PDA

View Full Version : Self-publishing for kids?

geminirising
01-20-2014, 05:09 PM
I hope this is the right forum . . . I'm honestly not sure where to go!

I'm interested in running a summer writing workshop for kids. I'm only in the very beginning stages of planning, but I think the class would attract more parents' attention if there's an end product: either a physical book compilation of the class's work or a digital copy/magazine/journal that kids can share with friends and families. Are there any good programs or websites that might be helpful for creating and publishing/printing a project like this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Medievalist
01-20-2014, 07:57 PM
I hope this is the right forum . . . I'm honestly not sure where to go!

I'm interested in running a summer writing workshop for kids. I'm only in the very beginning stages of planning, but I think the class would attract more parents' attention if there's an end product: either a physical book compilation of the class's work or a digital copy/magazine/journal that kids can share with friends and families. Are there any good programs or websites that might be helpful for creating and publishing/printing a project like this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

For something like this, I'd look locally first. Try your local printing places, copy places, kinkos, Staples, Office Depot.

There's a chance you can get a good discount especially if the back of the book includes a thank you and statement about them providing the services.

Alternatively, it's dead easy to create a Web site using WordPress or blogger.

Keep in mind if you go online that you do need to protect the kids' identities/privacy.

shaldna
01-20-2014, 08:50 PM
Keep in mind if you go online that you do need to protect the kids' identities/privacy.

And don't forget that since they are minors, their parents/guardians will have to sign any contracts etc for them.

merrihiatt
01-20-2014, 10:50 PM
If you want to offer them something digitally, it's easy enough to type up the kids' work and upload photos to a Word document and save it as a pdf, giving each child/family a copy on CD or thumb drive.

I'm not exactly sure what your end product is supposed to look like (i.e., only text or text and images?). If the intention is for them to have something they take home and keep, CreateSpace can offer you a fairly inexpensive price per book page if it's around 60 pages. You'd be looking at around $2.10 a copy, plus shipping. The more you buy at one time, the better the shipping price is. I think they have a 20 to 25 page minimum. You would never have the book go live, so it wouldn't be available for sale, just as a proof copy (you can remove the last page with the word proof written on it fairly easily).

Literateparakeet
01-20-2014, 11:59 PM
One of my daughter's homeschool co-op classes did that. It was great. They collaborated on a plot for a novel, and then they each wrote a chapter from the view point of a different character. It all fit together to form a loose story line.

I think they used lulu.com (it was a few years ago, but you could also use createspace.com I hear it's cheaper). They only printed copies for the class. They didn't make them available for sale.

We still have the book, of course. I love it.

geminirising
01-23-2014, 03:35 AM
Thank you so much, everyone! Wonderful suggestions. I'm excited to look into them. :)