PDA

View Full Version : RIP Run Run Shaw

Steve Coate
01-09-2014, 08:00 AM
Run Run Shaw, part of the Shaw Brothers production company responsible for so many martial arts films, has died at the age of 106.

If you've seen any martial arts film, you've probably seen his work, or films influenced by his work. He produced more than 1,000 martial arts films in his career, and I saw more than a few of those growing up during Shanghai Sunday, Samurai Saturday, etc. type weekend movie promotions on television.

For those interested, here's a link to a rather nice L.A. Times obit (http://www.latimes.com/obituaries/la-me-run-run-shaw-20140108,0,2320182.story#axzz2pryu0YLJ).

blacbird
01-09-2014, 10:57 AM
Age 107, from the story I saw. In any case, he might have been among the oldest twenty or thirty people on the planet. And, in addition to all his martial arts and other films produced in Asia, he did significant work in the U.S., notably being a producer of the 1982 blockbuster Blade Runner.

Being the dumbass I am, I've never exactly understood what a movie producer does, beyond somehow arranging money to be moved about in such a way that actors, directors, crews and other necessary people are obtained. But that's my ignorance, not a knock on movie producers. Every good movie I see, I give credit to everybody involved in putting it together, including producers, who are obviously key to the effort.

We should all live to the age of 107 and have such productive lives.

caw

eyeblink
01-09-2014, 11:21 AM
Age 107, from the story I saw. In any case, he might have been among the oldest twenty or thirty people on the planet.

caw

Not really - the ten oldest living people are 113 plus. As far as I'm aware there's some uncertainty as to Shaw's exact birth date, the month was November 1907.

gringo
01-11-2014, 04:21 PM
I think the film world as a whole, specifically any and all lovers of kung-fu films (myself included), owes a lot to Sir Run Run. We are forever in his debt.

Plus if it weren't for films like WuTang versus Shaolin, the 36 Chambers of Shaolin, Return to the 36 Chambers etc., whatever would have been of the Wu-Tang Clan's recording career? Without all the samples and skits from those movies their albums would have each been, like, half as long.