Mindset Difference, Fiction vs. Non-Fiction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed that different "set ups" work better for different types of writing?

When I write (flash) fiction, prefer late nights when everyone is asleep. I turn down the lights, light a candle and flop on the sofa in an almost semi-sleep state. Sometimes I find a song and play the same one over and over.

This doesn't work so well with non-fiction. My usual fiction writing set up feels sloppy, uncomfortable and annoying. I seem to concentrate better and get more done sitting at a table, preferably during the day.

Anyone else?

Last edited:

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Nope. Not for me. I can't write with distractions like music or scents. Blog, article or fiction...all the same setting for me. :Shrug:

Last edited:

MookyMcD

I go to eleven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michaeljmcdonagh.wordpress.com
I can drop out of and then back into what I'm writing if it's nonfiction with little difficulty. I kind of "go into" the novel when I'm writing fiction, and getting pulled out is really disruptive -- a 30 second interruption probably costs me more than five minutes of productivity. In nonfiction, it costs me about 33 seconds of productivity.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
No, not for me. Similar setup, similar time of day, etc.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

No difference in time of day. But distractions are harder to deal with if I'm working on fiction. Nonfiction, I can usually hop right back in.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

The Scip

...walks this way.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thescip.blogspot.com
Almost all of my writing is done at night. For whatever reason this has always produced the best results for me. There have been times when I've gone on day-long marathons of writing non-fiction. I've been able to pump out 20,000 words in a weekend polished a ready to go. For fiction writing (which I prefer) there is a lot that goes on in my head before I actually write anything down. Because of this I usually write in spurts, 1,000 - 2,000 words at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.