PDA

View Full Version : Best Ebook Publishers in 2013 Hachette, Penguin Random House on Top of Publisher Power Rankings

Geo Travis
01-01-2014, 11:38 AM
http://www.digitalbookworld.com/2013/best-ebook-publishers-in-2013-hachette-penguin-random-house-on-top-of-publisher-power-rankings

Below is a list of publishers who have made the Digital Book World Ebook Best-Seller list in 2013, ranking them by number of appearances.

1 Hachette 258
2 Penguin Random House* 230
3 Random House 146
4 Penguin 102
5 Self-published 99
6 HarperCollins 91
7 Simon & Schuster 72
8 Macmillan 68
9 Amazon 46
10 Scholastic 27
11 Harlequin 21
12 Houghton Mifflin Harcourt 8
13 Hyperion 4
14 (tie) Soho Press 3
14 (tie) Workman 3
16 (tie) Abrams 2
16 (tie) Fido Publishing 2
16 (tie) Gossamer Publishing 2
16 (tie) Kensington Books 2
16 (tie) Open Road Media 2
21 (tie) Bell Bridge Books 1
21 (tie) Covenant Communications 1
21 (tie) Entangled Publishing 1
21 (tie) ORLY Press 1
21 (tie) Sourcebooks 1
21 (tie) Spencer Hill Press 1
21 (tie) The Indie Voice 1

Total appearances by counting the above: 1195

Digital Book World Ebook Best-Seller lists the top 25 best selling ebooks weekly. That's too bad for the #26 best selling ebook.

gothicangel
01-01-2014, 12:55 PM
Nothing surprising there, with the big names dominating as was predicted.

Buffysquirrel
01-01-2014, 05:52 PM
There wouldn't be a lot of point in the big however-many-it-is if they couldn't top the rankings.

Captcha
01-01-2014, 05:56 PM
Self-published is up there. Of course, there were a hell of a lot of SP titles last year.

I wonder if the Harlequin is Harlequin proper, or Carina, or a blend of the two? Does anyone know if Carina's had best-sellers?

K.B. Parker
01-02-2014, 10:05 AM
Self-published is up there. Of course, there were a hell of a lot of SP titles last year.

I wonder if the Harlequin is Harlequin proper, or Carina, or a blend of the two? Does anyone know if Carina's had best-sellers?

I read on their site (or blog) about a month ago that they had a national bestseller. I don't know the number or the title off the top of my head.

gingerwoman
01-03-2014, 05:45 AM

I know Shannon Stacey (http://carinapress.com/blog/tag/shannon-stacey/www.shannonstacey.com) hit the NYT best seller list and I know one M/M romance is a best seller on Amazon right now.

alexaherself
01-04-2014, 04:09 PM
Who else is surprised that "self-published" comes higher than HarperCollins (and so many others) on that list?

I know, I know ... it's not exactly comparing like with like ... :o

jjdebenedictis
01-04-2014, 09:16 PM
Who else is surprised that "self-published" comes higher than HarperCollins (and so many others) on that list?I assume "self-published" is 99 different people, right? Yes, a lot of grains of sand can weigh the same as a larger rock. And no, I'm not surprised there are great self-published books that sold well.

(And wow, the sock puppet definitely had a favorite topic, eh? Edit: Er, I guess that fact's not so apparent since the other thread got deleted...)

alexaherself
01-04-2014, 09:26 PM
I assume "self-published" is 99 different people, right?

I was thinking maybe about 97 people, allowing for a couple possibly to have two each? But yes, different people, hence not altogether comparing like with like (you can't, really, if you're including "self-published"?).

wow, the sock puppet definitely had a favorite topic, eh?

Wow - isn't 2 posts/threads rather a small sample-size from which to be drawing such conclusions? http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/fragend/confused-smiley-013.gif

Old Hack
01-04-2014, 09:35 PM

I'd expect they'd list any from Carina separately, although I can't be sure if they have. Carina and Harlequin are run as separate businesses, aren't they?

Who else is surprised that "self-published" comes higher than HarperCollins (and so many others) on that list?

I know, I know ... it's not exactly comparing like with like ... :o

If the list had been compiled with all trade-published best-sellers added together, and then all self-published best-sellers added together, it would make sense.

As it is, it seems that the people behind the list either don't understand how statistics work, or they were determined to make a specific point no matter what.

Captcha
01-04-2014, 09:37 PM
I'd expect they'd list any from Carina separately, although I can't be sure if they have. Carina and Harlequin are run as separate businesses, aren't they?

Carina royalty cheques come in a Harlequin envelope, so they're not COMPLETELY separate... I don't know quite where the line is drawn.

Pushingfordream
01-04-2014, 11:04 PM
I'm glad so many self-published books are best selling!

Old Hack
01-04-2014, 11:14 PM
I'm glad so many self-published books are best selling!

Why are you specifically glad about self-published books hitting the best-seller lists?

I'll put it another way: what would you conclude if I were to say, "I'm glad so many trade-published books are best selling!"?

alexaherself
01-05-2014, 03:30 AM
(I know you're not asking me but) I suspect that generally people feel, on some level, that the fact that some self-published books undeniably become best-sellers "gives them more chance".

It may sometimes be missing the point that most (clearly not all) self-published books that become best-sellers probably have to be good enough to have been able to find a traditional publisher anyway, had their authors chosen that route instead. But clearly many people feel that (regardless of the extent to which the feeling might actually be a logical one)?

The realities are surely that ...

(i) some types of books ("well-defined sub-genres, popular with Kindle readers, shorter lengths"?) are far better suited to self-publication than others, and ...

(ii) most self-published books actually had no chance at all of being traditionally published and in any case make very few sales indeed?

jjdebenedictis
01-05-2014, 04:06 AM
Wow - isn't 2 posts/threads rather a small sample-size from which to be drawing such conclusions? http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/fragend/confused-smiley-013.gifYou got in there before I edited my post; sorry. :) The sock had started another thread recently, but it is now goooooone.