PDA

View Full Version : Goal: Write a book

Simple Thoughts
01-12-2014, 04:24 AM
Its a pretty simple goal I suppose. I've always liked writing, and I've never had the confidence to really just go for it. So now I'm trying to make the effort, but I really need a good starting point. I don't want to just jot down the first dumb idea in my head. I'd like to go back over some basics of writing and explore a few short story ideas first...

At least that's the plan for now xD

Lady MacBeth
01-12-2014, 06:23 AM
Good luck with your book!

L. Y.
01-12-2014, 06:36 AM
Good luck!

Kylabelle
01-12-2014, 06:40 AM
You've sure come to the right place to help you do that. Lots of stimulus here, and all manner of good advice.

Best of luck with your goal!

Simple Thoughts
01-12-2014, 07:00 AM
Thank you all :3

I'm hoping it will all work out well.

Siri Kirpal
01-12-2014, 07:08 AM
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

May it go well!

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Eli Hinze
01-12-2014, 07:14 AM
Good luck! :) I hope all goes well. If you get discouraged along the way or are hit with writers block or anything like that, persevere. You can do it! c:

Phaeal
01-12-2014, 06:57 PM
Yes, this is a great place to hang out and learn. It could also help you to read books on craft -- a search of the site will net you plenty of suggestions.

One caveat: If you want to write a novel, writing short stories won't teach you how to do that. Writing shorts teaches you to write shorts, a great thing if you like the form and also a chance to start submitting and growing your rejection-proof skin sooner. However, don't be afraid to grab an idea and try to go book-length with it -- writing novels teaches how to write novels.

Simple Thoughts
01-12-2014, 10:10 PM
Thank you all for the bits of advice. I do appreciate it. I understand it takes awhile to write books, so I figured I could work out the rust a bit with short stories more than us them as a learning to write a long term book tool. Dunno maybe that's a terrible idea 0.o

Raivnor
01-12-2014, 10:31 PM
When I started looking to write a book, I found good starter practice in short stories. What I did was drew up an idea for a compelling character, then wrote a story with him in it. Next I came up with another story with that same character, and made sure I included paragraphs that connected that new story to the previous one. I kept doing that until I was more confident in my ability to make a narrative, and then I started sketching out what I thought a book should look like. The three big things you need to write a book are: organized thoughts, the ability to understand plot structure over a long arc, and the ability to connect from one chapter to the next. Connecting short stories together helps you with two out of the three, so it's not a bad place to start cleaning out those cobwebs.

Smort
01-13-2014, 12:40 AM
I started in early December, but my goal is to have 60,000+ words written and proofread, which may mean it' s finished, by the end of January.

Reasonable as I have 30,000 and it's been proofread.

Ephiny0
01-13-2014, 01:29 AM
Good luck with the book!

I agree to some extent about short stories being a different form, of course they are, though there are plenty of things in common. But for me it was reassuring to have had a few short stories published (semi-pro mostly) because it made me feel that at least my writing must be coherent on the sentence level, and that I must have some grasp of dialogue, story etc.

If you want to write a novel, though, at some point you just have to go for it. If you wait until you feel completely ready and 'qualified', you probably never will!

Simple Thoughts
01-13-2014, 02:01 AM
Thanks for all the helpful advice. I was reading one of the threads around here and someone suggested writing for '2 hours a day' so I started writing a little bit last night. It didn't turn out completely terrible, but I'm pretty sure I still need more practice.

Kaitlin Brianna
01-13-2014, 10:54 AM
I think short stories are also good for figuring out what and how you like to write. I thought I knew and jumped right into some novel length projects, but since then I have found that short stories are a good way to explore genres and styles with less of a time commitment.

Good luck!

Ephiny0
01-13-2014, 02:34 PM
Thanks for all the helpful advice. I was reading one of the threads around here and someone suggested writing for '2 hours a day' so I started writing a little bit last night. It didn't turn out completely terrible, but I'm pretty sure I still need more practice.

Well done for getting started. And everyone needs more practice, so that isn't surprising or anything to worry about - it's the only way to improve!

Simple Thoughts
01-13-2014, 09:45 PM
Well done for getting started. And everyone needs more practice, so that isn't surprising or anything to worry about - it's the only way to improve!

Fair enough. Maybe when I get to the 50 post mark I'll post something up, who knows?

Elorenalory
01-14-2014, 08:46 PM
Good luck with your goal! I know you can do it, though it won't be fun all the time, oh no, sometimes it will feel like pulling teeth. You just have to keep putting one word after another and you will eventually get to the end of your story. And I'm talking from experience here for once - I finished my first ever novel yesterday (well the first draft of one). So if an eternal procrastinator like me can do it, you most definitely can do it to!

tfang1289
01-23-2014, 03:48 AM
Good luck! That's my goal too.

kyisama
01-24-2014, 12:34 AM
I wish you all the luck you can possibly want! I aim to write more than one this year!

Koelsong
01-24-2014, 12:50 AM
I started in short stories, and found them great to hone my storytelling skills. Novels are much more leisurely and a different activity altogether.

Good luck and go for it!

M :)