PDA

View Full Version : Self-Publishing (The Knite Way)!

Nick Rolynd
01-14-2014, 08:20 AM
-clears throat-

Hello, AW. The time has come to announce I have jumped into the deep, dark void of self-publishing.

What am I Publishing?

My book out of the gate is the first in a planned sci-f/mystery series entitled Echoes (the first book and the series). The sequel is already in the works, and I hope to have it out by this time next year. In the interim, I'm working on yet another novel, a mystery/thriller. I may try to throw in a short fiction collection as well to keep any momentum.

Where Am I in the Process?

Almost done. My book is up on Amazon, e-book and paperback. I have expanded distribution selected for Create Space, so I suppose it'll show up on those channels eventually.

I have a blog (http://knitewrites.com/). I am not exceedingly popular, but I am not exceedingly unpopular either. My blog's only been around since Oct 2012, so I don't think it's doing too bad.

I'm on Twitter, Tumblr, Goodreads, Pinterest, Shelfari, Library Thing, Amazon, and Google+.

My Goodreads author page is almost done -- they're having an error with adding your blog to your page right now, so I'm waiting for them fix that, then I'll plug my blog posts into GR. After that, my page will be done. :)

I'm on Author Central, and I've set up my author page (http://www.amazon.com/Therin-Knite/e/B00HRL0CXA/).

I'm currently holding an e-book giveaway on Library Thing in the hopes of getting some reviews. I already have several ARCs floating around.

What Kind of Marketing Have I Done?

Hm. I paid for a decent cover. That was my biggest expense so far.

I put down a little money for a release day party, which will include a giveaway of a paperback copy of my book.

Most of my marketing has been free stuff. Blog posts and spreading the word across all my social networks. When the official release day rolls around, you'll probably see me announcing it everywhere -- Twitter, Tumblr, GR groups, the whole works. People will know. Some people.

About the Book

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb302/Jhaxe/EchoesThumb.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/Echoes-Therin-Knite-ebook/dp/B00HRIEFQI/)

Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Echoes-Therin-Knite-ebook/dp/B00HRIEFQI/) || Goodreads (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20522073-echoes)

Release Date: January 22, 2014

Synopsis:

Washington
District of Columbia
United Republic of Earth

_____

Twenty-three-year-old Adem Adamend has it rough. His name is ludicrous. His friends are few. And the only thing his "kid genius" status has gotten him at the Interdistrict Bureau of Intelligence is a boatload of extra work with no credit in sight.

Then hotshot lawyer Victor Manson is burned to death in his own back yard, and Adem finds himself using his unique skills to piece together the strangest crime he's ever seen. Strange because the only possible suspect Adem can pin the murder on...is a mythical beast. A dragon.

Before Adem can unravel the mystery of Manson's death, the Bureau loses jurisdiction to the secretive EDPA, an organization that investigates weird and deadly events. But Adem isn't one for giving up, so he takes it upon himself to delve deeper into EDPA's machinations, into the series of unfortunate events that led to Manson's demise.

And what he finds may change the way he views the world -- and himself -- forever.

_____

What do you do when a killer can hide behind his dreams?

What do you do when a murder weapon ceases to exist?

And how do you stop a villain who can conjure up nightmares and burn you from the Earth in the blink of an eye?

Adem Adamend is about to find out.

So, that's me, then.

I have currently sold 3 books. Which isn't bad considering the book technically is not out yet.

I will keep you all apprised of any progress I make.

Until then,

- Therin Knite

merrihiatt
01-14-2014, 08:45 AM
Looking forward to followng your journey. Welcome!

Nick Rolynd
01-14-2014, 11:13 AM
Thanks! I've been following most of you guys for a while. Lurking, don't you know?

Old Hack
01-14-2014, 11:44 AM
Hello, Nick. Next time you post, could you use a bigger font? At that size, your post is almost unreadable for me and, I'm sure, some of our other members.

Why am I Self-Publishing?

Well, first off, my writing style is a bit on the experimental side. Not really something publishers are looking for. Secondly, pacing. I like being able to get things out when I want them out, which is at a slightly faster rate than most trade publishers. Third? The creative control thing. That's important to me. I could continue on and on and on, but this is the self-publishing forum, so I figure you guys know why people generally self-publish.

"Pacing" doesn't have anything to do with publication schedule: it refers to the apparent speed of action in your writing. I know I'm nit-picking here, but I was genuinely confused when I first read your point.

And the "creative control thing"? It's often cited as a problem with trade publishing but the writers I know who actually have been trade published (me included) don't tend to feel they've relinquished any level of creative control. Instead, I feel I've been supported in my creative endeavours by my trade publishers, and given all sorts of expert assistance to make my books the best that they can be.

I recognise you've already made your decision to self publish: but other people are going to read this, and it's better if we don't perpetuate the myths put out by self-publishing evangelists.

I'll add you to the self-publishing diary index, and I look forward to you spending some time contributing to the threads in this room now you're advertising your book to us here.

Good luck with your self-publishing; I hope you sell lots of books.

Spell-it-out
01-14-2014, 11:52 AM
Best of luck with your self-publishing adventure, Nick.

Nick Rolynd
01-14-2014, 09:28 PM
Hello, Nick. Next time you post, could you use a bigger font? At that size, your post is almost unreadable for me and, I'm sure, some of our other members.

Um..huh? My font looked the exact same size as the standard font to me. But okay. I deleted the custom font.

K.B. Parker
01-15-2014, 02:44 AM
I have one suggestion. I read the sample available on Amazon, and in your TOC, you have "To Be Continued" as the last link/chapter. I would avoid doing that. Many people are turned off by cliffhangers, and putting it out there from the get-go could cause some to opt out of purchasing.

J. Tanner
01-15-2014, 06:36 AM
I disagree. Better to not to sell a copy of a specific book in the first place than turn off a reader forever, potentially get a bad review, and if it's an Amazon ebook possibly see a return too. You don't want a reader feeling like they were misled.

If you have a severe cliffhanger, by all means be up front about it in your marketing. The market may be smaller, but it's still plenty big.

Nick Rolynd
01-15-2014, 06:56 AM
Yeah, I didn't put "To Be Continued" there to signal a cliffhanger. While the book ends without a complete resolution, it's not a harrowing cliffhanger of any kind. I put "To Be Continued" as a TOC link so no one would be surprised when they got to the end and saw a sequel announcement. I have no intention to mislead anyone.

As J. Tanner said, if you don't want Echoes because it's not stand-alone or doesn't have a complete resolution, then I'd rather you find that out before you buy than be angry at me later because I didn't tell you.

K.B. Parker
01-18-2014, 12:29 AM
You are overestimating the audience. The term 'To Be Continued' will turn people off, even those who read books with cliffhangers. It's a psychology thing, if a reader knows from the offset that there isn't going to be a proper ending or a cliffhanger, it can turn them off quickly.

Once you're already into a book, and enjoyed it, readers are much more forgiving of cliffhangers, because they've had time to fall in love with the writing, characters and world.

Nick Rolynd
01-22-2014, 08:39 PM
Happy Echoes Release Day!

It's my official release day, everybody!

For the past few days, I've been having a countdown, complete with anecdotes about writing Echoes.

The “Echoes” Countdown — 3 Days to Go (And an Anecdote)! (http://knitewrites.com/2014/01/19/the-echoes-countdown-3-days-to-go-and-an-anecdote/)
The “Echoes” Countdown — 2 Days to Go (And Another Anecdote)! (http://knitewrites.com/2014/01/20/the-echoes-countdown-2-days-to-go-and-another-anecdote/)
The “Echoes” Countdown — 1 Day to Go (And One Last Anecdote)! (http://knitewrites.com/2014/01/21/the-echoes-countdown-1-day-to-go-and-one-last-anecdote/)

Today, I'm having a giveaway to celebrate the official release!

Happy "Echoes" Release Day! And a Giveaway! (http://knitewrites.com/2014/01/22/happy-echoes-release-day/)

heza
01-22-2014, 10:32 PM
Congratulations, Nick! Good luck with sales.

VanessaNorth
01-22-2014, 11:22 PM
good luck, nick! :)

Nick Rolynd
01-23-2014, 12:44 AM
@ heza and VanessaNorth -- Thanks so much! :)

profen4
01-23-2014, 06:50 AM
Congrats, Nick - looking forward to following your journey

Old Hack
01-23-2014, 11:52 AM
Nick, I'm happy that your book is out there, and I hope it sells a lot of copies.

I'd really like to see some more context from you in this thread. You might want to tell us more about your process: for example, how did you plan for your release? what promotion you put in place, and do you have any reviews in the pipeline? Anything to tell us of the challenges you've faced in self-publishing, and to explain why we should be interested in your particular journey.

I ask for this because you've not posted in the self publishing room outside of this thread. Most of your post history at AW is in the blogging room, where you've repeatedly promoted your blog posts and done nothing more. You don't seem to post in any threads which aren't of use to you; and you rarely engage in any conversations.

If you read the index of self publishing diaries you'll see this:

please don't use diary threads as a self-promotional tool, and only post about how many five-star reviews you've had on Amazon and where we can buy your book: post real, useful, interesting stuff about the challenges you've dealt with, the things you've learned, and how many sales you've made.

Your original post in this thread was a bit too self-promotional for my liking but it can take time to get to grips with things here, so I chose to ignore that. Lots of our other self-publishers start off with a post which is similarly borderline: it's bound to happen sometimes, but people usually settle down and things go well.

However, you were then sniffy when I suggested you lose the tiny font.

And now you've posted this:

Happy Echoes Release Day!

It's my official release day, everybody!

For the past few days, I've been having a countdown, complete with anecdotes about writing Echoes.

The “Echoes” Countdown — 3 Days to Go (And an Anecdote)! (http://knitewrites.com/2014/01/19/the-echoes-countdown-3-days-to-go-and-an-anecdote/)
The “Echoes” Countdown — 2 Days to Go (And Another Anecdote)! (http://knitewrites.com/2014/01/20/the-echoes-countdown-2-days-to-go-and-another-anecdote/)
The “Echoes” Countdown — 1 Day to Go (And One Last Anecdote)! (http://knitewrites.com/2014/01/21/the-echoes-countdown-1-day-to-go-and-one-last-anecdote/)

Today, I'm having a giveaway to celebrate the official release!

Happy "Echoes" Release Day! And a Giveaway! (http://knitewrites.com/2014/01/22/happy-echoes-release-day/)

You've taken the time to make those links bold, but you haven't told us anything about your process, or posted any "real, useful, interesting stuff about the challenges you've dealt with, the things you've learned, and how many sales you've made".

I hope you'll change that soon. And that you'll start engaging in the conversations here more, instead of only posting when it seems you think it will benefit you to do so.

Nick Rolynd
01-23-2014, 11:07 PM
Well, for my book release, I paid for a little release day party with a book blog tour company. I don't have a lot of money floating around, so I bought a package I could afford and got my release day posted across twelve other blogs. I also did two giveaways -- one for a paperback copy of my book on the twelve blogs and one for an ebook copy plus $10 on my blog. My release day promotion resulted in 6 sales. My total at this point is 12.

I'm still waiting on the majority of my ARC recipients to get back to me. Only two of them have responded so, both favorably, but one of them has not reviewed yet. I have a few people currently reading the book who promised to get back to me within a few days. So, I'm still playing the waiting game for the most part.

The biggest issues I'm having right now is being able to keep up with all my social media, given that I'm currently still in school and have very little time to participate in so many communities. I could make my effort more focused, but I like having a presence on multiple venues. So I'm still trying to work that out. I'm trying to get to know a lot of people in the writing community, as well as review bloggers, general readers, etc.

I'm trying to achieve some kind of balance. My plan currently is to actually reduce my explicit promotion and stick more to building a bigger blogging and community presence across my various platforms. Recently, I've been reaching out and commenting on other blogs, posts, etc., which is very difficult me as a habitual lurker. I'm not the kind of person that shares my thoughts and feelings easily, so I tend to be the silent reader, who "likes" things without commenting. Not an active participant. Obviously, I can't be with this way as an indie author. I have to be very "vocal" -- not in my nature but necessary given my goals.

So, still have kinks to work out in connecting with potential readers. I think I've done a decent job so far. I've recently started communicating with people on Tumblr more -- my first two reviewers were, in fact, people I met on Tumblr. Another indie author and an older teen reader who was very enthusiastic. I also had someone buy my book when she saw my promo post yesterday and then reblog my promo post and ask her followers to do the same to help me get a wider audience.

I thought that was very nice of her. My post reached a much larger number of people than than my typical Tumblr posts. I also had a nice conversation with this person -- she was very supportive and unafraid to give me critical feedback. We were actually chatting while she was reading the first couple chapters. Didn't like my risky opening but enjoyed everything after that. She promised some prompt feedback.

So, reaching out to more people personally is working pretty well. Although it's hard and slow-going. Probably something I should have done years ago, but then, I wasn't blogging years ago, and I wasn't planning on being an indie author. But I don't think that's a huge issue. Building momentum slowly works for me just fine. I'm not expecting some huge sales explosion or anything like that.

And that's been my experience so far.

VanessaNorth
01-24-2014, 12:05 AM
Well, for my book release, I paid for a little release day party with a book blog tour company. I don't have a lot of money floating around, so I bought a package I could afford and got my release day posted across twelve other blogs. I also did two giveaways -- one for a paperback copy of my book on the twelve blogs and one for an ebook copy plus $10 on my blog. My release day promotion resulted in 6 sales. My total at this point is 12.

I'm still waiting on the majority of my ARC recipients to get back to me. Only two of them have responded so, both favorably, but one of them has not reviewed yet. I have a few people currently reading the book who promised to get back to me within a few days. So, I'm still playing the waiting game for the most part.

The biggest issues I'm having right now is being able to keep up with all my social media, given that I'm currently still in school and have very little time to participate in so many communities. I could make my effort more focused, but I like having a presence on multiple venues. So I'm still trying to work that out. I'm trying to get to know a lot of people in the writing community, as well as review bloggers, general readers, etc.

I'm trying to achieve some kind of balance. My plan currently is to actually reduce my explicit promotion and stick more to building a bigger blogging and community presence across my various platforms. Recently, I've been reaching out and commenting on other blogs, posts, etc., which is very difficult me as a habitual lurker. I'm not the kind of person that shares my thoughts and feelings easily, so I tend to be the silent reader, who "likes" things without commenting. Not an active participant. Obviously, I can't be with this way as an indie author. I have to be very "vocal" -- not in my nature but necessary given my goals.

So, still have kinks to work out in connecting with potential readers. I think I've done a decent job so far. I've recently started communicating with people on Tumblr more -- my first two reviewers were, in fact, people I met on Tumblr. Another indie author and an older teen reader who was very enthusiastic. I also had someone buy my book when she saw my promo post yesterday and then reblog my promo post and ask her followers to do the same to help me get a wider audience.

I thought that was very nice of her. My post reached a much larger number of people than than my typical Tumblr posts. I also had a nice conversation with this person -- she was very supportive and unafraid to give me critical feedback. We were actually chatting while she was reading the first couple chapters. Didn't like my risky opening but enjoyed everything after that. She promised some prompt feedback.

So, reaching out to more people personally is working pretty well. Although it's hard and slow-going. Probably something I should have done years ago, but then, I wasn't blogging years ago, and I wasn't planning on being an indie author. But I don't think that's a huge issue. Building momentum slowly works for me just fine. I'm not expecting some huge sales explosion or anything like that.

And that's been my experience so far.

Participating in various communities is a great way to connect with some readers. :)

A slow build of readership is completely normal--it takes time to build an audience and name recognition.

AgathaChristieFan
01-24-2014, 11:31 PM
Hey Nick,
It sounds like you're off to a good start! I added your book to my list of books to read after visiting your blog earlier this month :) Hopefully, you'll keep finding readers that way.

It's cool that you have some activity on Tumblr. I could never really get the hang of it...

Good luck with your publishing journey! I'm not good with expressing my feelings either but eventually you get the hang of it.

turningpoint
01-25-2014, 02:06 AM
I think the book and the description sound very interesting.

Nick Rolynd
01-25-2014, 03:41 AM
@AgathieChristieFan - Thanks! :) And yeah, I don't think Tumblr is a platform for everyone. It's really focused on fandom-related content and is largely visual. I stick with the modestly sized but pretty active book blogger side of Tumblr.

@turningpoint - Yay! :D

Now that I've gotten past my release day, I'm back to building more blog content to attract more readers. Hard to fit in the time to write a lot of new posts though. I have so much schoolwork.

grayworld
01-26-2014, 03:57 PM
Is it just me, or was your book cover designed by someone with access to the not-so-distant future? That has to be the cleanest, most detailed ebook cover I've seen. Just beautiful.

Nick Rolynd
01-26-2014, 09:51 PM
@ grayworld - Thanks! I like it, too. :)

And it was designed by Robin over at Robin Ludwig Design (http://www.gobookcoverdesign.com/). I think she's pretty great.

Tienci
01-27-2014, 07:43 AM
Good luck, welcome, and I, too, love your book cover! :)

Nick Rolynd
01-28-2014, 01:40 AM
@ Tienci - Thanks! :)

____

I'll probably post a lengthy sales/reviews/etc. update on Wednesday. One week out. I might do one every week until I hit the first month and then go monthly.

Nick Rolynd
01-30-2014, 08:28 PM
Like I promised, here's my 1 Week Report!

____

Sales

I’ve had a total of 18 sales.

11 of those sales were ebooks.

7 of those sales were paperback copies.

All of those sales were from Amazon.

No one has dared to buy it from Barnes & Noble yet.

Reception

I have 3 reviews live on Amazon right now.

1 of those reviews is a 5-star review.

1 of those reviews is a 4-star review (a 4.5 in the review content).

1 of those reviews is a 3-star review.

Praise

2 reviewers mentioned they liked my protagonist.
1 reviewer mentioned they liked the combined sci-fi/mystery element.
1 reviewer mentioned the humor was well done.
1 reviewer mentioned the book was well written and polished.

Critical Feedback

1 reviewer wished for more futuristic elements.
1 reviewer wished the book had less action and more “cerebral” character development.

What’s Next?

I have about 45 people sitting on review copies of Echoes, so hopefully, some of them will take the time to review the book.

I don’t have any paid promotions planned — I’m not a huge fan of dishing out large sums of money, mostly because I don’t have large sums of money at my disposal. So most of my straight promotion from this point on will simply be my social media efforts.

Other than that, I’ll be monitoring the performance of Echoes and continuing to work on my other WIPs, including Epitaphs, the sequel to Echoes.

____

So, that's where I'm at now.

Nick Rolynd
02-01-2014, 10:31 PM
Well, there goes January!

I had 19 total sales, which appears to add up to about $46.50 in royalties, if I did my math right. Not too bad. Not too bad. I can work with an extra $46.

I've also had 1 sale today, interestingly enough.

Still playing the waiting game, though. Got a lot of people out there with review copies still. One of my readers contacted me yesterday and said he was having a PDF issue on his Nook, so I sent him an EPUB version of the book instead, and he gave me a favorable update on his impression of the Echoes so far. :)

That's where I'm at right now. Waiting, sending out some promo posts here and there, more waiting. I need to get back to writing, but I'm still trying to settle into the new semester. I have an unreal amount of reading this semester. >.<

Parametric
02-01-2014, 10:35 PM
Congratulations! 19 sales in your first week or so is fantastic. Onward and upward! :)

Williebee
02-01-2014, 10:45 PM
Not in anyway intending an insult, but in the interest of full disclosure, how many of those reviewers did you know? Any family members, friends, etc.?

Did you do a barter/exchange agreement/pay for any of them? (I don't think you did, but some folks do, and some folks think that's just "doing business.")

It is completely understandable that we get involvement and plugs from family and friends, and bless 'em all for it.

But, as this is a professional attempt, and you've made an implied request that we look at your efforts objectively, full disclosure also can be reasonably expected, yeah?

Thanks for letting us follow your journey. I wish you great success with it.

Nick Rolynd
02-02-2014, 12:43 AM
Not in anyway intending an insult, but in the interest of full disclosure, how many of those reviewers did you know? Any family members, friends, etc.?

Did you do a barter/exchange agreement/pay for any of them? (I don't think you did, but some folks do, and some folks think that's just "doing business.")

It is completely understandable that we get involvement and plugs from family and friends, and bless 'em all for it.

But, as this is a professional attempt, and you've made an implied request that we look at your efforts objectively, full disclosure also can be reasonably expected, yeah?

Thanks for letting us follow your journey. I wish you great success with it.

I don't know any of my reviewers in real life. The only ones I "know" are people I've chatted with briefly over Tumblr or email, and I didn't "know" any of them before I announced my book was on sale. Most of my ARCs went out to people who either won my Library Thing giveaway or who requested an ARC through the form I attached to my Cover Reveal blog post several weeks ago.

And no, I haven't done any exchanges or paid reviews or anything. I could do exchanges through several of my GR groups, but I think I have enough ARCs out there already to gain some traction. Plus, I don't really have the time to do review exchanges...

Nick Rolynd
02-05-2014, 10:23 PM
My Week 2 Report. Sales (expectedly) slowed down after the release day hype, but my review copies are still out and about, so hopefully, as the reviews trickle in and the author interviews come out, I'll get a few more sales here and there. We'll see. I imagine it will take several months to gain any real traction, if I do at all.

____

Sales

I’ve had a total of 20 sales.

12 of those sales were ebooks.

8 of those sales were paperback copies.

All of those sales were from Amazon.

No one has dared to buy it from Barnes & Noble yet.

Reception

I have 3 reviews live on Amazon right now.

I have another review located here (http://www.demerybunn.com/blog/2014/02/03/review-echoes-by-therin-knite/).

1 of those reviews is a 5-star review.

1 of those reviews is a 4-star review (a 4.5 in the review content).

1 of those reviews is a 3-star review.

1 of those reviews is unrated.

Praise

3 reviewers mentioned they liked my protagonist.
1 reviewer mentioned they liked the combined sci-fi/mystery element.
1 reviewer mentioned the humor was well done.
1 reviewer mentioned the book was well written and polished.
1 reviewer mentioned the world-building was well-done.

Critical Feedback

1 reviewer wished for more futuristic elements.
1 reviewer wished the book had less action and more “cerebral” character development.
1 reviewer wished there had been a larger pool of characters.

What’s Next?

I have about 45 people (still) sitting on review copies of Echoes. According to Goodreads and a few Tumblr messages, some of those people are almost finished with the book, so I should have more feedback soon.

C.R. Baker
02-07-2014, 06:51 AM
Great numbers! Looking forward to hearing more about your progress.

Mama Llama
03-03-2014, 02:32 AM
Another month has rolled on by... I'm curious to see how many more of your ARC readers have left reviews. Let us know how things are going!

Ann Joyce
03-04-2014, 12:40 AM
Congratulations, Nick. Looks like you're off to a good start!