• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

YA Fantasy Beta Reader

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lookinglass

And your little dog, too
Registered
Reaction score
If any of you have been hanging out at Query Hell, you might've seen a query about dragons bouncing about:

Ever since a mysterious organization used her blood to wake a dragon, fourteen-year-old Misha dreams through the eyes of the monster she was forced to unleash. Every night her faith in the army dies a little as she watches the dragon taunt the soldiers sent by her mother, the most powerful mage in South Korea. When her friends start going MIA, Misha takes initiative by scouring the area for clues, only to spot the dragon fleeing from a gruesome crime scene.

To protect the few friends she has, Misha dissects her dreams to track the dragon through the seedy magical underbelly of Seoul, eventually deducing he’s evading capture by masquerading as a human. But the more she shares his dreams, the less the dragon seems like the heartless monster from her history textbooks. Luckily, her mother raised her to compartmentalize her feelings. But when she sets the perfect trap for the dragon, Misha instead catches the true culprit behind her friends’ disappearances in action: Janus, the organization that kidnapped her.

Misha tips off her mother of Janus’s plans to harness the dragon as a weapon. Instead of switching targets, her mother is determined to slay the beast before Janus sells him to their cozy neighbor up North. Worse, when Misha learns the reason for her psychic connection with the dragon, she’s forced to admit he’s as much an innocent in this war as she is. If she wants to prevent another Korean War, Misha will have to team up with the dragon to stop Janus, even if she has to betray her own mother.

THE DRAGON'S PEARL is a 100,000-word YA Fantasy set in 21st-century Korea where dragons were once worshipped as gods. The aerial warfare and alternate history are in the vein of Novik’s His Majesty’s Dragon, while the Asian mythology will appeal to readers of Goodman’s Eon: Dragoneye Reborn.

I'm still in the midst of revision, but I'll be good to send it out in batches of chapters, rather than the whole novel.

While I'm looking for a beta reader for this novel (especially busy this month), I'd love to meet someone who I can work with long-term, swapping work/encouraging each other/moaning about how no one understands us poor writers.

PM me if interested!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.