PDA

View Full Version : Join the random raving here!

Shadow_Ferret
03-02-2006, 08:12 AM
Just for grins, I thought we needed a thread where we give praise, homage, and acclaim to whatever it is we have to do such a thing like that there for. There's too much anger in the world and not enough hugging.

OK? OK.

My rave.

After all the crap and lack of assistance I have received from my car insurance company after our car was broadsided last week Wednesday, I would like to offer up this huge THANK YOU to our car dealership for helping us out.

Last Saturday we had test drove a car, but since we were in limbo, we weren't in a position to buy. The dealership did let us put $50 down on the car we liked so they'd hold it for us.

The insurance company, after much arm twisting, finally officially declared our car totalled yesterday evening.

So today we called our dealership and asked them what they could do, if anything, to help us out. We have no car rental insurance, so we can't get a rental, but we need a car.

The insurance money won't be trickling in for who knows how long. A week? (Took them a week to call it totalled!) Probably more. So we have no money for a down payment. We had talked about putting a $2000 down payment because we estimated when all was said and done, that would be how much insurance we'd have.

But we don't have it yet.

No problem, the finance guy says. Come in and we'll take care of you.

We went in. He had already run all the financing. All we had to do was sign our lives away. And we gave him a check for $2000 which he promised he will NOT cash until we give him the OK. And we drove out of there with our car.

How cool is that? Who does business like that? They have customers for life. Thank you Brookfield Pontiac.

Prosthetic Foreheads
03-02-2006, 08:25 AM
Glad you got your new car. Car dealers will usually do ANYTHING even remotely possible to make a sale. So if he knew you're just waiting for the insurance money, also knowing you were for sure going to be buying a car, you can bet he wanted to be the one to make the sale. I once spent a day browsing car lots, test drove three cars. I woke up the next morning and all three dealers had left messages on my cell phone urging me to come in, promising we would work something out. I got the air conditioning fixed on my old car instead.

robeiae
03-02-2006, 08:37 AM
Fat-bottomed girls, they make the rockin' world go round!

Rob :)

reph
03-02-2006, 10:57 AM
Magnets. They're so handy! I have a magnetic bulletin board with two kinds of magnets holding odd small papers: regular magnets made with antique buttons (gift from husband) and polished magnetic stones (bought recently at a museum). The buttons are colorful; the stones are black.

Popcorn is good stuff, too. Another blessing is warm socks.

Wait, was this thread supposed to be about people?

Volunteers. Much of the work of the world is done without pay by people who want to help. Volunteers keep institutions running that would never survive alone.

Shadow_Ferret
03-02-2006, 05:07 PM
Wait, was this thread supposed to be about people?

Whatever you want it to be.

Pets. They listen without being critical. They ask nothing more than to be fed and petted and give you unconditional love in return. (Unlike some people, but that's for the ranting thread. ;))

brokenfingers
03-02-2006, 05:36 PM
Paper clips. They're so handy and so... so... so... shiny.

Shadow_Ferret
03-02-2006, 06:29 PM
My page a day calender which tells me about a new and different beer each and every day. :)

Today's beer: Achelse Kluis Biere Bruin Extra from Belgium.

Jaycinth
03-02-2006, 06:43 PM
Chocolate is never judgemental.

Jcomp
03-02-2006, 07:33 PM
Arrested Development. Funniest damn show on the ol' Telly right now.

I'd also like to rave about Italian food, Lemon Pepper Fish, Marble Slab Creamery, that shrimp you get at Pappadeux's that's stuffed with cheese & wrapped in bacon... all of you have earned a special place in my heart, never to be forgotten.

Beer, for making me feel so good and sentimental, at which point I rave to family and friends (and sometimes strangers) about how wonderful they are, and how much I care about them.

brokenfingers
03-02-2006, 07:39 PM
I'd also like to mention the band, AC/DC - both pre- and post- Bon Scott.

TheY have the amazing ability to brighten and liven up my day - as well as bond together a disparate group of booze-guzzling roustabouts in a shady bar.

Elincoln
03-02-2006, 07:45 PM
My little girl. Even when she's sick (like today), she's a sweety and being very good while I putz around the house (and AW as well). And she is helping me by putting her tissues in the garbage by herself.

(sigh) Having a day off (unofficially) from my workouts and stuff because she's sick AND it's snowing like crazy outside (isn't it March already?) so I can catch up on housework and my writing a little later. Bonus: Hubby isn't home.

Maryn
03-02-2006, 08:46 PM
The cheery woman at the grocery store with three small kids who helped the elderly gentleman at the deli. He didn't seem to 'get' taking a number and waiting his turn, so she got him a number, told it what it was, and when they called it and he didn't respond, she called out good and loud, "This gentleman right here!"

Man, I just don't have that much goodness in me, you know?

Maryn, conserving what little goodness she's got left

JoeEkaitis
03-02-2006, 10:40 PM
Whipped cream makers. The kind that use nitrous oxide. You'll swear off Cool-Whip and Reddi-Wip after the first taste of the REAL real thing.

Prosthetic Foreheads
03-02-2006, 11:01 PM
Whipped cream makers. The kind that use nitrous oxide. You'll swear off Cool-Whip and Reddi-Wip after the first taste of the REAL real thing.

Real thing? The cream or the nitrous? The cream is tasty, but damn, a fully nitrous loaded canister without the cream...

robeiae
03-03-2006, 12:25 AM
- as well as bond together a disparate group of booze-guzzling roustabouts in a shady bar.
I thought that was what Frankie Goes to Hollywood was for.

Rob :)

Jaycinth
03-03-2006, 12:29 AM
AW!!!!!!

When the IQ's around me start dragging mine down, and the lack of creativity in my job makes me want to suck dirty dish rags, when the idiots decide to ask me the same question for the 15th time....

I can always take a break and come here for a few, get recharged, then go back to the brain sucking machine in the grey room.

Yippee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pconsidine
03-03-2006, 12:46 AM
Paper clips. They're so handy and so... so... so... shiny. Ooooo...and what about those fancy Italian ones? The spiral shaped ones? Now that's fancy stuff.

brokenfingers
03-03-2006, 12:49 AM
I thought that was what Frankie Goes to Hollywood was for.

Rob :)Obviously Rob, we hang out at different bars. :)

rhymegirl
03-03-2006, 12:55 AM
I just came in from shovelling snow! Woo-hoo, that was fun!!!

Oh, is this the raving thread? In that case, never mind.

arrowqueen
03-03-2006, 01:37 AM
Cheese. I like cheese.

Alcohol. Alcohol goes really well with cheese.

Maryn
03-03-2006, 02:08 AM
I just came in from shovelling snow! Woo-hoo, that was fun!!!

Oh, is this the raving thread? In that case, never mind.I like to think of it as calories burned. You are now entitled to a goodie!

Maryn, who did not need to shovel today

rhymegirl
03-03-2006, 04:47 AM
I like to think of it as calories burned. You are now entitled to a goodie!

Maryn, who did not need to shovel today

Okay, Maryn. Woo-hoo, I burned some calories!!

poetinahat
03-03-2006, 05:40 AM
Music that always leaves you feeling good:
Ska.
Grateful Dead.
John Lee Hooker.
Jonathan Richman.
Mose Allison.
Cocteau Twins.
Claude Debussy.

Carole
03-03-2006, 05:54 AM
Oak Ridge Tennessee cops. Yep, that's right. The local cops. They're a bunch of pretty darn good guys. Since I live alone most of the time, I have had to call them more than once - like tonight. I went into the basement to get the laundry out of the dryer and put the stuff from the washer in, and lo and behold, there was a freaky guy hanging out in the dark. (the lights are on timers that you turn on when you go into the basement) When I turned on the lights, he jumped up and ran off. The storage units are in the basement as well as all our washers & dryers. I took the clothes out of the dryer, but I still had to go back for the rest. By myself? I think not! I have never seen the guy that was down there before!

So the cops show up - 2 cruisers, four cops. One stayed in the parking lot and the other three told me to wait to go back down till they checked it out. They came back up and told me there was nothing down there now but that they were glad I felt comfortable calling them. They also told me to o my laundry during the day - ya right! Who can do that?

Carole
03-03-2006, 05:57 AM
T

Man, I just don't have that much goodness in me, you know?

I find that very hard to believe.

Serenity
03-03-2006, 06:02 AM
In the spirit of thanking cops... I'd like to thank the loverly nice Virginia State cop who let me off last friday night with just a warning. And it was a *nice* warning- I was doing 64 in a 45. I like to drive fast, but honestly not that fast under most circumstances. That would have been a hell of a ticket to pay for someone who really has no money right now! Thank you Officer whoever-you-were!!!!!!!:hooray: :banana: :PartySmil

Sarita
03-03-2006, 06:02 AM
The Barefoot Contessa - As annoying as I find her show, her recipe for Outrageous Brownies.... wow, they really were outrageous. I mean, WOW. I think I need to go have one with vanilla ice cream.

Sighhh.... Now that I have these brownies, I love that my Doctor told me I have to gain more weight. :)

rhymegirl
03-03-2006, 06:08 AM
Sighhh.... Now that I have these brownies, I love that my Doctor told me I have to gain more weight. :)

You lucky bum. Imagine a doctor telling you to GAIN weight! I think the most I gained when I was pregnant was maybe 25-27 pounds. But it sure was fun having those ice cream sundaes!

Carole
03-03-2006, 06:09 AM
Sara, feel free to sliiiide that recipe right on over here! I'd give hubby's left arm for a brownie right now!!

I gained 28 pounds with Dan and almost exactly the same with Seth and it was gone right away. The problems happened when I listed to all the old ladies who told me that I had to eat rich to be able to nurse. Yep - Dairy Queen vanilla milkshakes and I became very good friends!

Sarita
03-03-2006, 06:15 AM
Carole - who loves ya?

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_32314,00.html

At 5 1/2 months, I've gained a grand total of 6lbs. Considering the ultrasound tech said the little guy already weighs 1 lb, I need to kick up my calcium and protein (along with my weight in general...)

Carole
03-03-2006, 06:52 AM
Sara, I worship at the feet of your chocolate bounty, O Goddess of brownies!

I popped out fast with Dan. My OB thought he might be twins until I had my first ultrasound. Course that was back in horse & buggy days. You'll gain. You're a healthy girl. In fact, I do remember one thing that my OB told me waaaay back in the day (We're talkin 1987, here) A lot of women lose body fat when they are newly pregnant and still gain plenty enough for mommy and baby to be healthy. Of course when I was 5 months along I was well into maternity clothes. GAWD they were oooogly in the 80s. I remember going to the plus size department to get some clothes because I couldn't bear the maternity clothes with the big friggin BOWS at the necklines (a well meaning friend actually bought me a white top with huge multicolored polka dots and a gigantic red bow at the neck. I looked like a clown!) or "Baby on Board" t-shirts and all that. Mom and I even bought a dress pattern adn altered it, raising the waistline, and made several sumer dresses for me. They were actually pretty cute! And VERY necessary since Dan and Seth were both born in July. UGH it's hard to be preggers in the summer.

brokenfingers
03-03-2006, 05:11 PM
My rave for the day?

Doorlocks. No matter how hard they bang on my door they cant get in and turn down my stereo.

And I can't even count how many times it's allowed me time to make a getaway...

Unique
03-03-2006, 06:51 PM
Carole - who loves ya?

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_32314,00.html

At 5 1/2 months, I've gained a grand total of 6lbs. Considering the ultrasound tech said the little guy already weighs 1 lb, I need to kick up my calcium and protein (along with my weight in general...)

Just for the record - who in their right mind would choose to have a 12 pound baby over a 6 pound baby?

Not me. :D.

Eat healthy (like I know you already do) Dear Baby will have plenty of time to eat when he gets teeth.

Can you eat cheese & yogurt? I couldn't when I was carrying Rain. :cry: We made up for it after he was born tho -

Maryn
03-06-2006, 09:36 PM
I had to run an errand at a fabric store today. Unknown to me, they had some major sale going on and the place was jammed with impatient shoppers who'd taken their lunch hours to snatch up crafting bargains and be rude to one another.

As always, the cutting table created a bottleneck, with twenty or thirty people standing impatiently, a few even trying to go out of turn despite the store's take-a-number system. When my turn finally came, the employee was warm and friendly and you'd never know she was under any particular pressure or that her previous customer had been unpleasant and demanding, which she had.

I'm not sure how much they pay these women, but it's not much. So raves and congratulations to every person who works with the buying public and still manages to give every customer a clean slate and a smile rather than let nasty people get to her or him.

Maryn, who spent too much as usual

SC Harrison
03-06-2006, 09:55 PM
Oreo flavored Jello pudding. I rarely hide food from my children, but...

Stew21
03-06-2006, 10:09 PM
Things recently rave-worthy:

Both of my sons (ages 3 and 1) woke up incredibly happy yesterday and played well together all day long. What a hoot! :D

I got to see a great band perform on Friday night, they're called The Iguanas. Last time I saw them was about 10 years ago in Chicago. Very cool to see them again after all this time in St. Louis!

Ben Stiller's Green suit on the awards last night and Farrell and Carell's little make-up humor. I didn't watch the whole thing, but seeing those made it worth the channel flip! What a crack up.

New to the AW boards (just been since last thursday) and I am feeling very welcome here and have already gotten some great advice. So a big thanks for that!

Trish

WerenCole
03-07-2006, 09:27 PM
In the spirit of thanking cops... I'd like to thank the loverly nice Virginia State cop who let me off last friday night with just a warning. And it was a *nice* warning- I was doing 64 in a 45. I like to drive fast, but honestly not that fast under most circumstances. That would have been a hell of a ticket to pay for someone who really has no money right now! Thank you Officer whoever-you-were!!!!!!!:hooray: :banana: :PartySmil

Hey. . . send that cop down to Richmond. And a couple more like him.

NeuroFizz
03-07-2006, 09:35 PM
The ladies of AW...beauty, brains, and toughness (and a little edgy, Jay). Great combinations, all.

Jcomp
03-08-2006, 02:34 AM
Brindle's ice cream and gelatos. Who knew creamy, dairy goodness could restore one's faith in life and humanity?

Stew21
03-08-2006, 02:36 AM
oh yay! A friend called to meet for a beer after work! Talk about restoring faith in life and humanity!

Jcomp
03-11-2006, 12:20 AM
U know what? (What Johnny?) I'd like to rave about the absolutewrite site & forums. Since I've been here I've had my first short story published, been steered away from a scam screenplay agency, had some interesting conversations & debates, & done a good deal of laughing (which has garnered an odd look or two from coworkers, but que sera...).

Thanks absolutewrite!

Carole
03-11-2006, 02:36 AM
Raving about my boss today. Hubby and I are taking Monday & Tuesday off to celebrate our anniversary - the Nine Inch Nails concert and all. 4-day weekend -Woot!

Well, as I was leaving work today,my boss come out her office to tell me to have a great mini-vacation.

How cool is that?

ALSO

She came to me earlier today and said, "So...I hear you saved the world today."

I sorta did. I found $87,000 buried in the books that no one else had found.

Unique
03-11-2006, 02:52 AM
She came to me earlier today and said, "So...I hear you saved the world today."

I sorta did. I found $87,000 buried in the books that no one else had found.

That's cool. It would be real cool if she shared some with you...:D

Carole
03-11-2006, 02:56 AM
No kidding, right?!

madderblue
03-11-2006, 03:23 AM
My happy rant...

In Japan we have this rotating schedule-thingy where you must go out at 7am and stand around with a half dozen other people. You all don matching lime green windbreakers and baseball caps and your job is to wave these lime green flags. This goes on for about an hour or so.

There is a purpose: the idea is that this will cut down on accidents. You go to a particularly dangerous intersection and you wait for a couple of school children to straggle along and then you throw yourself in front of some oncoming car or truck and hoping against hope you pray they see you (this chartreuse-frantically-flag-flapping woman) and stop to let the kids pass.

However, yesterday it was pouring icey rain. I complained. Also, the time was such that my husband couldn't go because he had to catch the train at seven thirty to get to work. And (I worked up a whole bunch of excuses) this was taking place in front a school my son doesn't even go to!

Bitching and moaning I bit the bullet and went. It was freezing, I got soaked to the bone, my fingers eventually curled around the flag and wouldn't come undone...BUT...it was so much fun!! I was positioned at a very strategic point and these sleepy eyed children would come up behind me and say "good morning"! They would smile at me. It made me all warm inside. If the traffic looked unstoppable we'd chat a bit and then I'd hurl myself into the street and say, "okay, come along now, you guys all have a nice day! Study hard!" And they'd just smile or laugh and wave at me the nutty-happy foreign woman looking not unlike a drowned puppy I assume.

I also saw all sorts of dysfunctional types as well (one kid cursing all the way to school and kicking everything in sight, a gym teacher who came out to squat and smoke three cigarettes in a row, an elementary child who was bossing his elderly grandmother around)...and I kept making mental notes...'this would be great in a story!'...So despite my original resentment I collected about a half dozen good short story ideas. And damn that coffee tasted good when I got home!

Maryn
03-23-2006, 11:02 PM
For the third time in three years, my long hair got caught in weatherstripping around the minivan's sliding rear door. I've been able to get free each time without losing too much hair, but this time I was stuck really good, home alone in the garage, unable to reach my purse and the cell phone, or even the car's horn, with Mr. Maryn not due home for seven or eight hours. (And of course it was the lower edge this time, so I'm stuck bent over.)

I manage to free myself after 40 minutes and about the same number of strands, but I'm definitely steamed. I've owned a string of minivans starting with the first baby (who's an adult now) and I've never had one let go of that black rubber seal even once, much less three times on three different doors.

My car's due for an oil change anyway, so I take it in for that and the weatherstripping repair, and I let the service writer know that I'm extremely displeased about the adhesive failing repeatedly. I make sure he knows that I was stuck alone in the thirty-degree garage, coatless, without anyone likely to come home for hours, and suggest they throw in a free pair of scissors so I can rescue myself.

They fix it, replacing the weatherstripping at no charge, but won me over with a coupon for a free shampoo. Seems one of the service writers is married to a hairdresser and overheard my complaining.

Pretty good service, I'd say.

Maryn, who thought that was more than they were obligated to do

Shadow_Ferret
03-23-2006, 11:18 PM
NO scissors though? ;)

Shadow_Ferret
04-26-2006, 11:15 PM
My MIL goes on vacation starting tomorrow and we won't have to see her for one whole week! Whoohoo! :snoopy:

Jaycinth
04-26-2006, 11:19 PM
My daughter is with her French Class in Canada and I don't have to hear "..and like... as if... who does she think she's channeling anyway.." for 2 more daysof supreme .........

PEACE!

tjwriter
04-27-2006, 06:54 AM
I have 2 job interviews in the morning. Count them. 2!!! I am excited. One I wasn't sure I wanted to apply for, but you know. So we will see what it's all about and how much it pays. The other is for a law office of a family friend. It's only part time, but it has the potential to turn full time, and if not it's work while I look for something more.

I was a little stunned.

SpookyWriter
04-27-2006, 07:01 AM
Congrats TJWriter. Way cool. I'm sure one of them will pan out for you!

http://www.feebleminds-gifs.com/catwalk.gif
Then you'll be stutting like a purrrr...son of wealth!