PDA

View Full Version : Community Gardens

VictoriaE
03-02-2006, 01:47 AM
Hi everyone :)

I'm working on a query for Canadian Gardening about how to start a community garden. If you have any info that you can offer on the subject (see the questions below), do let me know. I'd be more than happy to quote you in my query &, if assigned, the article as well.

Have you or someone you know ever started or worked in a community garden? What were the struggles? Where did you get your info on how to start and manage the garden?

Do you know if your local city has a community garden? Do they have a website?

L M Ashton
03-02-2006, 07:17 AM
I was a member of the Richmond Allotment Gardens in British Columbia. There's a website for all the area allotment gardens (http://www.cityfarmer.org/vanccomgard83.html) you can check out. Ten years ago, I paid something like $10 or $20 a year for a plot that was 10 feet by 10 feet, or some such thing.

It sounds like your questions are more for those who ran the garden as opposed to those who used it, correct?

VictoriaE
03-02-2006, 08:37 PM
I was a member of the Richmond Allotment Gardens in British Columbia. There's a website for all the area allotment gardens (http://www.cityfarmer.org/vanccomgard83.html) you can check out. Ten years ago, I paid something like $10 or $20 a year for a plot that was 10 feet by 10 feet, or some such thing.

It sounds like your questions are more for those who ran the garden as opposed to those who used it, correct?

I'm open to talk to both those that have ran a community garden, as well as those that have particpated. It would be great to know why people wanted to get involved, how often they spent time there ... etc.

L M Ashton
03-03-2006, 07:08 AM
Alrighty then. :) I used the allotment garden space because I lived in an apartment with no balcony but still wanted to have a garden. The allotment garden was the only solution available to me.

As an added bonus, because the land for the garden was so large, there were a lot of members, so it was easy to get gardening advice and tips from long-timers.

I gardened because I prefer the taste of homegrown vegetables (far superior to grocery store), liked having more control over the products that did or didn't touch what I grew (pesticides, herbicides, and the like were not allowed at the allotment garden), and I wanted to grow vegetables & herbs that were either not available in the grocery stores or were overly expensive.

People at the garden were very generous with snippings & splitting clumps of flowers/herbs/whatever could be split, or giving extra seeds or such to others. It was very much a community of people. My favorite character was South American - spoke English with a thick thick accent and just barely wrong idioms and such. He was always happy, smiling, and had great jokes to tell.

They also had a yearly end of season party, complete with barbecue and whatnot. That was also fun.

The garden was about 15 minutes away from where I lived and about 5 minutes away from where I worked, so it was easy enough for me to go there once or twice a week. I probably spent an average of 2 or 3 hours a week there, more in the beginning to prepare the soil and plant than in the end, where it was just a bit of weed control and harvesting.

There were other gardens closer to where I lived and worked, but they were all full and had long waiting lists. Vancouver, BC has a very large granola culture, and as such, allotment gardens all over the area all had long waiting lists. I got into the one I did by working a new, not before gardened, plot. It took a lot more work initially, but I got in. :) And the rental on the virgin land was cheaper.

Is there anything else you want to know?