• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Getting over a Crisis of Confidence

Status
Not open for further replies.

summontherats

Generally More of a Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fairieszombiesandqueries.wordpress.com
All right, so last year was rough. Super rough. Early in the year, I finished a novel that I really liked. I seldom like my writing, so this was startling. It was also not, as it turned out, a good thing.

I let it rest, I edited it, I pitched it. Somewhere in this process, I started to hate it. I began to think that it was awful, unsalvageable, and that only major re-writings could fix whatever goodness it had left in it. Eventually, I started to feel bad that I was ever so proud of it in the first place. But writers write, so I kept writing new stuff, I kept pitching the novel, and I kept trying, even though I felt worse and worse about the entire process.

Unsurprisingly, I eventually crashed. It's a new year now, and I have half a year between me and that entire experience. I just a new, full edit from a beta, and it's kind of encouraging because while there's lots to do, none of it is "burn the entire thing to the ground and start over from scratch."

I don't want to give up on it. That feels like quitting, and I already have 5 other novels I finished but never polished to publishable quality. I really need to stop doing that. But I'm still negative about this story. I feel like I could force myself to work through that, but would that be positive? Would that help?

I know the problem is ultimately my self-esteem. But you all who have dealt with this: What are your coping mechanisms? Are there any books that have helped you guys? Self-affirmation? Ways of catching your self-criticism before it gets out of hand?

aus10phile

committed plantser
Registered
Reaction score
All right, so last year was rough. Super rough. Early in the year, I finished a novel that I really liked. I seldom like my writing, so this was startling. It was also not, as it turned out, a good thing.

I let it rest, I edited it, I pitched it. Somewhere in this process, I started to hate it. I began to think that it was awful, unsalvageable, and that only major re-writings could fix whatever goodness it had left in it. Eventually, I started to feel bad that I was ever so proud of it in the first place. But writers write, so I kept writing new stuff, I kept pitching the novel, and I kept trying, even though I felt worse and worse about the entire process.

Unsurprisingly, I eventually crashed. It's a new year now, and I have half a year between me and that entire experience. I just a new, full edit from a beta, and it's kind of encouraging because while there's lots to do, none of it is "burn the entire thing to the ground and start over from scratch."

I don't want to give up on it. That feels like quitting, and I already have 5 other novels I finished but never polished to publishable quality. I really need to stop doing that. But I'm still negative about this story. I feel like I could force myself to work through that, but would that be positive? Would that help?

I know the problem is ultimately my self-esteem. But you all who have dealt with this: What are your coping mechanisms? Are there any books that have helped you guys? Self-affirmation? Ways of catching your self-criticism before it gets out of hand?

You pretty much described my experience. Three novels in the drawer, never submitted. Another one I wrote, almost killed, started to rewrite, REALLY almost killed, and then I finally picked up again after several months off of it.

I'm not through the process of revising yet, so other people will have even better perspective than me, but here are 2 things that helped me a lot get to the point where I'm making real progress again:

1. Finding good beta reader who can zero in on what doesn't work (and what does) rather than hack the whole thing apart, which it sounds like you've done.

2. Making a to-do list. After I got some feedback and re-read the thing for myself, I just made a list of edits I wanted to make. Took all the emotion out of the process and boiled the whole thing down to task-oriented checklist of stuff to fix. Now I'm working my way through the list. I've already poured so much energy into this thing that I just needed to distance myself and get it done.

I don't know if the end result will be publishable, but I stopped beating myself up about it, stopped second-guessing everything about it, and amazingly started having fun again. If it's not publishable, at least I will feel like I gave it the best shot I could and can move on to something else without feeling like a quitter.

So I don't know if that helps, but I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who has gone through this kind of love-hate thing with their book!

summontherats

Registered
Reaction score
Website
You pretty much described my experience. Three novels in the drawer, never submitted. Another one I wrote, almost killed, started to rewrite, REALLY almost killed, and then I finally picked up again after several months off of it.

I'm not through the process of revising yet, so other people will have even better perspective than me, but here are 2 things that helped me a lot get to the point where I'm making real progress again:

Hurray, I'm not alone!

Thank you! I just got a new reader, so I'm hoping that'll help. I mean, I had a beta reader before. We just... let oursevles go about this process in kind of a backwards way. He and I both did our major edits (multiple edits!) by ourselves and only sent it out for review afterwards, when they were "ready." I've done this for every novel I've written, and all I seem to do is exhaust myself before anyone even gives it a heavy review.

But the new beta is great. I'm hoping it's a start! Did you have a hard time making that to-do list, though? I know I've made some incredibly cruel ones ("Theme is weak. Review chapters 1-7 for any mention of the core themes. No introduction of anything relevant in current draft. Change that.") Some part of my brain thought it was just speaking the clear and helpful truth, I'm sure.

aus10phile

committed plantser
Registered
Reaction score
Did you have a hard time making that to-do list, though? I know I've made some incredibly cruel ones ("Theme is weak. Review chapters 1-7 for any mention of the core themes. No introduction of anything relevant in current draft. Change that.") Some part of my brain thought it was just speaking the clear and helpful truth, I'm sure.

My to-do list is a bit more specific than that. Instead of saying "review chapters 1-7..." it would say something like, "introduce x theme in y scene of chapter z." I would leave out the criticism of the current draft. :)

I made it as task-oriented as possible so that there wouldn't be a lot of room to tell myself it sucked along the way.

Once I get through the list then I'll plan on reading through the whole thing again with a critical eye--but not before.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
It won't work for everyone (depends how one-track your mind is) but I like to have something new to work on at the same time that I'm editing.

Editing, for me, is the worst part of writing. So if I can set myself editing goals for each day (half an hour, a certain number of pages, or whatever) and then ALSO have fresh-word goals, I find I keep my enthusiasm for writing in general high, so I don't get as discouraged about the editing part.

Hyperminimalism

I'm a Bolerian
Registered
Reaction score
...Are you me? xD

Pretty much everything you described, summontherats, is exactly how I feel about this latest story I was working on. I stopped writing it in June of 2013 because at some point, I just stopped loving it as much as I did before. I still love it, don't get me wrong, but there came a time when I just couldn't look at it in the same light any longer. It's sort of a love/hate relationship, if you will, which makes it frustrating because I do want to finish it. And yet I can't bring myself to find a renewed vision of it.

I think the best thing that I have done for the story is to find an alpha/beta who was willing to read through it and give their opinion. This helped to breathe a breath of fresh air into the story, which allows me to see it from a different perspective as well. The problem is finding and keeping someone, however, but from the experiences I've had, even just the edit of a chapter helps. From there, I can work on it individually with the edits and other comments.

Otherwise, nothing else has really helped me, but I hope you find something that allows you to find your confidence.

summontherats

Registered
Reaction score
Website
...Are you me? xD

It seems I have clones! ... Hello, fellow Pacific Northwester!

More feedback seems to be a common suggestion here... and a common sense one. I always edit my story multiple times before getting a real and proper review, and maybe that's the problem. After a couple of runthroughs I am thoroughly haunted by a million problems that might or might not exist, and that makes it harder to share. (I'm sorry you had the same problem, though! I hope you finish it!)

To Captcha: That actually sounds like a great way to deflect some of the stress! I've never tried, since coming up with a new idea is always scariest after writing something big. But maybe just silly, mindless writing would help. Just to distract from the editing.

And to aus10phile: Thank you again! That sounds organized and systematic. :) Now that I have a bucket of comments, I'll see if I can give that a shot.

Hyperminimalism

I'm a Bolerian
Registered
Reaction score
It seems I have clones! ... Hello, fellow Pacific Northwester!

Woohoo! How about that rain? ;)

More feedback seems to be a common suggestion here... and a common sense one. I always edit my story multiple times before getting a real and proper review, and maybe that's the problem. After a couple of runthroughs I am thoroughly haunted by a million problems that might or might not exist, and that makes it harder to share. (I'm sorry you had the same problem, though! I hope you finish it!)

I do the same thing when I edit my own story. I go over it with a fine-toothed comb. I omit, add, reword, take a step back, work on some thing else (and sometimes not), come back and do the same thing. But after a while, it just gets old and stale, and instead of enjoying the story, I find every single thing that is wrong with it and more. Like...how can I write such crap? How on Earth did I miss that? What the heck was I thinking?

*sigh* It's a vicious cycle, which is why I like help from the outside, but it has been insanely hard to find a steady stream of assistance. Just gotta keep it up.

aus10phile

committed plantser
Registered
Reaction score
It won't work for everyone (depends how one-track your mind is) but I like to have something new to work on at the same time that I'm editing.

Editing, for me, is the worst part of writing. So if I can set myself editing goals for each day (half an hour, a certain number of pages, or whatever) and then ALSO have fresh-word goals, I find I keep my enthusiasm for writing in general high, so I don't get as discouraged about the editing part.

I love this idea and I'm dying to try it myself. At this point in my life, however, when fiction writing is still an unpaid second job, it's hard enough to make time for one project. Hats off to anyone who can make time for two! Hoping that will be me someday.

BMajor

Probably judging you.
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Rats! :p

I'm sorry you went through this. I'm trudging through a similar experience (and oh my gosh how horrible is this.. wow, I mean really.)

It's not fun. I agree with Captcha in that working on something new might help. I only usually do that when I'm sort of done with one project though, as you seem to be. This is only because I get distracted WAY too easily.. Ha! Have any new ideas for anything (Any stories? Poems?)? Something to inspire you? Get the spark back?

Usually if I'm feeling good about something else I'm working on, I tend to look at other complete projects (or projects nearing completion) with a more positive attitude.

Perhaps stepping away entirely for a bit might help, but it looks like you've already done so - For half a year? It's good that the beta was able to give it a kick start - get more betas! More opinions might push you to really start thinking about it again.

Good luck!

summontherats

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Having somebody accept a submission would probably help, but I only suspect that in theory, lacking personal experience of such an event.

caw

Ha ha, probably! A little confidence and optimism would help me survive the querying process better, though. I only queried about 35 agents, and one asked for a partial. You'd think that'd be encouraging, except they rejected it a few weeks later with a form letter. I tried with every inch of my being to be rational, because this is just what happens, but it still fell like "Oh, they took a long shot on a vaguely interesting idea, saw the writing, and immediately realized it was a huge mistake!"

summontherats

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hey Rats! :p

It's not fun. I agree with Captcha in that working on something new might help. I only usually do that when I'm sort of done with one project though, as you seem to be. This is only because I get distracted WAY too easily.. Ha! Have any new ideas for anything (Any stories? Poems?)? Something to inspire you? Get the spark back?

Usually if I'm feeling good about something else I'm working on, I tend to look at other complete projects (or projects nearing completion) with a more positive attitude.

Perhaps stepping away entirely for a bit might help, but it looks like you've already done so - For half a year? It's good that the beta was able to give it a kick start - get more betas! More opinions might push you to really start thinking about it again.

Good luck!

Thank you!

Ugh, last year was a wasteland of creativity. It was the first time in years that I just... stopped writing entirely. Two novels died in my hands. I couldn't figure out what to do with them, and when I tried to write anyway I realized they were deeply flawed. I tried short stories, which were OK, but they were really just pointless fluff, and I couldn't come up with a steady stream of them.

I have an idea for a novel and I'm a little scared that it's going to die on me, too. I'm excited that I have anything, but it's still a little scary. So I have all the right elements--something else to work on, some good comments to look through, the energy to edit more--but oh goodness, am I afraid I'm going to ruin it all.

Speaking of betas, though, how does the beta board here work? I know I have to get 50 posts for SYW. Is it the same over there?

Last edited:

Flipper_Dipper

Registered
Reaction score
Just thought I'd share my experience. I went through a similar thing a few years ago, but I found personally that it wasn't my writing as such that had problems. It actually was more the people that I was around and how they just told me stuff like writing was pointless and killed all creativity. I find now that I've got my boyfriend to bounce ideas off and read through my work that that really helps me. Also I find listening to music or specific songs really helps me be more creative and come up with new ideas. I still worry sometimes that my writing isn't as good as I want it to be but I find sharing my work with others and getting criticism that is constructive is also helpful and beneficial to my thoughts about my own writing. I hope this helps.

BMajor

Probably judging you.
Registered
Reaction score
Speaking of betas, though, how does the beta board here work? I know I have to get 50 posts for SYW. Is it the same over there?

I don't think you need 50 posts to promote your need of a beta on the beta boards, but it's certainly helpful :) and by that I just mean that you've spent a good deal of time around critiquing or offering feedback to others' work as well.

I love Maryn's reasoning here, but it's just about getting involved in discussions, critiquing your heart out, and letting others see your activity. I'm sure there will be plenty to help, but only when the time is right! Good luck giiiiirrllll!

Maramoser

much writing. very books
Registered
Reaction score
Website
marafitzgerald.blogspot.com
Last edited:

Hyperminimalism

I'm a Bolerian
Registered
Reaction score
Oh yay, crises of confidence! I have those! Three thoughts:

-keep anything nice anyone has ever said to you about your writing in a document that you can easily access

-make a "love list" for whatever project you decide to persevere on to remind yourself why you started writing it in the first place and why it's worthwhile

-read this blog post

:Hug2:

EDIT: thought of another post you should read. can you tell I have experience in trying to cheer myself up?

This is actually a pretty good idea. I haven't really thought about documenting the nice things people say in reviews. When I post a story and it garners comments, the majority will usually be something akin to: "Oh my GOD, I love this! More, please!" which is great, don't get me wrong. I just love it when the reader goes into a little more detail to tell me why they love it. But when or if I start posting anything again, I will try this and see how it makes me feel about my work.

summontherats

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Oh yay, crises of confidence! I have those! Three thoughts:

-keep anything nice anyone has ever said to you about your writing in a document that you can easily access

-make a "love list" for whatever project you decide to persevere on to remind yourself why you started writing it in the first place and why it's worthwhile

-read this blog post

:Hug2:

EDIT: thought of another post you should read. can you tell I have experience in trying to cheer myself up?

Oh, these are all wonderful! Thank you so much. :) I'm going to bookmark all of these!

But I like that love list idea. I especially like them showing how it can be used as a checklist of important ideas when you edit the story. That makes it an actual tool, and not just an encouragement technique. That's wonderful!

Maramoser

much writing. very books
Registered
Reaction score
Website
marafitzgerald.blogspot.com
Yay, glad I helped! And yeah, love lists have so many purposes. It's important to remind yourself what you're actually doing right! haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.