Status
Not open for further replies.

NancyMehl

She Who Resonates...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nancymehlbooks.com
Usually I can do most of my research online. Sometimes I'll work with local police, etc., when necessary. However, I need some info and I just can't find it online.

I need to know the number of miles (approximately) between Kansas and China. I also would like to check a couple of Mandarin translations I've done from online information. I think they're right, but I'm not certain.

If anyone knows even a little Mandarin, or can't tell me where to find my mileage info, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Nancy

Scribhneoir

Reinventing Myself
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One of my co-workers speaks Mandarin. I asked and he's willing to translate. Let me know if you need his help.

Valona

Registered
Reaction score
Try Google Earth. I'm not sure, but I think there's a way to calculate that in there.

ideagirl

Registered
Reaction score
NancyMehl said:
I need to know the number of miles (approximately) between Kansas and China.

The reason that's tricky--apart from the fact that Kansas and China are both too big to get a precise answer unless you name a specific city in each place--is because the answer depends on whether you're describing a trip that a person could take from city X in Kansas to city Y China or just the raw distance between the cities. If you just want raw distance, you could put a tape measure on a globe and do the math (check the scale of the globe) to come up with the answer.

If you're talking about an actual trip that a person could really take, you could find out how a person would get from the city in Kansas to the city in China (road plus plane--and it will be at least two plane trips, to my knowledge there are no direct flights between Kansas and China) and add up the mileage of each trip. If you're talking about a trip that a person could take if they were, say, chartering a jet or flying their own plane, I would suggest looking on aviation sites and asking if there are online distance calculators that aviators use--or if you don't need the absolute exact distance, you could figure out what the most direct trip would be (say, Kansas City to LA to Shanghai or whatever--look for cities at close to the same latitude), find out what the mileage is for those two plane trips, and add them together.

Scribhneoir

Reinventing Myself
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You're welcome, Nancy. I've got a source for Cantonese, too, if you ever need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.