PDA

View Full Version : When a book doesn't stand alone . . .

DonnaDuck
01-05-2014, 07:26 AM
This seemed like the best board for this question since it's about my query letter so I'll go for it. I posed this to an author friend of mine and I figured I'd post it here as well so I can get a few different perspectives on it. I'm just going to copy and paste my original message to her:

I'm having trouble with the 'this book stands alone' aspect of the letter because it really doesn't. I know the pitch really needs to be about the one book and I plan on making the letter about this one book as much as possible, however, all you'd have to do is get to the end of the novel and see it's very much not a stand alone. I know fantasy novels get passes with certain standards (allowances for longer word counts, longer blurbs for world building, and they're usually NOT stand alones). So instead of outright lying in my query letter (because that's not a good way to start a relationship), how should I word that particular sentence? 'While it's possible [TITLE] could stand alone that is not the intent.'? I know there is one more book in this series. There MAY be two more; it all depends on how two would pan out (quite frankly one shocked the shit out of me). Help?

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated and help me greatly. Thanks!

buz
01-05-2014, 07:31 AM
There is a Query Quagmire post on the subject and it is all I know about it so I'll just leave it here:

querying a series
(http://queryquagmire.tumblr.com/post/15677873417/another-question-when-someone-queries-an-editor-agent)

DonnaDuck
01-05-2014, 07:37 AM
Thanks, buzhidao! That post help and I have another blog to follow on tumblr. Always a plus.