PDA

View Full Version : 2014: It's going to be a big year

Koelsong
01-20-2014, 05:00 AM
This is the year that I take up this journey in earnest. I've been writing for over 10 years now on and off. I've sold some short stories to semi-pro and pro markets. I've completed a couple of novels which have been trunked as learning novels.

At the end of last year I quit work to write full time. While that may seem premature, I'm past 40 now and I think it's time to give this 100% of my time and effort. The goal is to never go back to work, and I've given myself 5 years to achieve a livable income.

So, goals for this year:

1. Complete and revise the 15 short stories languishing on my hard drive, and then submit them until they sell.

2. Write and submit 5 new short stories to markets, making a total of 20 short stories for the year.

3. Complete the first draft of 2 novels (1 UF, 1 Fantasy).

4. Revise one novel to submission level and submit to agents/publishers.

5. Write a SF serial. If it comes out well, self-publish.

I think that should keep me busy :) I'll be writing full time, which means 4-6 hours a day while my son is at school. I think that's a reasonable amount for the year. Anything else will be a bonus.

I'm both nervous and excited, but glad to have the opportunity to go at this thing full-tilt.

M.

Phaeal
01-20-2014, 05:16 PM
Good luck with the switch to full time writing, and remember: It's still one day at a time. Pick reasonable daily word count goals (depends entirely on how fast YOU can write without burning out) and marketing days (for research and submitting) and GFI! Also, enjoy. :D

Koelsong
01-20-2014, 11:57 PM
Thanks Phaeal! Also, SO MANY SMILIES.

M :)

PamelaC
01-21-2014, 07:03 AM
You're living the dream! I hope you find all the success you want and then some!
As a teacher, I am fortunate enough to have a lot of time to dedicate to writing even with my job. But the thought of being able to make a living writing is one of my rainy day fantasies for sure! I can think of nothing better!
Go you!!

tfang1289
01-21-2014, 07:40 AM
Wow! That's a lot of writing for one year. I wish you the best of luck!!

Helix
01-21-2014, 08:23 AM
Good luck!

Siri Kirpal
01-22-2014, 02:43 AM
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Wishing you luck! (Not taking a chance on the poll. My guess is you'll just as you expected with some of it, better with some of it, and you'd rather not say what happened with some of it.)

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Koelsong
01-23-2014, 10:49 AM
Thanks all!

I just got back from a flying visit to Stanthorpe (highlands apple country) and while I was there managed to catch up with a science fiction author friend of mine. He's had a very up and down journey and learned a lot, and I am filing away all the information for future use.

While I was away (and out of internet range) I got three short story rejections. It is a simple truth, if you want to hear about your submissions, go on holiday :P One of them was a very nice invitation to submit again with something else, so that's what I'll be doing next week.

There are so many paths on this journey, and you never know where they will lead. The one thing I can control is my output. So, I write!

ClaraBrooks
01-23-2014, 01:56 PM
Wow - some impressive looking goals. Best of luck in achieveing them!

Koelsong
01-24-2014, 12:37 AM
Thank Clara. They are big goals, but achievable and they'll keep me hopping.

Koelsong
01-28-2014, 07:49 AM
Today my son went back to school so it was my first day of writing full time, no distractions. It was fantastic. To make it even better, we had light showers all day, it was steamy but cool and I had the best cup of tea to sip while I worked.

The standing desk was great, though I complained to hubby via email that I wasn't getting my daily steps up, and he suggested marching on the spot. Brilliant! I'm exhausted, but I feel awake and alive and I am amazed that I can actually type and march on the spot at the same time.

I'm currently revising a horror novelette that I wrote more than 3 years ago. It's got promise, but needs a lot of work. Still, I knocked off 9 scenes out of 28 today, which is a good start.

Tomorrow someone dies, which is always a great beginning to a writing day :)

M.

Koelsong
03-27-2014, 10:49 AM
My gosh, nearly April already. How am I doing?

I haven't sold anything (yet!) but got a couple of nice rejections. I have 8 short stories out on submission, 6 old ones freshly revised and 2 completely new ones.

The UF novel got trunked, and I'm glad of it *phew*. Now concentrating on the fantasy novel and the SF serial. I'm doing Camp NaNoWriMo in April when I hope to bust out another short and finish the first installment of the serial, around 30k words all up. Unfortunately April is also school holidays, so I will have to work hard to get my writing time each day!

A quarter of the year down already. Sheesh!