PDA

View Full Version : A MS's progression from reader to agent?

Treehouseman
01-10-2014, 06:11 AM
Hi, kind of hypothetical question.

If an agency reader likes the MS, do they usually let the writer know the MS has gone up to be read by the actual agent? Or is that kind of progression kept on the down low rather than filling the writer with too much unwarranted optimism?

I'm kind of hoping a delayed response might be something exciting, though feel free to dash my dreams.

Medievalist
01-10-2014, 06:21 AM
It depends entirely on the agency, and the agent.

While you wait, you might want to read The Sobering Saga Of Myrtle the Manuscript. (http://www.sfwa.org/2009/06/the-sobering-saga-of-myrtle-the-manuscript/)

Treehouseman
01-10-2014, 06:26 AM
It depends entirely on the agency, and the agent.

While you wait, you might want to read The Sobering Saga Of Myrtle the Manuscript. (http://www.sfwa.org/2009/06/the-sobering-saga-of-myrtle-the-manuscript/)

Ha! A mystery is revealed ;-)

J.Reid
01-10-2014, 10:05 AM
Every agency is different. I generally do not keep queriers informed of interim steps. All it does is generate more emails, and does not provide the information the author really wants: "are you snagging this puppy or what"

Debbie V
01-13-2014, 10:59 PM
I've never heard of a writer receiving notice of an intermediate step. It could happen; but, as J. Reid says, it wouldn't serve any purpose. The answer will still be yes, no, or please revise this and get back to me.

Putputt
01-13-2014, 11:08 PM
Out of over forty queries sent out, I received just one e-mail from an agent's assistant telling me the agent would read my first pages (included in the query). I looked at that message and went, "Bwuh? Okay...?"

waylander
01-14-2014, 01:21 AM
I'm kind of hoping a delayed response might be something exciting, though feel free to dash my dreams.

It means you haven't been rejected yet.
Keep querying and write something else.

blacbird
01-14-2014, 09:46 AM
First, mine never reach the agency. The query seems to progress quickly from my hand to either the Delete key, or the physical trash bin. At least i think so, most of the queries eliciting no response whatever.

caw

BethS
01-15-2014, 07:09 AM
Hi, kind of hypothetical question.

If an agency reader likes the MS, do they usually let the writer know the MS has gone up to be read by the actual agent? Or is that kind of progression kept on the down low rather than filling the writer with too much unwarranted optimism?

It probably means the agent or agents just haven't got to it yet. But it could mean it's been passed from one to another. So you can keep hoping if you like. :)

I once had the weird experience of an agent requesting a partial, then sending a standard agency rejection. Two weeks later a different agent in that agency requested the full. I didn't tell her it had already been rejected...

Treehouseman
01-20-2014, 09:32 AM
I once had the weird experience of an agent requesting a partial, then sending a standard agency rejection. Two weeks later a different agent in that agency requested the full. I didn't tell her it had already been rejected...

Now that's a cool thing to have happened!

Putputt
01-20-2014, 01:46 PM

Heh, I had the opposite experience once. An agent gave me an offer, which I had to decline because I had already signed on with a different agency by then. A few weeks later, a different agent in that agency sent me a standard rejection. I guess they just had a weird communication slip, but it was interesting to see how one agent liked it enough to go all the way to offering rep, whereas with a different agent, it didn't even make it through the first stage.

Phaeal
01-20-2014, 09:42 PM
I'm afraid that hundreds of queries (and partials and fulls) taught me to read nothing into a long delay. Could be the agent's still reading, could be that you're looking at a no-response-equals-no.

I got no-response-equals-no for requested fulls, so, yeah, you can certainly expect some for queries. Some agencies note that this is their practice, others don't.

Keep writing, keep writing, keep writing. Still my best cure for the waiting blues. ;)

TerryRodgers
01-21-2014, 01:19 AM
I had an agent send me an email that his reader/editor read the first 50 pages, and he wanted to see the full. He even forwarded the reader/editor email. It said, "I read the first 50. This is a keeper. Snag it quick." So I asked several questions while he and the reader were reading the rest of the novel. He said she's never wrong and that he would like to try and sell the novel. She was responding to emails. He was responding to emails. She said she loved it. He said.....not so much. Three years later, the reader/editor is an agent now. He did give me a four page rejection letter though.

And that was over a Thanksgiving Day weekend. I went from excited to where's a window, I wanna jump.

Treehouseman
01-23-2014, 10:54 AM
And that was over a Thanksgiving Day weekend. I went from excited to where's a window, I wanna jump.

OMG, I think my heart would have exploded or I might have had a little cry in the shower or something.

TerryRodgers
01-30-2014, 11:35 PM
OMG, I think my heart would have exploded or I might have had a little cry in the shower or something.

It was a very sad thanksgiving. I met him at a conference the next year and mentioned that and he did remember. He asked if I had written anything else. I said yes. He said send it. I couldn't get myself to do it.

Jennifer_Laughran
02-04-2014, 09:25 AM
It was a very sad thanksgiving. I met him at a conference the next year and mentioned that and he did remember. He asked if I had written anything else. I said yes. He said send it. I couldn't get myself to do it.

Just for the record -- a FOUR PAGE rejection letter is insanely unusual. And if he asked for more material, he meant it. Unless you think that the four pages were all a total load of crap or something -- I'd go for it, if you're still looking for an agent!

I have liked but ultimately rejected something, and then signed the person when they sent their next book, on more than one occasion! Lots of writers get better and better, and agents know that -- he probably saw a lot to love about it, but it just wasn't QUITE there yet. Believe me, a ms that you like well enough to spend a lot of time on is RARE, really -- and that bodes great things for your next book, whether or not this agent takes it on!

Good luck.

Treehouseman
02-06-2014, 01:15 AM
Thanks for yor replies everyone.

Well, I got the rejection, it was a form reject (on a full manuscript!?!? *terrabang*) which was a bit harsh, I was hoping for a couple of words of feedback since we'd journeyed that far.

Oh well, back in the saddle...

Jamesaritchie
02-06-2014, 02:27 AM
Not all agents use readers, of course, but when they do, I think it's best not to tell the writer anything until a decision is reached. Do you really want that kind of added stress in your life?