2014: The year I complete a first draft and possibly take up drinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PamelaC

Registered
Reaction score
I have other goals too, like getting the horse I raised and trained into the show ring, and implementing more collaborative work in my classroom. But 2014 is also going to be the year I write a complete first draft of a novel. I've been an "aspiring" writer for most of my life. I turn 40 in March, and I've decided it's time to sh*t or get off the pot.

The drinking thing is sort of a joke, though I'm thinking a glass of wine might get this story flowing out even better! I'm considering it!

Started the WIP yesterday and it stands at 2,962 words. I've got a big scene coming up to write tomorrow. Just read over what I've written so far and it's deliciously awful. I love it!

PamelaC

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks!
4,284 words down. I hope to get at least another 1,000 done today. I love lazy Sundays when we have a three-day weekend! Woo Hoo!

PamelaC

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you!
6,174 words! I'm thrilled! And I want to write more, but I'm already late for dinner!

Praying this momentum keeps up!

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Great start, but remember: Novel writing's a long haul, so if you feel your pace is beginning to burn you out, don't be afraid to slow down. 500-1000 words a day, every day, will get you farther than 3000 words a day in fits and starts. Some people can comfortably do 3000 words a day, or even more; whatever your own steady pace is will make itself known over a couple months of daily writing.

Good luck with all the goals!

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
What Phaeal says! If you slow down, it's totally fine. I'm a tortoise more than a hare. I love that initial burst of momentum and excitement - hope it lasts a long time. :-D Enjoy the process and it's great you're having fun. Best of luck!

PamelaC

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys!
Yeah, I know I won't be able to keep up this kind of word count consistently. I've just been blessed with a quiet (and long) weekend and a burst of inspiration, so I wanted to take advantage. I think my goal will be 500 words a day from here on out. If I do more, great, but I'll be happy to get 500 words.

I've just done 2,084 words today, bringing my total to 8,261. I'm going to take a break for awhile and do some brainstorming and such for the scenes I want to write in the coming week.

I might write more this evening, but if I don't, I'm happy with today's effort.

ETA: 9,207 words! Ahhhhhh!!!!!
ETA2: 10,058 words!! Whew! That's it for tonight, but I'm looking forward to tomorrow's scene/chapter/whatever.

Last edited:

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
Great going Pamela! The thing is to work through those moments when you feel everything you write is rubbish and continue writing, even if it's only a few words or 'tweaks'. And wine may help with the stress, however, I find dagger throwing always gets rid of my tension.
Just kidding.
I think.;)

PamelaC

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Pisco! Dagger throwing! I could get into that!

So, I've just finished 708 words for today's writing. I think it's actually going to be good for me to condition myself to do these smaller daily goals. Those 708 words came pretty easily, and that's 208 more than my goal.

Now I can go relax! :)

ETA: Snow day today!! That means much writing! Going to make me a big breakfast, fill my belly, then go to it!
ETA2: I'm at 12,606 words after today's writing. Whew! Back to reality tomorrow. :)

Last edited:

PamelaC

Registered
Reaction score
Got a little bit done today. This was rough after having so many days off to write at my leisure. We started the second semester at school today, which means I was standing and talking all day. I was/am beat! But it was a good day, and I still managed over 800 words. It was like pulling teeth, but I've ended halfway through a scene, and after staring into space and gnashing my teeth for a bit, I've got the next half of the scene figured out! So at least I know what I'll be writing tomorrow evening!
Total word count now: 13,448.

Elorenalory

Dreamer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elenalinville.wordpress.com
I finished my very first draft a few days back and I can give you one piece of advise - choose a comfortable daily word count and stick to it. Sit down and write every day and don't stop until you reach that word count. Anything on top of that is an extra bonus, but never below. That's the only way you are going to reach THE END - getting your butt in the chair and your fingers on the keyboard (or pen and paper) whether it's a good writing day or not.

Good luck on your goal, you can do it!

PamelaC

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks!
I feel like I've been run over by a truck today. Work really took it out of me, but thank goodness it's Friday! After I get the horses taken care of for the evening (such a joy when it's 18 degrees outside), I'm going to take a hot bath, get in my jammies, and go camp in front of the computer for an hour or two to finish the scene I started yesterday and at least start the next one.

ETA: I did it. 503 words. I honestly thought I was going to fink out and not write, but I made myself! Still haven't finished the one scene, but I'm closer.
ETA2: I was bad and didn't write yesterday at all! But I made up for it today by writing about 1,100 words bringing my total to 15,051.

Last edited:

Spell-it-out

I'm gonna give all my secrets away
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Great work, Pamela! That's a superb start, I hope you keep it up.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Go for a nutritious smoothie instead:
-cup of blueberries
-cup of milk
-banana
-ice
few minutes in the blender

ps congrats in advance :)

PamelaC

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the encouragement, and I'm proud to say I haven't resorted to drinking yet, LOL!
I was bad again yesterday, and didn't write. We've got a snowstorm coming in (and it's a big deal here in Eastern NC), so I was busy getting prepped for that. But no school/work today, so I got some writing done! Over 1,200 words to bring my total to 16,288.
More importantly, some key plot points have revealed themselves to me today, and I feel like the story has much more depth and meaning now. In a way, this first draft is pretty much how I'm figuring out what my story even IS and who my characters are, etc. I can't wait for the second draft when I can do the story that is emerging justice!

Well, time to stare out the window and wait for snow.

ETA: got another 1,200 or so done! 17,510 and counting! And another day home tomorrow, so hopefully more productivity!!

Last edited:

PamelaC

Registered
Reaction score
1,700+ words today! 19,251 total! Possibility of more tonight (I'd like to cross that 20,000 mark!) And another snow day tomorrow! More writing!

PamelaC

Registered
Reaction score
I crossed the 20,000 mark for the first time in my life!! Woo Hoo!

22,024 words! 94 pages!

And another snow day tomorrow! I'm going to hate making those days up, but it's been a great stretch of writing!

ETA: As of 1/31 at 7:36pm - 23,814 words (102 pages). Happy dance for breaking the 100 page mark!

Last edited:

PamelaC

Registered
Reaction score
I thought it was going to be a 500 word day at best, but I persevered and forced myself through a grueling scene. 1,300+ words to bring my total to 25,176!! That means if this first draft is in the neighborhood of 100,000 words, I'm approximately 1/4 of the way there! Excited!!

PamelaC

Registered
Reaction score
Yay! Thanks, Kylabelle!

1,100+ words today. Total of 26,279 now. And a major plot point that I didn't see coming! It worried me at first because it seemed like my plot was getting unmanageable, but I think I've got it under control now, and it actually makes the story much richer (and probably longer).

ETA: 2/3 update...Had to go back to work today after the snow week! Blech! But I still managed 1,000+ this evening. Total is now 27,264 (because I edited some of yesterday's and cut about 50 words in the process.)
And I actually wrote a sentence I LIKE (!!) so I'm going to post it in the Favorite Lines thread.

Last edited:

PamelaC

Registered
Reaction score
1,097 words tonight. 28,361 total. I'm tired and it was pulling teeth to get to the end of the scene, but it's done.
Tomorrow I think I'm going to introduce a new character. That should be fun!

ETA: 2/5 update - 700 words tonight. 29,061 total. Didn't quite get to new character yet, but almost. Hopefully tomorrow he gets to make himself known AND I'll reach 30,000.

Last edited:

PamelaC

Registered
Reaction score
Didn't reach 30,000 yet, but did introduce new character. Actually two. I'm too fried after a long day at work to do much. Got 671 words down. Total is 29,732.
Tomorrow is Friday! Yay! Looking forward to a good amount of writing this weekend. I need to spend some time plotting and planning.

Status
Not open for further replies.