PDA

View Full Version : Children's Book Authors Reading Their Bad Reviews

Captcha
01-08-2014, 03:40 PM
I've seen celebrities on one of the late night shows (Jimmy Fallon?) reading hate tweets about themselves.

This set of videos takes the idea to children's authors.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/monica-edinger/one-way-childrens-book-cr_b_4553349.html

I wasn't sure I was going to like it, but I ended up watching all three videos. Fun to put faces (and accents) to names, but also maybe a good way to release some stress while avoiding the Author's Big Mistake?

Putputt
01-08-2014, 03:55 PM
Heh, I watched the first video and found some of them entertaining. But mostly I was kinda surprised by how mild the 1-star reviews are. Maybe I'm just numbed by Youtube comments...?

I liked the "goth teenager" thing...:D

Captcha
01-08-2014, 04:06 PM
I thought it was funnier because they were children's books - somehow I think of that as being a fluffy, happy land, so the reviews were an interesting contrast!

Phaeal
01-08-2014, 06:28 PM
As Olivia Goldsmith said of the children's book world, it's bunny eat bunny out there.

Putputt
01-08-2014, 06:45 PM
As Olivia Goldsmith said of the children's book world, it's bunny eat bunny out there.

:roll:

I always thought that if anything, children's book reviews would be even harsher because parents might get protective over what their children read.

Tazlima
01-13-2014, 07:22 AM
Lol, now I'm trying to imagine exactly what sort of rhymes are "sleazy."

frimble3
01-13-2014, 09:24 AM

Limericks?
I'm thinking it would be possible to write a picture book in limericks that would seem perfectly innocent to a small child, but that an adult, with more knowledge of both words and limericks, would mentally change to the 'sleazy' version.
I doubt there is much market for a double-entendre picture book, although it might be entertaining for the adult, forced to read the same story over and over.

Torgo
01-13-2014, 02:11 PM
Limericks?
I'm thinking it would be possible to write a picture book in limericks that would seem perfectly innocent to a small child, but that an adult, with more knowledge of both words and limericks, would mentally change to the 'sleazy' version.
I doubt there is much market for a double-entendre picture book, although it might be entertaining for the adult, forced to read the same story over and over.

Imagine me as an eight-year-old on the train, reading out sections of Bored of the Rings by the Harvard Lampoon to my aged grandma.

shaldna
01-13-2014, 03:48 PM
Just ordered some of these books - thanks for sharing.

Cyia
01-13-2014, 07:13 PM

The kind narrated by Samuel L. Jackson, maybe? Or was Go the **** to Sleep not in rhyme?

Wilde_at_heart
01-13-2014, 11:32 PM
Limericks?

I've never read through it, but there is a collection of children's stories called Things that go bump in the night :D