PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy/Romance Critique Partner needed!

Nimyth
01-09-2014, 10:53 PM
For romance/fantasy. I have finally gotten all the re-writes done. Before I move onto the other half of this book would like to polish this one up a bit.
My first three chapters (about 5k words) read kinda info-dumpy to me. Would like feedback. I am willing to exchange three chapters with someone - any genre except crime/mystery.
My sister was an exceptional editor- so I know what a good edit should look like, feel like and accomplish. I also know enough to be able to say with absolute confidence I can not edit. I will not bother wasting either of our time as it will only prove to be counter-productive for us both.
I am more of an out of the box thinker. I will gladly go through the work you share highlight things that don't feel right, don't make sense etc, and will footnote and add suggestions where I can.
I can brainstorm the heck out of an idea. Give me a clear image to work with and I can take the idea in a myriad of directions. So I think I would be a better fit for someone whom is looking for more of an 'idea' type of critter rather than a 'editorial' type of critter.

kaitie
01-09-2014, 11:19 PM
I saw the title and thought you were looking for an animal. Oops!

Nimyth
01-09-2014, 11:23 PM
I saw the title and thought you were looking for an animal. Oops!
I thought that was the term used for a critiquer/critique partner. Can I change the title of the thread somewhere?

KVL
01-10-2014, 03:27 AM
Hi Nimyth,

You might have better luck posting in this part of the forum: http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30

You can change the title by editing your first post. :) Good luck in your search!

Cathy C
01-10-2014, 05:06 AM
I'll port this over to Beta Readers and Critique Partners. Keep your hands inside the thread at all times. The trip can get bumpy! I'll revise the title mid-flight...

cornflake
01-10-2014, 05:12 AM
For romance/fantasy. I have finally gotten all the re-writes done. Before I move onto the other half of this book would like to polish this one up a bit.
My first three chapters (about 5k words) read kinda info-dumpy to me. Would like feedback. I am willing to exchange three chapters with someone - any genre except crime/mystery.
My sister was an exceptional editor- so I know what a good edit should look like, feel like and accomplish. I also know enough to be able to say with absolute confidence I can not edit. I will not bother wasting either of our time as it will only prove to be counter-productive for us both.
I am more of an out of the box thinker. I will gladly go through the work you share highlight things that don't feel right, don't make sense etc, and will footnote and add suggestions where I can.
I can brainstorm the heck out of an idea. Give me a clear image to work with and I can take the idea in a myriad of directions. So I think I would be a better fit for someone whom is looking for more of an 'idea' type of critter rather than a 'editorial' type of critter.

Hi -

Sorry that I'm not the critter you're looking for; it's not my genre. I know it's not what you asked for, as this isn't SYW or anything, but just because you're discussing critiquing and it's jumped out at me in a number of your posts (it's like a twitch; I can't help but notice), you might want to check your ms. for who/whom errors.

There's one above - the bolded 'whom' should be 'who' - and I know I've seen others. As I said, it just jumps out at me.

The easy way to figure out which to use is to remember whom=him. It's a subject/object difference, but once you get into indirect objects and beyond, it can be hard to figure out. He/him is the same difference, basically, so if you simply either replace one with the other, or answer the question who/whom is asking with he or him, you should be able to tell which to use. Didn't mean to derail, hope you find a beta!

Nimyth
01-10-2014, 05:48 AM
Hi -

There's one above - the bolded 'whom' should be 'who' - and I know I've seen others. As I said, it just jumps out at me.

I do not edit :) Did not even notice it. :Wha:

cornflake
01-10-2014, 05:50 AM
I do not edit :) Did not even notice it. :Wha:

Heh, that's cool - I wasn't suggesting your posts should be perfectly grammatically correct or anything. I can't tell you how many errors I find in mine and I'm picky. I only did mention it because I'd noticed it more than once (your name is unusual) and thus thought you might want to check the ms. Didn't mean to be all 'grammar, rawr!' :)

Nimyth
01-10-2014, 05:58 AM
Heh, that's cool - I wasn't suggesting your posts should be perfectly grammatically correct or anything. I can't tell you how many errors I find in mine and I'm picky. I only did mention it because I'd noticed it more than once (your name is unusual) and thus thought you might want to check the ms. Didn't mean to be all 'grammar, rawr!' :)
On my part. I am fully aware of my grammatical shortcomings which are many. My sister was an editor I understand it is not meant to be personal - it is like someone stuck a rock in your shoe, it just won't go away until you remove that blasted rock ;)

dragonangel517
01-11-2014, 10:49 PM
Sending you a pm.

lianna williamson
01-13-2014, 08:45 PM
Also sending you a PM.