PDA

View Full Version : phone call mid-read?!... and... ARRGH?!

Lonegungrrly
01-17-2014, 01:51 AM
So I sent a query to an agent before xmas with the first three chapters. A few days later, he replied saying he'd read the first 3, liked it, and thought the attachment was the full ms and could he send me the full, please? um.. sure!

Then 8th jan (not that it isn't engrained into my mind or anything!)

he phoned me, out of the blue, said he was half way through the full ms, and really enjoying it. We basically had a 20 minute convo about the characters... what I'd like to do in the future, (series potential came up) and how he thought my ms was "exceptionally polished". He asked me how many other people had the query, I said a handful, but he was in my top 3. Then he even used the words (and I swear I wasn't hallucinating) "Well, please don't sign with anyone else until I've finished reading"

He said he'd finish reading, then be back in touch soon.

I know guys, I KNOW it's only been a few days! but with how fast he responded all the other times, I just kinda assumed he'd phone a few days after.

basically... this is a good thing right? And... He hasn't forgotten about me? and... How long should I leave it until I give him a polite email for an update?

thanks!
*happy dance*

Calla Lily
01-17-2014, 03:17 AM
1. Congrats!
2. Do NOT email.
3. Breathe.
4. Catch up on Game of Thrones or Breaking Bad or something long on Netflix.
5. Breathe.
6. That's pretty much how I signed with my agent. :) Good luck!

Putputt
01-17-2014, 03:33 AM
Congratulations!!!

It's only been a few days, so I wouldn't nudge. I'd send a nudge e-mail maybe in a month's time, if you still haven't heard back. Best of luck!!

Filigree
01-17-2014, 03:43 AM
What everyone else said. Be cool, go do something else. You are already better off than most unpublished authors. Good luck, and keep us posted!

Cathy C
01-17-2014, 04:10 AM
First, :hooray:

Second, Definitely breathe.

Third, remember that once the agent has read it, he might well need to take a few days to mull it in his mind and think about what editor(s) to show it to.

You're in a good place. Just relax and enjoy the rush for now. :)

arkanis50
01-17-2014, 04:22 AM
Sounds like a good problem to have!

Siri Kirpal
01-17-2014, 04:48 AM
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Hang in there!

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Hanson
01-17-2014, 04:49 AM
So I sent a query to an agent before xmas with the first three chapters. A few days later, he replied saying he'd read the first 3, liked it, and thought the attachment was the full ms and could he send me the full, please? um.. sure!

Then 8th jan (not that it isn't engrained into my mind or anything!)

he phoned me, out of the blue, said he was half way through the full ms, and really enjoying it. We basically had a 20 minute convo about the characters... what I'd like to do in the future, (series potential came up) and how he thought my ms was "exceptionally polished". He asked me how many other people had the query, I said a handful, but he was in my top 3. Then he even used the words (and I swear I wasn't hallucinating) "Well, please don't sign with anyone else until I've finished reading"

He said he'd finish reading, then be back in touch soon.

I know guys, I KNOW it's only been a few days! but with how fast he responded all the other times, I just kinda assumed he'd phone a few days after.

basically... this is a good thing right? And... He hasn't forgotten about me? and... How long should I leave it until I give him a polite email for an update?

thanks!
*happy dance*

1. Congrats!
2. Do NOT email.
3. Breathe.
4. Catch up on Game of Thrones or Breaking Bad or something long on Netflix.
5. Breathe.
6. That's pretty much how I signed with my agent. :) Good luck!

Toughy. I'm gonna have to say....

Game of Thrones

just to clarify, BB is better, but it aint chillin out Tv, so...

RaisaLlyn
01-17-2014, 06:03 AM
Wow! congrats! Keep us posted and good luck:)

Lonegungrrly
01-17-2014, 02:03 PM
Thanks guys!

I think I'll crack on with a different writing project, and see what comes of it.

I am ashamed to admit I'm doing that thing where I feel like I'm going to have a heart attack every time my phone rings.

Speaking of game of thrones... I wish it were back on air sooner it's my fave show (and book series, tho I don't write in that genre)

V.J. Allison
01-17-2014, 02:26 PM
Congratulations! I hope you hear from him, with good news, soon!

Parametric
01-17-2014, 03:01 PM
I wouldn't entirely get your hopes up at this stage. It's not unknown for agents to seem excited but then disappear off the face of the earth. Hope for the best, expect the worst. :)

Lonegungrrly
01-17-2014, 04:48 PM
I wouldn't entirely get your hopes up at this stage. It's not unknown for agents to seem excited but then disappear off the face of the earth. Hope for the best, expect the worst. :)

Very true. I Just hope I know one way or the other eventually :)

Hip-Hop-a-potamus
01-17-2014, 05:12 PM
Jealous!

Good vibes and all that stuff being sent from up north. You're definitely in a good place!

Hip

Rhoda Nightingale
01-17-2014, 05:15 PM
Congratulations!!!

That is indeed a problem I'd love to have. And I third the recommendation of marathoning some good popcorn-TV. That's an excellent way to pass the time if you're too keyed up. I'd suggest reading the GoT books as well, but if you're anything like me, then you'll only get halfway down the page before your mind flips out and you start wanting to check your email again.

Keep cool, and good luck!

Phaeal
01-17-2014, 06:25 PM
Keep writing. The signs are all positive, so you may want to have new MS to discuss before long.

And whatever happens, you know your current MS-in-sub has legs.

Hang in -- art is long, and so is publishing.

Lonegungrrly
01-20-2014, 02:42 PM
Mini update nothing big

Still not heard anything, but it hasn't even been 2 weeks yet, and I have looked (obsessed?) overy tons of older threads on here and that seems the norm. I think the wait has snapped me out of my giddy stupid make a fool of myself excitement so hopefully if I do get another call I can be slightly more professional!! Haha

Also, 40k into my new book, which is completely different genre to the one out at the moment. I just needed a complete break from it. Ive also (rather optimistically) outlined the sequels for the one out, so at least im using my time wisely. Still madenning tho!

Oh and I powered through Many seasons of House! Thanks for all the replies it has helped me keep occupied!

Also a dumb question... I live 300 miles away from said potential agents... I've read up a lot but can you be represented at least initially without ever meeting face to face?

Parametric
01-20-2014, 02:44 PM
You don't need to ever meet an agent. Phone and email is plenty. Agents represent writers on different continents, let alone 300 miles away. :)

Lonegungrrly
02-12-2014, 03:33 AM
Got a call today, 4 weeks after the first call, with more positive feedback and a list of revisions. We had a long chat on the phone, and I came away very positive! I Haven't I been given a deadline, and one revision in particular is extensive, so I'm going to take my time. He wants to see it when I'm done, which is something to work towards!

Calla Lily
02-12-2014, 04:00 AM
Much good luck!

Cathy C
02-12-2014, 05:06 AM
Fingers crossed for you! :)

Siri Kirpal
02-12-2014, 10:56 PM
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Ah! An R & R. May it go well!

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

mahervolous
02-12-2014, 11:58 PM
You're doing great! Something to work on and sink your teeth into, not a bad problem to have. The wait is killer, though. If you ever get tired of people moping around Westeros killing each other or a teacher cooking meth, check out Spaced on Netflix. It is a fantastic British sitcom and will take your mind (at least some of it) away from the refresh button on your email.

atthebeach
02-13-2014, 03:04 AM
Congrats!!!

alwazoo
02-13-2014, 05:12 AM
Congratulations! Seems like it is moving in the right direction!!

SunshineonMe
02-22-2014, 11:28 AM
Congrats!! I love that you keep us updated.