I finished the rough draft for my second novel

Status
Not open for further replies.

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
It's a VERY rough draft, but it's completed, start to finish. I tend to "write badly" on purpose on a rough draft because I've found (after learning the hard way on my first novel) that it's better to complete an entire draft at once, even if it means sort of skimming over certain parts I want to flesh out/change later.

On my first novel, I wrote the first few chapters, concentrating on making them perfect, then I went back and rewrote them over and over and over, getting them good but not even knowing where the story was going in the later parts of the book. This resulted in many unnecessary rewrites as I was constantly having to go back to the beginning and change everything that was altered by the later parts. It added years to the time I spent writing the book (I began that one in 2007 and I'm still working on it querying it).

I'm hoping with my new method, I can have a better grasp on the overall story from the get-go and not have to make so many changes along the way (but who am I kidding, I probably still will, lol).

Anyways, just wanted to share. Two novels! Woo hoo! :)

Canton

A tethered mind
Registered
Reaction score
I've found (after learning the hard way on my first novel) that it's better to complete an entire draft at once, even if it means sort of skimming over certain parts I want to flesh out/change later.

Congrats, andiwrite!! :fistpump And I'm in the exact same boat as you. I will figure out what needs to be where in the second draft. I've just got to get it all out first.

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck and thank you both. I think writing the rough draft is the absolute hardest. It's difficult for me to make that initial transition from "movie in my head" to words on paper. Once I have the words to edit and rewrite, I seem to have much more fun with it.

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad you've found a method that works for you. Congrats!

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
CGs, and I agree with your modus operandi. Treating the first draft like it's the only draft is counterproductive for many writers, a recipe for freezing up and getting stuck in the early chapters. I still have to fight this perfection mindset myself.

Jett.

House: RumNcoke; Sigil: Jelly Donut
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats!

And thx: seeing someone getting through the first draft is very inspiring for me to continue working on mine!

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
On my first novel, I wrote the first few chapters, concentrating on making them perfect, then I went back and rewrote them over and over and over, getting them good but not even knowing where the story was going in the later parts of the book. This resulted in many unnecessary rewrites as I was constantly having to go back to the beginning and change everything that was altered by the later parts. It added years to the time I spent writing the book (I began that one in 2007 and I'm still working on it querying it).

It took me about four years to learn to complete the first draft before I go back and edit one sentence. I'd fall into the editing trap, but I was just editing in circles and not getting anywhere. I hope after a few run throughs, you'll post in SYW. :)

I'm glad you found something that works for you. Congrats on finishing the first draft! Step one is complete!

Spell-it-out

I'm gonna give all my secrets away
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, that is great news!

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
It's a VERY rough draft, but it's completed, start to finish. I tend to "write badly" on purpose on a rough draft because I've found (after learning the hard way on my first novel) that it's better to complete an entire draft at once, even if it means sort of skimming over certain parts I want to flesh out/change later.

I'm hoping with my new method, I can have a better grasp on the overall story from the get-go and not have to make so many changes along the way (but who am I kidding, I probably still will, lol).

Anyways, just wanted to share. Two novels! Woo hoo! :)

Congrats. I wish I was there.

lianna williamson

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations! Finishing a complete draft is such a huge milestone.

I'm the same way about my rough drafts-- they are VERY rough, because I find it easier to make big changes if I haven't already invested a lot of time fiddling and making it Just So.

Status
Not open for further replies.