PDA

View Full Version : Revision Requests from Agents?

noneofusis
01-22-2014, 01:34 AM
Hi there, I'm in a bit of an odd situation with my MS and want some agent advice on how to proceed.

Last week, an agent who had my partial requested a full and asked if I was open to revisions, to which I said yes, and sent her the full, knowing she'd send revision notes once she'd read it.

This week, an agent who had requested my full asked if I was open to revisions, I said yes, and she promptly sent me her notes on revisions (which I started implementing into a new draft of the MS).

My question is, do I need to let the first agent know I'm currently working on revisions from another agent, or do I need to let the second know another agent has asked if I was open to revisions? I'm a little confused as to how to go about this, and any help would be appreciated.

Aggy B.
01-22-2014, 01:45 AM
Hi there, I'm in a bit of an odd situation with my MS and want some agent advice on how to proceed.

Last week, an agent who had my partial requested a full and asked if I was open to revisions, to which I said yes, and sent her the full, knowing she'd send revision notes once she'd read it.

This week, an agent who had requested my full asked if I was open to revisions, I said yes, and she promptly sent me her notes on revisions (which I started implementing into a new draft of the MS).

My question is, do I need to let the first agent know I'm currently working on revisions from another agent, or do I need to let the second know another agent has asked if I was open to revisions? I'm a little confused as to how to go about this, and any help would be appreciated.

If it were me, I think I would tell agent #1 that you've received notes from another agent and are currently working to address Issue X and expand subplot M (or whatever the notes are). You don't need to give her all the details, just give her a general idea. You might find they are both seeing the same issues. I wouldn't worry about telling agent #2 that you're waiting on notes from someone else, since it could still be a while 'til you hear back from agent #1.

mayqueen
01-22-2014, 02:40 AM
I don't think you need to let either agent know what's going on. Although if you are *definitely* planning to make significant changes based on the other agent's feedback, you might ask the first agent if you can withdraw the ms and resubmit when revised. Others with more wisdom/experience than me will chime in. If you plan on revising, why not make sure that any agent is reading the strongest possible ms?

ETA: I say this because the first agent is under absolutely no obligation to give you feedback. Asking if you're open to making changes might just be that person's standard practice.

Debbie V
01-27-2014, 07:59 PM
I wouldn't inform the agents either way. You may receive notes you disagree with or realize the problem is different than what either one sees and revise accordingly.

Do keep separate versions of your document in case the two agents give opposite suggestions. That way if one rejects in the end, you won't have lost what the other loved.

Good luck with the revisions.