PDA

View Full Version : Landscape painters

whiporee
01-08-2014, 05:50 AM
Anyone know if there's a website anywhere that they get together and talk?

melindamusil
01-08-2014, 07:19 AM
Yes.
For starters, given the vast number of websites out there, you can basically assume there's a forum for every imaginable interest out there.
I googled "landscape painter forum" and got 751,000 results. Of the first 10, at least 3 of them point to what appears to be artist-specific forums, plus one of them points to deviantart (which is a HUGE online art community).

Is there anything specific that you're wondering about landscape painters?

Alessandra Kelley
01-08-2014, 07:25 AM
You might try wetcanvas.com

I might be able to answer some questions too, if it would help.

Telergic
01-08-2014, 07:44 AM
Hehe: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=landscape+painting+forum

whiporee
01-08-2014, 08:22 AM
Yeah, i should have done that before posting. Sorry. WetCanvas looks pretty cool, so I'll try there. Talk about brave.

Alessandra, I want to make the MC of my new novel an amateur painter of seascapes. I don't know how integral I want it to be to her character since she'll have no formal truing, but I want to be able to use the right phraseology during her internal conversations. And then I have some basic questions, too, like would she ever work at night, looking out at a dark sea. Could she have enough light o paint and still be able to see the storm approaching? I know that sounds basic, but I wanted to ask before I dove in. As I'm getting to know her, part of her character is a desire to remake her world to a degree, so she starts painting -- she's an expatriate living in the Bahamas and is pretty sunny most of the time, so most of her stuff would be like that.

That's part of why I was looking for a forum -- so I could eavesdrop at the way a painter thinks, see the kinds of topics that generate arguments. I wouldn't be able to write a novel about her painting (and this isn't one) but I think it's a neat entry into other aspects of her. If you're willing, I'd love the chance to ask some questions, but I don't want to impose.

Buffysquirrel
01-08-2014, 06:08 PM
If she hasn't had training, you could probably have her not using the right phraseology, because she won't necessarily have encountered it.

melindamusil
01-09-2014, 12:19 AM
I would not call myself a painter, but my sister is an artist so I've had a fair amount of interaction with the art world.

Aside from visiting museums with my sister, I took a couple of art classes in high school. We were lucky to have an outstanding art teacher at the time. I learned some information on terminology from that. I was good enough at it (at least I got good grades), but I don't consider myself a painter or visual artist - unless you consider it art to use words. :)

As far as time of day... My observations from spending time with artists and visiting art museums is that, artists will paint whatever they see that strikes their fancy. It may be a sunrise/sunset, it may be high noon, it may be nighttime. Vincent Van Gogh's Starry Night (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Starry_Night) is a famous nighttime painting that comes to mind.

Some artists, in fact, will challenge themselves to paint a nighttime painting because painting with very little light will help them to hone their skills.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Like I said, I don't consider myself an artist, but I've lived with an artist and spent enough time with artists that I know a bit about how they think.

Bing Z
01-13-2014, 05:46 PM
melindamusil, I think you're my gal ^_^

For an average art student in high school, how far will she be able to identify a painting she has not seen before, like, for example, this one (http://www.artvalue.com/auctionresult--sisley-alfred-1839-1899-france-matin-pres-du-loing-2954845.htm)? Impressionist? Landscape? Alfred Sisley?

In my book the MC, a high school art major senior whose mother is a watercolor painter and father runs a small art appraisal/auction firm (and thus I'm giving her an edge over other art students), is presented with photos of several paintings and her narration is:

...an impressionist landscape (http://www.artvalue.com/auctionresult--monet-claude-1840-1926-france-la-promenade-d-argenteuil-un-s-2854868.htm) that looks like Claude Monetís, a light and atmospheric scenic (http://www.artvalue.com/auctionresult--vernet-claude-joseph-joseph-17-a-mediterranean-harbor-at-suns-2820137.htm), a classicism folklore (http://www.artvalue.com/auctionresult--siemiradzki-henryk-hendrik-184-the-sword-dance-2872155.htm), and a surrealist watercolor (http://www.artvalue.com/auctionresult--magritte-rene-1898-1967-belgiu-le-paysage-de-baucis-2954648.htm) that Momís staring at.Sounds right?

melindamusil
01-14-2014, 12:36 AM
Hmm...
To answer your first question- she should definitely be able to identify "impressionist" and "landscape". In high school art class, we had to learn about different styles of art (like impressionism, realism, pointellism, romanticism) and different media (like acrylic paint, watercolor paint, pencils, colored pencils, markers). The teacher would then assign us to create different pieces of artwork using a specific style and media. Sometimes she would set up a specific image for us to paint/draw (like a vase of flowers on the ledge, or a pinwheel set against a newspaper); other times, we would have to create the image ourselves; sometimes we would have to "paint the classics", i.e. we had to attempt to copy a particular famous piece of art.

As far as recognizing specific artists - that's a little more hit-and-miss. Of course, we learned about specific artists who worked within each style of art, but knowing (and remembering) every single artist would be tough. She'd be more likely to remember artists that she was really interested in or maybe had to paint within his style or copy his painting (you don't forget the painting you spent a month attempting to recreate!!). Which is not to say she WON'T know the artist - in fact, having parents in the art world, IMO, makes her more likely to know the artist. Her parents are probably the kind of people to visit art museums or have books and posters of art all around the house - so she'd learn a lot from them, too.

For your quote - I'm guessing she is describing the paintings in a room she's just entered? or something like that? Her description sounds pretty realistic to me.

Feel free to ask more questions. It's kinda fun to dig back into my memories of art class - even though I wasn't a great artist, it was still a lot of fun.

Alessandra Kelley
01-14-2014, 02:24 AM
I would recognize it as a landscape, obviously oils, Impressionist. I would think immediately of Seurat or Renoir, as it's similar to their style and I tend to overlook Sisley.

Medium is one of the first things I think of. Is it oils or watercolor or tempera or pastel or crayon (not what you'd think), a sketch or a study or a full-blown painting.

Bing Z
01-14-2014, 07:17 AM
Thanks a lot, melindamusil and Alessandra.

The medium, while obvious, has been eluding my descriptions. I'll have to look closer. It's nice to know my "lingo" has been okay so far. I may have another scene later on between art students discussing something about their in-school visual arts magazine. I may seek your opinions again.

Thanks again!