View Full Version : Cat & Kittens

03-02-2006, 06:45 PM
Hi Everyone,

I had two articles accepted for publication by Cats & Kittens almost a year ago. I contacted Rita Davis to find out what's happening in August 05 and she said, they were not yet scheduled for publication and I could withdraw them if I wanted. But, I want to be published in Cats & Kittens - so I left them.

Today again, I sent an email to find out what's happening and she said the same thing.

Now, the problem is I still don't want to withdraw them, but I feel as though I should give some kind of ultimatum, but I STILL want to be published in Cats & Kittens because I've already been published in Cats World (UK) and Cat Fancy and it represents one more pet magazine on my resume.

Any advice??? (And be nice)

Reece :Shrug:

03-02-2006, 07:01 PM
The mag, no doubt, pays on publication. This means that they'll file accepted stories until they're good and ready to publish them. Not much you can do, but if you want them in that particular mag, wait. I'd say the next move, depending on your wants and patients, is to withdraw them rather than query again.

03-03-2006, 05:52 PM
Do they pay well? If so, I would just let it ride. I've had several articles accepted by one magazine with the understanding that they like my "voice" and will continue to accept anything I send and hold it for publication according to their needs. That's fine with me. I want that credit on my list, and they are one of the better-paying markets. If I find a better market, I'll reconsider, but for now the articles aren't costing me anything just sitting in an editor's file, so I'll leave them there.

You could, meanwhile, query some other publications to see if there's any other interest in those pieces. I did that with an article that was languishing on CC. I found a market for it and pulled it from my queue (though I'll put it back there once it has run as the contract only bought first NA serial rights for the duration of one run). If you think you have a better market for your articles, then withdraw them, but if it's just a case of getting antsy, stop thinking about those two articles and move on to other things.

03-03-2006, 06:54 PM
The only real problem I see in letting a publication hold onto a number of articles is the risk that you might become well known in that writing niche to command a better fee for your writing and they'll have those articles at what might then be a bargain basement price. Not likely for most of us, but as a precaution you need to keep track of those so you can use them elsewhere should you achieve popularity as a writer.

03-03-2006, 08:04 PM
Hi Everyone,

But, having recieved a private message from a fellow writer, my almost one year wait seems short in comparision to how long they had to wait!! Uh Oh!

Hence, I contacted Cats & Kittens and said if my pieces are not going to be published in 2006 I want them back AND, just look at the response from the editor:

I cannot guarantee the articles will be published in 2006. It would be in your best interest to withdraw the stories.

No love lost or money at 10 cents a word!

Thanks eveyone for your input


03-04-2006, 02:13 AM
Well, isn't that interesting!

What, exactly, did they tell you when they accepted the articles? Do you mind sharing that?

03-05-2006, 06:07 PM
I don't have the acceptance email anymore (hard drive crash) but it was accepted in Jan 2005!


03-05-2006, 07:17 PM
I certainly know how that song goes!

I was just curious as to their wording. No one likes to be left dangling, and I've found over the years that there are an infinite variety of invisible verbal clues that suggest that's about to happen. I was hoping to add yours to my growing dictionary.

03-05-2006, 09:41 PM
Sure wish their email could have been more positive, Reece. Unless a writer doesn't mind waiting a long time, and I mean a long time, then it's not a good idea to submit to that mag. imho.