PDA

View Full Version : Exclusive Submissions

werewillf
01-21-2014, 10:17 PM
A couple weeks ago an agent requested an exclusive partial. I said sure because they were the first to get back to me.

This is hypothetical at this point, but what if another agent asks for a partial or full? Can I explain that another agency is exclusively reading right now and ask if I can get back to them when I hear from the other agency?

Jamiekswriter
01-21-2014, 10:36 PM
How long did agent 1 ask for exclusivity?

werewillf
01-22-2014, 07:51 AM
4-6 weeks. It's only been about 2 weeks now.

Old Hack
01-22-2014, 11:25 AM
If you get any other requests tell them that an agent currently has an exclusive on it, but that you'll send it on to them as soon as the exclusive period expires, and tell them the date that will be.

If the exclusive agent offers, ask for ten days to think about it then send it out to any other interested agents and let them know there's a time-limit.

mellymel
01-25-2014, 04:35 AM
Is it typical for an agent to ask for exclusivity on a partial? Just curious. What happens if the agent then wants to read the full? Is that included in the exclusivity deal from before or do they typically ask for another 4-6 weeks of exclusivity? It just seems such a loss of time to the querier who could be getting his or her work into the hands of multiple agents.

The whole exclusivity thing is a bit baffling to me. *scratches head*

Old Hack
01-25-2014, 01:46 PM
Is it typical for an agent to ask for exclusivity on a partial? Just curious.

No, in my experience it is not typical. If you are asked for an exclusive on a partial and agree to it, limit it to a couple of weeks at the longest.

What happens if the agent then wants to read the full? Is that included in the exclusivity deal from before or do they typically ask for another 4-6 weeks of exclusivity?

I'd guess that an agent who asks for an exclusive on a partial would want one on a full too. They might ask for four or six weeks but you don't have to agree to an exclusive if you're not happy with it; and you don't have to agree to such a long term, either.

It just seems such a loss of time to the querier who could be getting his or her work into the hands of multiple agents.

That's exactly what it is. Exclusives work in the agent's interests but not necessarily the authors'.

Very few agents ask for exclusives, and those who do will often agree to work without one when asked, or will agree to limit it in other ways.

The whole exclusivity thing is a bit baffling to me. *scratches head*

Actually, I think you've got to the nub of it when you say it's such a loss of time for queriers. Avoid exclusives when you can, limit them to short periods only when you can't avoid them, and if an agent won't budge on this point at all then consider if they're someone you want to work with.

alexaherself
01-25-2014, 10:11 PM
How long did agent 1 ask for exclusivity?4-6 weeks.

I'm a little concerned, reading this, that the agent apparently requested exclusivity rather vaguely. My first thought, reading your answer, was "Which is it - 4 weeks, or 6? You have to know this unambiguously, yourself, otherwise how do you know when you can give the partial to another agent?".

Anyway, Old Hack knows overwhelmingly more than I about this.

Personally, I think exclusives suck.