Magic The Gathering: The Film Franchise

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/fox-bring-magic-gathering-big-670529

A multi-film franchise based on MTG.
I don't even.

Even better:
The studio has enlisted Simon Kinberg, the Fox-based writer-producer who is also helping shepherd the X-Men and Fantastic Four universes at the studio, to produce the adaptation.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Kinberg#Filmography
Nothing that makes me hopeful for this in that list.

Besides, there's just no concrete story in MTG. Yes, there are tie-ins, but it all just comes out of flavor text. There's no structure, and everything is simultaneously happening on a dozen different worlds.

I wish they'd stop making games without even a pretension of a plot into films. I'm looking at you Battleship.

Last edited:

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
Why is this a bad thing?

Do you think that a film set in the world hinted at by MTG would necessarily be a bad thing?

PoC was a massive success. It was set in the world hinted at by a certain ride. But if you thought that meant that the film would be automatically bad quality then you'd simply be wrong.

You seem aghast that Kinberg is producing - Why?
He's got a great track record at creating films that connect to an audience (audience members have spent over a billion dollars to see his films) - so why is that so bad ? Sure - he's also made some that didn't catch the public's imagination ... but is there any screen writer or producer with a 100% track record?

If your reaction means anything - there must be many producers that you wouldn't be aghast at.

Why not list your top 5 here ?

Mac

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Why is this a bad thing?

Do you think that a film set in the world hinted at by MTG would necessarily be a bad thing?

PoC was a massive success. It was set in the world hinted at by a certain ride. But if you thought that meant that the film would be automatically bad quality then you'd simply be wrong.

You seem aghast that Kinberg is producing - Why?
He's got a great track record at creating films that connect to an audience (audience members have spent over a billion dollars to see his films) - so why is that so bad ? Sure - he's also made some that didn't catch the public's imagination ... but is there any screen writer or producer with a 100% track record?

If your reaction means anything - there must be many producers that you wouldn't be aghast at.

Why not list your top 5 here ?

Mac
I don't have directors I want, because I don't think it should be a film franchise. I just don't see a way to make it a true MTG film.
One of the two things happens:
1) It sticks to the universe and then doesn't work out well because MTG just doesn't support this kind of storytelling.
2) It breaks from the MTG universe to make the film work . . . at which point the use of the MTG setting seems rather superfluous. Just make it an original film.
Even the MTG stories that exist are massively disconnected from one another. They sometimes share characters, but like I said there's nothing in terms of an overall plot at work in the MTG universe.
PoTC was far more original storytelling than anything based on the ride.

I have no patience or hope left in me right now for people trying to make good films out of simply trying to adapt everything in sight.

P.S. PoTC was good quality? The first one was OK, after that . . .

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
This should be the maincharacter. I accept no substitutes.

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
Actually, there currently IS an over-arching storyline connecting the expansions at the moment, and there has been for a few years now. Following a handful of planeswalkers on their trips through the multiverse and the rising tide of evil they encounter (most of which, fittingly enough for a movie, are actually the machinations of an evil dragon planeswalker).

The dangers are mainly two-fold.

1. They try to somehow incorporate the actual card game into the movie. For example, some real-world whiz kid gets sucked through a portal with his collection and saves the universe by playing his cards and watching them actually come to life.

2. They incorporate the movie title: "Magic: The Gathering" into the movie and specifically make it about a "gathering" of some sort. Not as dangerous as the first thought, but could still be very, very bad in the wrong hands.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
I know there are some stories happening, like what went down on Innistrad with Avacyn and the Helvault--and Vess was involved--but while there are stories happening, and Bolas is doing his plane-spanning evil things, it still doesn't seem like there's an actual structure there.
Especially not the kind of structure that supports stories like we saw in LOTR or Harry Potter.
I really think there would need to be quite a few artistic liberties taken. Even if they did go with Bolas, I've never found him very interesting. He's just so OP. He's basically a gary stue villain.
One thing people have talked about is a miniseries, and that I think would work out much better.

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
Well, to start with Innistrad.

Liliana Vess gained her power by making pacts with five powerful demons. Now she's looking for tools to enhance her power and is looking for the demons in order to kill them before they can call upon the price she agreed to for that power. Garruk had been tracking her for reasons of his own and confronted her on Innistrad, where she beat him down and cursed him. Innistrad was also home to one of the demons Vess was looking for, although, unknown to her, he was imprisoned in the Helvault. As she tore the place up looking for him, it caused the imbalance that summoned Sorin back to his home plane, where he discovered that the angel he had left in charge was gone as well, having also been trapped in the Helvault in order to capture the demon. Thus the Vault was smashed, releasing the angel and entire hordes of demons, resulting in a war to re-establish balance on the plane. Of course, good won, and the balance is tipped towards the light now. I'm unsure if Vess managed to kill the demon before she left though, with Garruk in pursuit.

Dunno. I could see a whole movie trilogy made out of that.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
If it's their plan to make a franchise like what the Marvel movie series are doing I would be more receptive. Because then things like what you suggest would be workable I think (although I doubt the Helvault story would stretch into a trilogy, a duology maybe).
But Harry Potter and LOTR were mentioned, and those are much more limited in scale than MTG is.