PDA

View Full Version : Where do you like to write?

Phoebs
01-04-2014, 04:49 AM
What are your favorite writing haunts?

Where do you like to hang out when you're reading through your work?

Do you like the hustle and bustle of a cafe or do you need complete and total silence?

Personally, I love cafes. Other people don't distract me... someone could be cutting down a tree right next to me and I'd probably be okay. :e2chain:

On the other hand, I can't stand working at home, because I get too comfortable. I start making food, or tea... and then more tea.. and then I figure since I've got a snack I'd better watch some TV because who likes to write AND eat? NOT ME.

Anyway, what about you? Where do you like to write?

P.S. I'm sorry if someone's already asked this question. I took a pretty thorough look around and couldn't find this topic, but I'm sure it's been asked before. So to whomever it may concern: SORRY FOR THREAD THEFT, IT WAS UNINTENTIONAL I SWEAR :e2paperba

Caitlin Black
01-04-2014, 05:43 AM
I only seem to be able to write at home. This isn't because of needing silence - it's because I need loud music playing, and cafes tend to frown on having death metal blaring past their musak. :)

Also, I get self-conscious when using a computer around other people, so being alone helps me be myself. :)

Morri
01-04-2014, 05:57 AM
I like writing at home too. Anywhere else and I'm distracted by the thought of someone else bothering me or asking what I'm working on. I guess I'm just private about my writing, so going somewhere public to do it is something I probably wouldn't do.

ZachJPayne
01-04-2014, 05:59 AM
I do all of my heavy writing at home. I have a portable "office (http://s5.postimg.org/udi23ji2f/unnamed.jpg)" (a picture I took for another thread). In the morning, I'll usually sit down in my room and put on a headset. In the afternoon/evening, I'll be more sociable, and park my office down in front of the TV.

Phoebs
01-04-2014, 08:34 AM
Haha I love the portable office Zach.

Although I do write at home sometimes, I get really lonely without all the hustle and bustle which is why I end up going online/netflix/making food.

LJD
01-04-2014, 08:36 AM
I like writing in coffee shops.
I do a lot of writing at home, too.

Undercover
01-04-2014, 11:16 AM
Definitely at home, preferrably alone. I can't wait till everyone goes back to school. I do my best in silence. Although when I'm surfing the net or researching, I have the music on.

I do like to write outside (pen and paper, old school) but again when I'm alone with that too, it's the best.

Pushingfordream
01-04-2014, 01:19 PM
I like writing on a couch, but I'm more productive at a desk.

CobaltRose96
01-04-2014, 01:42 PM
I do the majority of my writing at home, although I do like to listen to music whilst I'm writing.

Lorcroftlegacy
01-04-2014, 08:01 PM
Now I have a desk, but when I was writing my first draft I just did it in my bed.

Ona Mission
01-04-2014, 08:57 PM
On a big pile of money. But since I don't have that, at my dining room table. I face a wall, but light filters in from the sun room. I can look outside whenever I want to, without being distracted every time the snow drifts or a critter scurries across the fence.

Pushingfordream
01-04-2014, 10:59 PM
Now I have a desk, but when I was writing my first draft I just did it in my bed.

The desk writing lifestyle always increases productivity for me!

Kievah
01-05-2014, 11:31 AM
Now, what I'd love is to write at a spacious desk in my own study / home library utterly surrounded by my SFF stuff, comics, manga, some artworks, a hammock in the corner for editing hard copy and reading. An armchair in case my back gets sore (happens sometimes). I'd like a decent sound system set up, too. A filing system for my manuscripts, submissions, and rejection slips. Oh, and a door that stays closed until I get up to open it.

That's not going to happen, ha.

I write at my daughter's desk in her bedroom with the door closed. On the couch in the lounge, if she's sleeping. I'm just grateful for silence every now and then, ha.

DragonHeart
01-05-2014, 05:06 PM
I write at home, in my office. Partly because I dislike the distraction of other people. All the hustle and bustle, the noise; it will break my concentration. Also for much more practical reasons. My desktop PC isn't exactly portable. Call me old fashioned but I like my command center. I have notebooks and Evernote to jot notes and such down of course, but rarely does it turn into actual writing.

Lugal
01-18-2014, 12:02 AM
I usually prefer to do my writing at home, in seclusion a much as possible. I also write at work when it's slow there.

KellyAssauer
01-18-2014, 12:19 AM
I'll write anywhere (I'm cheap that way)

Editing or rewriting however, demands my comfy & silent sanctuary.

Shadow_Ferret
01-18-2014, 12:20 AM
I need to feel comfortable and secure, free from the fear and stress I'd experience out in public around strangers.

So I write at home in the living room with my laptop on a TV table and the TV turned to some oldies channel showing a program from my childhood, while my family and pets hover around me.

Spruce
01-18-2014, 12:41 AM
In comfy, comfy bed

On the floor in front of the patio door where the sun is always shining

In the doctor's office while I wait for my Mum (memo pad)

In the car

On the workbench in the basement when it's too hot upstairs

Gena_Skyler
01-18-2014, 12:46 AM
As long as no one is bugging me I can write anywhere. I don't mind bringing my laptop places, but if people are asking me questions I can't focus.

I've finally set up an office just off my bedroom and it's been fantastic :)

zooloo
01-18-2014, 02:37 AM
The place I'm best productive is at home while my son is at preschool. However, I don't get that luxury very often, so I do most of it at work. Its hard when there are distractions and interruptions though. (How dare they interrupt my writing and expect me to work on occasion?) I hope my writing doesn't reflect my scatter-brained mind...

gdossetto
01-18-2014, 02:45 AM
I write at the library. I can't write at home, I don't like to write around my family. Kind of odd I know.

Bushrat
01-18-2014, 02:47 AM
After years of writing in our loft crouched on the bed with earplugs and a view of the laundry basket, I finally built myself a small little studio last year--a couple hundred yards away from the house, and no internet. Bliss!!! :Sun:

RightHoJeeves
01-18-2014, 01:48 PM
Somewhere alone

Sinderion
01-19-2014, 07:15 PM
At my little desk in the corner on a touchscreen laptop. I actually use a voice recognition for the initial work. I've been doing it for a few months now and I love it. It has a triple benefit of being fun, forcing me to hear it all out loud, and making me pay extra attention to root out the (very few) odd mistakes it will make. I don't edit much with it though since it's kind of clunky with that. I'm sure this sounds like an idiot thing to do though lol.

Thanks to the fact that I'm saying it all out loud, I have to be alone in my room. I usually have news or pandora on on the other computer in the room.

SunshineonMe
01-20-2014, 08:38 PM
always at home. In fact, I am a bear if you disturb me. It's not on purpose, it just takes me a second to change gears. So it goes like this-
"Mom!! Where's my..."
"What!...... oh sorry, I'm writing." ughhh

Luckily they're teenagers, so they understand a little.

Flipper_Dipper
01-20-2014, 09:11 PM
At home, with minimal distractions minus music, really should get my desk sorted out so I can use it...but then again the bedroom is always freezing!

RNJ
01-21-2014, 12:48 AM
I'm a homer too, most of the time. I will write at lunch at work sometimes if not too busy. I like it quiet. I would like to try writing at a coffee shop sometime. Might be inspirational.

Ken
01-21-2014, 01:40 AM
Personally, I love cafes.

Cafes are cool. I wrote in the same one for several years. Very dimly lit. Candles on the tables. Neat !

Unfortunately it closed :-(

Kylabelle
01-21-2014, 03:37 AM
That does sound neat, Ken. Most cafes are too busy for me to write in, I get distracted way too easily.

I keep having visions of a nice room somewhere with an actual desk or table, and a window that looks onto something open; a quiet room where I can close the door, and with enough space that I might organize some books and papers. The most active writing I ever did was when I had such a space to write in.

I don't think I've ever really become used to computers for writing, either. If my handwriting had not deteriorated as badly as it has, I think I would go back to legal pads and pens! I still use those for poetry as a matter of fact.

But right now I write, when I do, which isn't often enough to suit me, on this laptop, while sitting up in bed.

I'd love a writing room, I would.

Ken
01-21-2014, 03:04 PM
Pen an paper are still my favorite for writing. Computers are FANTASTIC for editing and revision. But for composition I still find the former superior. Shameful declaration to be sure in this technological era of ours.

If I could wish you a writing room like the one you describe I would ! :-)

I'm sorta satisfied with my own arrangement. Just a desk facing a wall. I made it myself. More like a work table for carpentry or whatnot. But it suits the purpose. I have a small landscape painting by it. A wonderful view ;-)

trettig
01-25-2014, 01:57 PM
I love writing in the gazebo in the entrance of my apartment. It's quiet, you are surrounded by "nature" and once you're slacking of, you always have the chance to get inspired by the people walking by.

Recklezz
01-25-2014, 05:11 PM
At home, on my desktop computer in the computer room :) nice and quiet.

Mossy9
01-31-2014, 07:04 PM
Usually I'll write in my home office (aka the 2nd bedroom/storage area of my apartment ha). This week I've tried writing in the living room while I'm watching TV. Found it strangely easy.

Mossy9
01-31-2014, 07:54 PM
[QUOTE=Phoebs;8626405]What are your favorite writing haunts?

Where do you like to hang out when you're reading through your work?

Do you like the hustle and bustle of a cafe or do you need complete and total silence?

Personally, I love cafes. Other people don't distract me... someone could be cutting down a tree right next to me and I'd probably be okay. :e2chain:

On the other hand, I can't stand working at home, because I get too comfortable. I start making food, or tea... and then more tea.. and then I figure since I've got a snack I'd better watch some TV because who likes to write AND eat? NOT ME.

Anyway, what about you? Where do you like to write?

Totally random question. Is your name Phoebe? Because my name is Febe..

Brother G
01-31-2014, 11:00 PM
I like to stand. I've not yet rigged up my treadmill, but when I do so I'll be walking as I write, too. It keeps me alert and focused.

I like to be alone, too, when I write. No people-y distractions.

By a wall, so that I can tape notes to it for easy access while writing.

s.cummings
03-13-2014, 01:41 AM
I like to be sitting on my couch with a coffee or tea. But I also like cafes or the library.

annaheyerdahl
03-13-2014, 04:30 AM
I like to write anywhere inspiration strikes me. I always carry a notebook and pen around, just in case!

kej115
03-13-2014, 04:43 AM
I like to write at home, on my desk in my room. I can just close the door and get lost in whatever I'm working on!

Gringa
03-13-2014, 05:08 AM
outside on a chaise lounge or inside on cushy chair with feet on coffee table