PDA

View Full Version : i need a character to go to sleep in a hospital

bifferspice
01-15-2014, 06:16 PM
i'm writing a story where a teenager is left unattended in a hospital, and he NEEDS to go to sleep ASAP. he's panicking cos he's in an emergency situation, so he's not going to just lie down and go to sleep.

but he's in a hospital and therefore can sneak into various rooms/whatever and so i need to find a way for him to do it.

would make most sense storywise for him to take an OD of something, but he has to recover, too. thing is, i know nothing about this.

is there anything he could take an OD of that would make him go to sleep/pass out, and that he could get his stomach pumped and recover? and how long after taking it would he pass out?

be very grateful for any feedback to this cryptic situation:)

Cyia
01-15-2014, 06:20 PM
You're not going to get drugs that easy in a hospital.

Pills aren't left unattended. They're in locked rooms, and when on the hall, they're in locked carts. Doses are handed to patients who are supervised as they take them. Most sleeping meds will be IV, and it's the same for pain meds.

Anything taken by mouth in pill form is going to take a long time to work. For quick results, you need liquid or IV, but you can't pump out the IV.

mirandashell
01-15-2014, 06:23 PM
Can I ask why it needs to be so complicated? You're aren't talking about sleep, you're talking about unconsciousness.

robjvargas
01-15-2014, 06:53 PM
The kid's going to have to be in possession of whatever he uses before he got to the hospital.

Here's an example: Out with mom to dinner. Accident. Mom goes to ER, boy has her purse. Mom has sleeping pills. Boy spies them while waiting. Takes one. He thinks there's no effect, so he takes another. Then another. A chain reaction until he falls asleep. Maybe in the waiting lounge. Nurse sees him with the prescription bottle loose in his hand.

That makes the kid pretty stupid. But people undergoing stress (possibly a form of shock, depending on why the relative is in the ER) don't always think straight, either.

bifferspice
01-15-2014, 08:19 PM
thanks everyone :)

further info on exact circumstances.

14 year old boy has 14 year old girl friend who is in a coma in hospital after an overdose.

he can communicate with her only when he is asleep.

her signs are going all over the place. emergency. he needs to sleep to communicate with her. obviously, panicking, he can't just lie down and sleep, so he needs to find a way, even life-threatening way, to get himself to sleep as fast as he can.

he's in a hospital, but has no special medical knowledge, though i could easily set up that he knows about certain sleeping pills etc, as he has nightmares and is seeing a shrink.

could he go round taking sleeping pills from a pharmacy? guessing that's well locked up and maintained.
take someone's prescription? if they're patients, they're only going to get one pill at a time, aren't they? and they'll be in those little cardboard holders, so he wouldn't even know what they were.

don't think he'd know how to anesthetize himself, as that takes some knowhow.

CetiAlphaVI
01-15-2014, 09:28 PM
Frantically he is running around the hospital from room to room looking for something to put him to sleep and while he runs through some remote lab or storeroom with the lights out he slips on a wet spot leftover by a clumsy janitor. He smacks the floor knocking himself out, unintentionally giving himself the same condition he was intentionally going for. That one could also be played up to add a touch of irony or comic relief if your story so needs it.

buirechain
01-15-2014, 10:05 PM
This may be a thought you've considered, in which case feel free to ignore. But how important is proximity to the telepathic (I'm guessing) link? It may actually be easier to get something from outside the hospital, either in a 24 hour pharmacy not linked to the hospital, which would have over the counter meds including sleep aids, or, depending on the neighborhood, they could find an illegal drug dealer within a couple blocks.

I just keep thinking (and again, you may have thought of that) that if your character does go unconscious from drugs somewhere in a hospital, they might be found quickly and revived.

wendymarlowe
01-16-2014, 12:06 AM
You can get over-the-counter sleep aids from grocery stores or pharmacies. Best place to sleep at a hospital is probably in your car, in the parking lot, if you have one.

ULTRAGOTHA
01-16-2014, 12:33 AM
Is he *admitted* to the hospital, or just there as a visitor? If the latter he can probably get some benedryl from the gift shop or the pharmacy next door.

If the former he's probably SOL. Medicines just aren't available in hospitals. Even the Over the Counter stuff is under tight control.

If his GF's in a coma, can he communicate with her? If she's in a coma, she's not asleep.

bifferspice
01-16-2014, 01:04 PM
thanks everyone - all good things to think about.

I just keep thinking (and again, you may have thought of that) that if your character does go unconscious from drugs somewhere in a hospital, they might be found quickly and revived.

i actually quite like that idea. it works well with the urgency of the scene :)

Is he *admitted* to the hospital, or just there as a visitor? If the latter he can probably get some benedryl from the gift shop or the pharmacy next door.

If the former he's probably SOL. Medicines just aren't available in hospitals. Even the Over the Counter stuff is under tight control.

If his GF's in a coma, can he communicate with her? If she's in a coma, she's not asleep.

it's the latter. he's visiting her. and your last sentence is pertinent to the plot. i think and hope my reasoning, while not remotely medical, makes enough sense at a cursory level, that the viewer can suspend disbelief. :)

CetiAlphaVI, I like it. It would work in a different part of the film, I think, but this is the climax of the film, and must be dramatic not comedic, so I don't think I'll use it. Nice lateral thinking though :)

drummerdad
01-16-2014, 03:57 PM
He will have to bring any medicinal sleep aids with him. He won't get far snooping around a hospital. Most hospitals I have visited will not allow minors to visit without an adult. He probably wouldn't be able to buy certain medicines or sleep aids at 14 either. Maybe he can sleep in a car in the parking lot, as previously suggested. Or if proximity is an issue, maybe there can be a maintenance crew, or window washing crew who leave a ladder, or scaffolding in place. It might add some desperation to the scene if he is willing to fall asleep in a dangerous situation to talk to her. And if he falls, while unconscious and relaxed, he wouldn't be hurt as bad, at least that's what I have been lead to believe. I don't know if there is any science behind that.

Maxx B
01-16-2014, 11:29 PM
I like the frantic searching for a way to put himself to sleep, when he knocks himself out idea. You can add to the drama with a bit of frantic searching, then wham! lights out and problem is solved.

Drachen Jager
01-17-2014, 12:24 AM
What about the guy just freaks out on everyone. None of the hospital staff know what's wrong with him, he fights an orderly to get into the pharmacy, gets tackled by a few attendants, but fights on.

Just when he thinks it's hopeless, a doc sticks a needle full of sedative in his ass. (that's protocol for an unknown person flipping out in a hospital, isn't it?)

WeaselFire
01-17-2014, 01:03 AM
Just when he thinks it's hopeless, a doc sticks a needle full of sedative in his ass. (that's protocol for an unknown person flipping out in a hospital, isn't it?)
Only on TV. An unknown person flipping out is delivered to the local police. Giving sedatives to somebody who has not been diagnosed is a serious risk and would get any hospital employee fired.

For the OP:

You gave him telepathic communication, give him the ability to reach a dream state based on meditation. He just needs a quiet, out of the way place. And every hospital has a chapel.

Jeff

bifferspice
01-17-2014, 03:46 PM
thanks very much everyone - you've all been really helpful, and this whole thread's making me consider ideas i'd have never come up with, so i really appreciate it :)

I like the frantic searching for a way to put himself to sleep, when he knocks himself out idea. You can add to the drama with a bit of frantic searching, then wham! lights out and problem is solved.
hmm, i'd seen it first time as a comedy scene, which i didn't really want, but you're right. it doesn't have to be, if it was played from a more frantic POV. someone elsewhere suggested hyperventilating from the panic, and then realising he's feeling dizzy, and then deliberately continuing to the point of fainting. i quite like that idea too. falling over and accidentally knocking himself out is clearly not deliberate, and this is the final "rescue the girl" climax scene, so stumbling on it doesn't seem as satisfying as using his brains to put himself through an unpleasant experience in order to save his girl.

thanks again, some great ideas on this place :)