Status
Not open for further replies.

LBlankenship

VPXV 4EVA
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lblankenship.blogspot.com
Ingram Spark is supposed to give Createspace a "run for its money"... I was reading through it and things were looking good until I got to the part where it's $49 per title to "set up" unless you order at least 50 copies.

That's where I noped out. Anybody else have thoughts?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
What are the costs per copy compared to CreateSpace? And what is the quality of the finished books like?

I know there has been some trouble with Amazon stocking books which are produced by POD printers other than their own: it can mean the books are listed as unavailable, or with a significantly longer delivery time on them than you'd see from non-POD books, or books which are available through CreateSpace, and I think that might still be an issue: I'm sure someone will step in and let us know if that's the case.

K.B. Parker

I've lost my mind
Registered
Reaction score
Apparently, from what I've been able to gather (without attempting to create an account at Lightning Source), is that LS has effectively closed it's doors to self published authors with fewer than a certain number of books. Prior authors, with books currently in their database or an account in the system are grandfathered it.

Still, I know of at least two authors in the past few months who were able to get approved, but know many more that were redirected to Spark by a representative.

Spark is their alternative for those authors, but without all the bells and whistles. For example, I believe that you only have the option to set your discount between 40-55%. On LS, you could set your discount to 20% and most online retailers would or could pick you up. You wouldn't be able to get into stores (if they even wanted the book) in most cases with that low of a discount.

A lot has changed in the past few months. Last time I checked all titles were locked at 55% and returns were not possible. Both these terms have changed.

On top of the $49 fee, there are other costs involved. You must have your own ISBN, and those aren't cheap. I think, if your goal is to get into bookstores (the odds are not in your favor), then Spark would be the better option just because it doesn't have the 'taint' of being connected to Amazon/Createspace. Also, createspace books are non-returnable, they will usually only be ordered by request of a customer at a local bookstore.

If you have your own ISBN, then you could always start out at Createspace, where it's free (minus the proof copy) and if you sell a lot of books you could then take that ISBN and branch out, so to speak.

LBlankenship

VPXV 4EVA
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lblankenship.blogspot.com
Comparing costs of Disciple, Part III:

Createspace: $3.41 for a single copy
Ingram Spark: $3.70 for a single copy

I have no direct experience with Ingram's POD books, but I would certainly be surprised if they made a poor quality POD.

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
Spark has an interesting calculator here. So you can offer a wholesale discount.
I have my own ISBNs. Since both createspace and Spark would be considered printers to me, can I upload the same book with same ISBN to both if I want to take advantage of possible wholesale sales? At least this might work for my local indie bookstores who plan on carrying the one I'm getting ready. (Non-fic local murder.)

HistorySleuth

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
Oh ouch. $25.00 if you have to upload a new file. There is a price list that shows it. I probably can't link to the pdf I imagine because of the bandwidth thing right?

The pdf is on this page. It is under the heading "How Much Does it Cost?" the link to the pdf is in the line that says: "We have volume discounts available for large print orders." It's really about more than that. It's a price list. Looks too like the wholesale 55% still applies too.

Think I'll investigate Bowker's self-publishing arm a bit more. Not that there is any thing wrong with createspace, just one should know their options.

K.B. Parker

I've lost my mind
Registered
Reaction score
Spark has an interesting calculator here. So you can offer a wholesale discount.
I have my own ISBNs. Since both createspace and Spark would be considered printers to me, can I upload the same book with same ISBN to both if I want to take advantage of possible wholesale sales? At least this might work for my local indie bookstores who plan on carrying the one I'm getting ready. (Non-fic local murder.)

As long as you own the ISBN, and it's the same trim, cover and edition, then you can use the ISBN with different printers. You can't however use the free createspace, or even the custom ISBN and use it for a book uploaded to another printer. Those ISBN's are exclusive to createspace editions.

profen4

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
I use both Createspace and LSI (not spark), but from what I understand the difference between Spark and the former LSI account is that Spark requires authors to set a 55% discount for their books (which happens to be what I set anyway), while LSI enables you to set the discount where you'd like.

LSI was never intended for self publishers, which is why they're so unforgiving if you have to upload revisions (a fee each time) where Createspace is free for that sort of thing.

The quality of the LSI books are superior to CS's books, there's no question about that.

sorter

Registered
Reaction score
IngramSpark question

Createspace allows updating the cover or interior of a "published" book.

Does IngramSpark?

HistorySleuth

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
Spark also has a bunch
of online contracts. I started to review them and wow. I just wanted hardcovers of a title, why do I need to sign one for ebooks, one for those vending machine kind, etc.There was no way to skip a form either. I just quit the whole thing and called support to delete much acct.

Status
Not open for further replies.