• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

For all the procrastinators, ditherers, and dawdlers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jango

Pew Pew Pew!
Registered
Reaction score
I suffer from writers block and extreme bouts of procrastination. I've read a lot of tales on here that describe situations all too similar to my own, and I've wanted to share this with nearly all of them. Instead, I thought I'd just post it in its own thread.

The other day, a friend shared this article with me and it felt like someone had peeked inside my brain. It's not specifically for writers, and it's not in any way scientific, but it has motivated me far more than anything else I've read in the last 10 years... and is brilliantly funny to boot. I cried with laughter, and that doesn't happen often.

I hope it helps some of you as it has helped me.

Niccolo

Registered
Reaction score
I stopped reading this about halfway through to check my email, look at the short story currently under construction to make sure it didn't write itself overnight, and to write this post. :ROFL: I'm hopeless.

Sobek

Registered
Reaction score
Interesting read so far—I spend too much time in The Dark Playground myself. :D

Paramite Pie

Registered
Reaction score
For anyone lacking regular visits from 'The Panic Monster', there's an App called 'Write or Die' which basically creates a sense of urgency as you write. You can choose various consequences for not achieving your word-count goal, from alarms ringing to your work being deleted!!

There's an encouragement mode which rewards you with motivational music/sounds/images. It can be used online for free or the full version can be downloaded with all the options!!

http://writeordie.com/

It's working for me! I need to feed my Panic Monster to get out of this rut I'm in!! I get so distracted, I've done everything mentioned in that article, from string theory documentaries to watching interviews with Bieber's dad. And videos of pimples being popped. Don't ask....

It's an eternal struggle.
:e2BIC: :e2seesaw: :e2cheer::e2bear::e2cheer:

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
Everyone I have shared that link with has said the same thing. Almost exactly.

OMG HE SO NAILED IT.

ahyup.

For anyone lacking regular visits from 'The Panic Monster', there's an App called 'Write or Die' which basically creates a sense of urgency as you write. You can choose various consequences for not achieving your word-count goal, from alarms ringing to your work being deleted!!

Sadly, this does not work for me because my procrastination kicks in before I can even get to Write or Die. Once I'm writing, I have no issues with staying on it and don't need the added push of the stress of losing my words due to a function of the program.

Last edited:

Papaya

Unfold your own myth. - Rumi
Registered
Reaction score
This has been a lifelong ailment of mine, but now that I know what's wrong with me, I should be a lot closer to finding a cure. I would read, How to Beat Procrastination, but that would mean putting off work even longer than I already have. :D

Jett.

House: RumNcoke; Sigil: Jelly Donut
Registered
Reaction score
Follow the yellow brick road, follow, follow, follow the yellow brick road...

That was spot on. Great visualizations.
It's nice that it's from someone who is not looking at you from the other side of the fence - no ding dong the Monkey is dead.
Though one could still sing that song about the bricks...

Last edited:

Suzanna Owen

Registered
Reaction score
I've been spending a lot of time in the Dark Playground lately. The lines for the rides are short, and I can't seem to stay off them.

Sketti

Registered
Reaction score
Erm... I'm in the Dark Playground right now... I'm at work, clearly not working. *shifty*

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
That Primate Awards link...time-sucky-er than the Procrastination post itself. I made sure to pass it around. Especially to other procrastinators I know. :evil

Last edited:

aus10phile

committed plantser
Registered
Reaction score
"This post was posted late, not only because it took me 2,000 years to do, but also because I decided that Monday night was an urgent time to open Google Earth, hover a few hundred feet above the southern tip of India, and scroll all the way up India to the top of the country, to “get a better feel for India.” I have problems."

Yeah, that part was totally me. Most of what I've learned post-college I've learned when I should be doing something else.

I'm actually pretty good at not procrastinating on my book, assuming I'm not in the midst of an episode of serious writer-self-loathing, but the writing I currently get paid for... um, yeah. I have major issues there, ever since I've been working from home. Sometimes it's like I can't even think for three seconds about something I have to get done before I'm bouncing off to check my email and so forth.

Isilya

Rogues, thieves, and knaves abound
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you so much for posting this.

It's nice to now I'm not alone.

GhostWhoWalks

Hidden in plain sight
Registered
Reaction score
What's funny about this is that I'm not a procrastinator...all of the time. Sure, I'll get the instances where I'm not feeling confident about something and then I'll spend some time dawdling, and that part of the article definitely made a lot of sense. But usually, when I know what I need to do, I'm pretty good about figuring out the how and finding the most efficient way to achieve it.

But what really gets me are the instances where I need to do something but have no idea where to even get started...and then sometimes, never do. Have a concrete list of goals someone else has given me? Sure, we're good to go. Trying to figure out how to do something I've never done before and no one I know can offer advice about? That's when I end up just spinning my wheels for a while until something hits me that gives me a direction.

Jango

Pew Pew Pew!
Registered
Reaction score
Have a concrete list of goals someone else has given me? Sure, we're good to go. Trying to figure out how to do something I've never done before and no one I know can offer advice about? That's when I end up just spinning my wheels for a while until something hits me that gives me a direction.

Yeah - sounds familiar!! I can write to brief with no problems at all. It's when given free reign that I struggle...

Dysnomia

Drowning in the depthless sea
Registered
Reaction score
OMG. It's so accurate! Thanks for posting this!! Made me laugh out loud so many times too.

Status
Not open for further replies.