PDA

View Full Version : WHAT HAPPENS WHEN.....

RoccoMom
03-01-2006, 03:49 PM
An agent decides he/she likes your work enough to represent it? Do they:

A) send you a contract via snail mail
B) Email you with the good news
C) Call you on the telephone

Just curious, as I have many queries out and some agents actually reading the ms.

waylander
03-01-2006, 06:54 PM
I suspect that they will either call you, or e-mail asking you to call them. There's more to sort out than 'is your work good enough?'. They will want to find out if you are someone they can work with and, equally, you need to find out if you can work with them.

triceretops
03-04-2006, 01:56 PM
In my experience it has been phone calls first. Then if you both agree, they'll send a contract. In my case the contract was sent via an attachment that I printed out and signed two copies and sent. Then his extra signed copy (from him) came back to me.

Tri

aadams73
03-04-2006, 04:18 PM
Mine called me on the phone, but I was out at the time so she followed up with an email asking me when would be a good time to call.

Cathy C
03-04-2006, 10:29 PM
From authors I've talked to, it's a combination of all three. Either the agent calls during business hours, or emails to find out a TIME to call. Agents like a personal touch, since many never actually ever MEET their clients. A voice on the phone at least helps them know when it's really you calling later on. They also want to discuss strategy for the book, potential edits that they think might help sell it, and what you expect for your writing career.

Then they snail mail the contract. :)

Branwyn
03-04-2006, 11:27 PM
It sounds so exciting!

Congrats Cathy on the book!;)

RoccoMom
03-06-2006, 07:40 PM
Yeah, and more so if there's a message on your answering machine.....

Jamesaritchie
03-08-2006, 10:29 PM
My first agent called. She probably thought she had reached the state mental hospital because once I realized an agent was on the phone it was five minutes before I said anything sane.

Branwyn
03-08-2006, 11:15 PM
My first agent called. She probably thought she had reached the state mental hospital because once I realized an agent was on the phone it was five minutes before I said anything sane.
:ROFL:
lol -- That'd be me.