PDA

View Full Version : Did you eat too much holiday food?

Vito
01-02-2014, 06:05 PM
For me, it was Lay's Potato Chips. I'm categorizing them as a holiday treat this year because someone left two big unopened 10 oz. bags of the stuff in my kitchen cabinet after last week's family gathering.

I hardly ever go overboard on snacks, but I ended up eating every last potato chip and potato crumb over the past few days. It's like the old Lay's TV commercial tagline: "No one can eat just one." That's why I polished off both bags all by myself.

The downside is that potato chips are extremely fattening and my waistline is quickly expanding at an alarming speed. Just a few minutes ago one of the buttons on my button-fly Levi's broke off and shot across the room like a bullet. (Seriously, it really happened!)

Kylabelle
01-02-2014, 06:09 PM
Did you aim?

Vito
01-02-2014, 06:22 PM
Did you aim?

It all happened so fast, I didn't have time to choose a target. Next time, though...

Shadow_Ferret
01-02-2014, 06:27 PM
I don't usually overeat during the holidays. Thanksgiving I rarely have more than one normal sized plate. Sometimes I might eat more Christmas cookies than I should, but we didn't have time to make any this year.

That said, I underwent shoulder surgery on December 17th and since I'm laid up, I've had a hankerin' for peanut M&Ms. I'm on my third 2.6 pound bag.

Kylabelle
01-02-2014, 06:53 PM
I live in a house with someone who is a junk food addict, so for some reason my response has been to make pies and cookies and stuff, because if I have good treats around (made by me with ingredients I trust) I am way less tempted to munch on something full of HFCS and food coloring.

I'm amazed I still fit into all my clothes.

Also, my sister bought an extra five pound bag of potatoes, forgetting she'd already bought one the day before. So, in order not to let them rot, I made a potato casserole with stuff like sour cream and cream cheese in it. That got scarfed up real fast, I barely got my share!

So next I made scalloped potatoes. That got scarfed up even faster.

It's hard to overeat around here, with all the competition.

:ROFL:

stormie
01-02-2014, 07:07 PM
Family and friends know I love chocolate. Unfortunately I couldn't resist the call of the candies and cookies that were smothered in deep dark chocolate.

My jeans are now on high alert for tearing at the seams.

But unlike Vito, no buttons popped (yet) and soared across the room.

Kylabelle
01-02-2014, 07:09 PM
But unlike Vito, no buttons popped (yet) and soared across the room.

I think he should try for another. It could become the new twerking.

sassandgroove
01-02-2014, 07:11 PM
Kylabelle, may i have the recipe to your scallopped potatoes?

Oh my we've had a lot of holiday food. Considering I've been off work since Dec. 16, I think I've done ok. I haven't had pancakes everyday, or stuff like that. Normal toast and egg breakfast most days. but becuase of a combination of "i see food as love" and our lack of funds this year, I baked christmas gifts, which meant lots of cookies and breads around the house, and pies. mmm pie. we still have a lot of xmas goodies waiting to be consumed. I fear I will never lose weight.

Kylabelle
01-02-2014, 07:12 PM
Kylabelle, may i have the recipe to your scallopped potatoes?

Sure. I just got it off the internet, but it was really good. I'll PM the link?

Vito
01-02-2014, 07:21 PM
I think he should try for another. It could become the new twerking.

Yes indeed! Next time it happens, I'll shoot some live video and put it on YouTube. Then the video will go "viral" or whatever it's called and the kids will start doing it and then I'll be a superstar!

So it's back to the supermarket for more Lay's Potato Chips, and maybe some Cheetos and deep-fried pork rinds, just to make sure... ;)

regdog
01-02-2014, 08:14 PM
Stuffed mushrooms

Lavern08
01-02-2014, 08:18 PM
Two words:

Rum cake :e2paperba

Kylabelle
01-02-2014, 08:20 PM
Recipes, recipes!

Stuffed mushrooms and rum cake, sounds like a meal. :D

ZachJPayne
01-02-2014, 08:25 PM
In the name of the quill, the ink, and the holy cooler, my last confession was several years ago.

I confess to polishing off the last of the soda (several bottles, over the course of a week and a half or so). I also confess to purchasing 42 ounce bags of peanut M&Ms and Starbursts.

That's actually not a bad year for me. :D And now, I'm off to the gym for my penance.

Kylabelle
01-02-2014, 08:31 PM
I know nothing of this "gym" you speak of.

:D

Exercise, for me, is walking two big rambunctious galumphing dogs every day, and then some days (like today probably) going back out and walking up to the stores and back. Often I come back with a bag of Hershey's Kisses or something but that's because the meanies put a Family Dollar store right there next to the grocery store.

Tsk.

Anyway, my next act of culinary excess is probably going to be in the shape of some kind of pie or other. Not today though.

Yasaibatake
01-02-2014, 08:33 PM
Oh, yes. Overeating is a year-round bad habit of mine, but the holidays mean one thing: Christmas cookies. Seriously, batch after batch after batch of cookies. Between me, my mom, and my boyfriend's mom, I have four gallon sized Ziploc bags stuffed full of cookies on my kitchen counters, and both moms still have enough to cover their respective dining room tables. Everything from regular chocolate chip cookies to eggnog-filled florentines, I have some.

Now...who wants some nice salad for lunch?

Kylabelle
01-02-2014, 08:35 PM
I'm moving in. I can help with the extra cookies!

Lavern08
01-02-2014, 08:39 PM
Now...who wants some nice salad for lunch?

I know, right? :D

Maryn
01-02-2014, 08:43 PM
I overate nearly every day. I'd start off being pretty good, but by evening, I blew it, day after day, as long as we had houseguests, which was nine days. We cooked favorite family meals, which are no longer what I eat on a typical day, baked desserts, drank a lot of wine (which inhibits my "you don't have to eat that" instinct), and had candy in dishes placed everywhere a human might sit.

The only good thing I did was this morning: I sent a bunch of Twix, Kisses, Hugs, Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, and other singly-wrapped candies to work with Mr. Maryn, who will abandon them in the break room. I'd rather waste ten bucks than gain ten pounds, you know?

Maryn, who cannot afford the gain

Lavern08
01-02-2014, 08:48 PM
... I sent a bunch of Twix, Kisses, Hugs, Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, and other singly-wrapped candies to work with Mr. Maryn, who will abandon them in the break room.

Smooth move, Girlfriend, smooth move! ;)

Snowstorm
01-02-2014, 09:06 PM
After a family-urgent travel trip and the holidays ... um ... no. I didn't overeat at all.

*loosens belt to the next hole*

Pushingfordream
01-02-2014, 09:31 PM
One night we had Chinese food. I eat some much I slept for next 10 hours.

Putputt
01-02-2014, 09:38 PM
For me, it was Lay's Potato Chips. I'm categorizing them as a holiday treat this year because someone left two big unopened 10 oz. bags of the stuff in my kitchen cabinet after last week's family gathering.

I hardly ever go overboard on snacks, but I ended up eating every last potato chip and potato crumb over the past few days. It's like the old Lay's TV commercial tagline: "No one can eat just one." That's why I polished off both bags all by myself.

The downside is that potato chips are extremely fattening and my waistline is quickly expanding at an alarming speed. Just a few minutes ago one of the buttons on my button-fly Levi's broke off and shot across the room like a bullet. (Seriously, it really happened!)

:roll:

*pokes Vito's tummy*

My holiday vice was chocolate. We got boxes upon boxes of it. They weren't even all that amazing, but I couldn't stop eating them. No exploding jeans though, because yoga pants. :D

Vito
01-02-2014, 09:58 PM
Stuffed mushrooms

That sounds like a pretty healthy choice, unless they were stuffed with Twix, Hershey's Kisses, Reese's, rum cake, or...Lay's Potato Chips.

Vito
01-02-2014, 10:01 PM
:roll:

*pokes Vito's tummy*

No exploding jeans though, because yoga pants. :D

Yeah, I think I might need to go for the 24-Hour Lounge Pants and Oversized T-Shirt game plan if I keep up the potato chips diet.

Kylabelle
01-02-2014, 10:27 PM
I don't believe in wastebands.

Ona Mission
01-02-2014, 10:28 PM
Just a few minutes ago one of the buttons on my button-fly Levi's broke off and shot across the room like a bullet. (Seriously, it really happened!)

You could have killed a cat. Seriously, you should come with your own warning label.

Little weakness here. Just a teensy issue...

Bailey's filled chocolate.

Well, and cookies. But mainly the Bailey's stuff. Too yum.

Oh, and hub keeps bringing me home eggnog, which is totally not my fault! Trick: I add it to coffee, which negates all calories. 'Cuz I said so.

Chase
01-02-2014, 10:36 PM
Oh, yeah . . . and waaaay too much eggnog.

jjdebenedictis
01-02-2014, 10:38 PM
I was on antibiotics that made me a bit queasy this year, so for once I didn't gorge myself on very much yummy stuff. Uh...yay? (Stupid cough, grr; ah wants ma gravy and mashed taters, demmit.)

There was one year, however, when it dumped snow on us and got stupendously cold outside, such that the city was half-paralyzed for the entire holiday season. My family had also sent us outrageous quantities of chocolate for some reason.

Since we couldn't really go out, El Husbando and I just slothed around in our bathrobes and ate candy for close to two weeks. The first time I had to fasten pants around myself again engendered a bit of an unpleasant surprise.

Putputt
01-02-2014, 10:59 PM
Oh, and hub keeps bringing me home eggnog, which is totally not my fault! Trick: I add it to coffee, which negates all calories. 'Cuz I said so.

Oh, yeah . . . and waaaay too much eggnog.

Omguhhhhh egg nog. I used to go through two cartons a week when I lived in Cali. But they don't really sell them here in England, so I'm not as tubby as I could be.

*phew*

I was on antibiotics that made me a bit queasy this year, so for once I didn't gorge myself on very much yummy stuff. Uh...yay? (Stupid cough, grr; ah wants ma gravy and mashed taters, demmit.)

There was one year, however, when it dumped snow on us and got stupendously cold outside, such that the city was half-paralyzed for the entire holiday season. My family had also sent us outrageous quantities of chocolate for some reason.

Since we couldn't really go out, El Husbando and I just slothed around in our bathrobes and ate candy for close to two weeks. The first time I had to fasten pants around myself again engendered a bit of an unpleasant surprise.

Aww. Sorry you're not feeling well this holiday season. :Hug2:

Maryn
01-02-2014, 11:18 PM
I regret to inform you all that CallaLily makes from-scratch eggnog and shared the recipe. Damn, that stuff's good! But I won't share it here. That would be mean.

Maryn, literally wearing yoga pants--and eating a salad

Kylabelle
01-02-2014, 11:21 PM
I made eggnog one year. It was killer good, and I vowed never to make it again.

stormie
01-02-2014, 11:57 PM
Ya know, just reading this thread makes me want
to shuffle off downstairs, warm up some whole milk
in a supersize mug, dump some cocoa in, add a candy
cane or two, and settle in for a long winter's nap.

Maybe I'll add some of my Rumpleminz peppermint schnapps
to the cocoa. For extra flavor.

:drool

sassandgroove
01-03-2014, 12:44 AM
Kyla, I feel that way about my dad's home made cheese cake. He even makes the graham crackers to make the graham cracker crust. I have gotten the reciped from him but I know it is so damn good I haven't made it.

LJD
01-03-2014, 12:45 AM
Did I eat too much holiday food?
You mean...Am I eating too much holiday food?

The amount of cookies, fruitcake, and chocolate we received is such that it would have been impossible to eat it all by New Year's.

Vito
01-03-2014, 02:11 AM
Funny thing is, I've never tried eggnog. Come to think of it, I've never tried Irish Coffee. Maybe I'll put 'em on my New Years Resolution list.

Stlight
01-03-2014, 07:14 AM
Yoga pants are a fashion statement.

and a good one symbolizing health, happiness, and, and, and good stuff.

sassandgroove
01-03-2014, 07:46 AM
I just ate too many cookies. Here's my working theory:
I'm doing my future self a favor by getting rid of the cookies.
Yeah I know, not the best theory.

CobaltRose96
01-03-2014, 02:13 PM

I feel your pain. I was lucky enough to spend Christmas Eve and Christmas morning in hospital, hooked up to an IV to treat a raging kidney infection. So far, the only thing Iíve gorged on is cranberry juice (which is delish, by the way).

Get well soon! :) Being ill during the holidays just blows, donít it?

Ken
01-03-2014, 07:48 PM
... "Man shalt not live by bread alone, but by every word of G*d." – Mathew 4:4

So in a sense I did overeat this holiday last. Reading the bible from sun-up to sun-down and attending service of course ! (Even had a talk with the minister afterwards. Complimented him on the sermon. "Fine. Really, really fine. Inspired even!" Humble, he shook his head and extracted a slip of paper from his pocket. "Just good notes."

Indeed ! :-)

Alpha Echo
01-03-2014, 08:13 PM
I

The only good thing I did was this morning: I sent a bunch of Twix, Kisses, Hugs, Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, and other singly-wrapped candies to work with Mr. Maryn, who will abandon them in the break room. I'd rather waste ten bucks than gain ten pounds, you know?

I end up taking a lot of food to work to get rid of it. The vultures here will eat anything and everything, thank goodness. I just took while chocolate covered oreos my neighbor made us to work today.

I just ate too many cookies. Here's my working theory:
I'm doing my future self a favor by getting rid of the cookies.
Yeah I know, not the best theory.

Maybe not, but I like it. Very creative. :)

I didn't really overeat anything, but I definitely over-drank my wine. I don't plan to stop until after this weekend. :D

stormie
01-03-2014, 10:43 PM
Well today I was outside shoveling eight inches of snow off the driveway along with snow drifts that were up to my knees. What did I do when I came back in? Dove right in to the leftover Christmas cookies and a box of dark chocolate truffles.

Hey, I worked hard for that!

Alpha Echo
01-03-2014, 10:52 PM
I finally got rid of all of the chocolate-covered Oreos. I believe that was the last of the Christmas candy/cookies/cake/sugar-filled stuff.

Anyone want some leftover Halloween candy? Our daughter doesn't eat much at all, not even junk food. Even when we give her carte blanche to go all out, she'll have a piece or two. My husband will binge on some if he's having one of his blood-sugar issues, but we still have soooo much left!!!

Vito
01-04-2014, 12:20 AM
The vultures here will eat anything and everything, thank goodness.
:ROFL:

jjdebenedictis
01-04-2014, 03:05 AM
I end up taking a lot of food to work to get rid of it. The vultures here will eat anything and everything, thank goodness. Reminds me of grad school. Offering food to students is like flinging it in front of a black hole. Sluuuuuuuuuurrrp.

Ken
01-04-2014, 04:31 AM
Our daughter doesn't eat much at all, not even junk food. Even when we give her carte blanche to go all out, she'll have a piece or two.

... result of a happy home, my guess ;-)

Reminds me of grad school. Offering food to students is like flinging it in front of a black hole. Sluuuuuuuuuurrrp.

Food fight ! :-)

Keythsea
01-05-2014, 11:59 PM
I did not eat too much holiday food.

I ate too much food in general.

MaryMumsy
01-06-2014, 01:09 AM
I regret to inform you all that CallaLily makes from-scratch eggnog and shared the recipe. Damn, that stuff's good! But I won't share it here. That would be mean.

Maryn, literally wearing yoga pants--and eating a
salad

Is that the recipe that starts off: get two half gallons of premium vanilla ice cream and let them melt in your punchbowl?

I have that recipe somewhere in this house, and it is the only egg nog I ever had that I liked. Has an amazing amount of booze in it too.

I didn't eat too much holiday food, only because there wasn't any.

MM

Undercover
01-06-2014, 02:32 AM
I did not eat too much holiday food.

I ate too much food in general.

Same here and still doing it. It's a goal of mine.

Stlight
01-07-2014, 06:30 AM
^^
It's good to have goals.