Local police department and federal agencies (US)

BrightSera

Neurotic Supernova
Registered
Reaction score
In a land far away filled with dark and stormy nig
If someone from a federal agency is coming into a local police jurisdiction to do something, do they have to tell the local police? And if they do, do they give notice beforehand?

I'm talking about something not really a big deal, by the way. Like talking to a witness or researching something.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I cant give a reply based upon specific knowledge. I assume there are guidelines in certain circumstances but it seems like a simple case of manners to me.

Why prejudice possible future contacts and co-operation?

Last edited:

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
If someone from a federal agency is coming into a local police jurisdiction to do something, do they have to tell the local police? And if they do, do they give notice beforehand?

I'm talking about something not really a big deal, by the way. Like talking to a witness or researching something.

It would depend on what. If they were taking a case as a federal offense, then they would inform the local police, but if they were investigating something that the local police were not interested in, then they would just go in and do whatever. There have been cases where state and federal police were investigating the same drug cases and they arrested each others' undercover agents.

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
It'll depend upon the investigating (federal) agency's protocols and specific circumstances involved in the case. While there may be some cases where it may be required, typically it's considered a courtesy. However, it may be well advised from an intelligence perspective. Generally speaking, it doesn't hurt to foster cooperative liaisons.

NeuroGlide

Out of my mind, leave a message
Registered
Reaction score
For what you specified, talking or research, they would only talk to the local if they thought that the local had some information that they needed or was relevant, like the witnesses known associates for finding them, or local knowledge about what they're researching.

Trebor1415

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
What agency? Probably the best answer would be to call the nearest field agency from whatever Fed agency and ask direct. The answer might be, "It depends," but if so, you can outline your scenario and they can offer guidance on what they'd probably do.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Your answers are no and no. Now tell us what you need for your story so we can give you answers that help.

Jeff

jkenton

Registered
Reaction score
If they susupect possible corruption or collusion in a local law enforcement agency, or in local or county government, then it's quite possible they wouldn't make a peep for fear that someone's "Friend on the force..." would leak it.