French History: Ranks of the National Guard?

la-gamine

Child at Heart.
Registered
Reaction score
Just so you know what we're dealing with here, I have a story based on the events of the French Revolution, however there's a bit of a twist in that it's set in the 1980s instead of the 1780s so it's a bit of a mix of both the past and present.

To get to the point, many of my characters are involved in the National Guard. I've scoured the internet in search of information as to the formation of their ranks but haven't found the information I've been looking for.

I also have been searching for information on the National Guard rank of Lafayette and what the equivalent modern rank would be. He's listed in many sources as the Commandant Général, however I cannot find its relation to other ranks.

I realize it's a difficult subject to find the answers for but hopefully there's a few history buffs around here that can answer a thing or two.

TheNighSwan

Banned
Reaction score
What I can find mentions at least the following ranks (from lowest to highest): sergent, caporal, sous-lieutenant, lieutenant, capitaine, commandant. These seem to be very similar to the modern ranks used in the French army, air force and national gendarmerie. As for Lafayette, in the French wikipedia they give his modern rank as "général de division".

la-gamine

Child at Heart.
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, that's pretty much what I had down, so I guess I will stick with that unless something else comes up. Thank you! Was there any mention of there being both non-commissioned and commissioned ranks?