Best Ebook Publishers in 2013 — Hachette, Penguin Random House on Top of Publisher Power Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geo Travis

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
http://www.digitalbookworld.com/201...ndom-house-on-top-of-publisher-power-rankings

Below is a list of publishers who have made the Digital Book World Ebook Best-Seller list in 2013, ranking them by number of appearances.

1 Hachette 258
2 Penguin Random House* 230
3 Random House 146
4 Penguin 102
5 Self-published 99
6 HarperCollins 91
7 Simon & Schuster 72
8 Macmillan 68
9 Amazon 46
10 Scholastic 27
11 Harlequin 21
12 Houghton Mifflin Harcourt 8
13 Hyperion 4
14 (tie) Soho Press 3
14 (tie) Workman 3
16 (tie) Abrams 2
16 (tie) Fido Publishing 2
16 (tie) Gossamer Publishing 2
16 (tie) Kensington Books 2
16 (tie) Open Road Media 2
21 (tie) Bell Bridge Books 1
21 (tie) Covenant Communications 1
21 (tie) Entangled Publishing 1
21 (tie) ORLY Press 1
21 (tie) Sourcebooks 1
21 (tie) Spencer Hill Press 1
21 (tie) The Indie Voice 1

Total appearances by counting the above: 1195

Digital Book World Ebook Best-Seller lists the top 25 best selling ebooks weekly. That's too bad for the #26 best selling ebook.

Last edited:

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
There wouldn't be a lot of point in the big however-many-it-is if they couldn't top the rankings.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
Self-published is up there. Of course, there were a hell of a lot of SP titles last year.

I wonder if the Harlequin is Harlequin proper, or Carina, or a blend of the two? Does anyone know if Carina's had best-sellers?

K.B. Parker

I've lost my mind
Registered
Reaction score
Self-published is up there. Of course, there were a hell of a lot of SP titles last year.

I wonder if the Harlequin is Harlequin proper, or Carina, or a blend of the two? Does anyone know if Carina's had best-sellers?

I read on their site (or blog) about a month ago that they had a national bestseller. I don't know the number or the title off the top of my head.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score

I know Shannon Stacey hit the NYT best seller list and I know one M/M romance is a best seller on Amazon right now.

alexaherself

Wordsmith and shoechick
Registered
Reaction score
Who else is surprised that "self-published" comes higher than HarperCollins (and so many others) on that list?

I know, I know ... it's not exactly comparing like with like ... :eek:

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Who else is surprised that "self-published" comes higher than HarperCollins (and so many others) on that list?
I assume "self-published" is 99 different people, right? Yes, a lot of grains of sand can weigh the same as a larger rock. And no, I'm not surprised there are great self-published books that sold well.

(And wow, the sock puppet definitely had a favorite topic, eh? Edit: Er, I guess that fact's not so apparent since the other thread got deleted...)

Last edited:

alexaherself

Wordsmith and shoechick
Registered
Reaction score
I assume "self-published" is 99 different people, right?

I was thinking maybe about 97 people, allowing for a couple possibly to have two each? But yes, different people, hence not altogether comparing like with like (you can't, really, if you're including "self-published"?).

wow, the sock puppet definitely had a favorite topic, eh?

Wow - isn't 2 posts/threads rather a small sample-size from which to be drawing such conclusions?
confused-smiley-013.gif

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score

I'd expect they'd list any from Carina separately, although I can't be sure if they have. Carina and Harlequin are run as separate businesses, aren't they?

I know, I know ... it's not exactly comparing like with like ... :eek:

If the list had been compiled with all trade-published best-sellers added together, and then all self-published best-sellers added together, it would make sense.

As it is, it seems that the people behind the list either don't understand how statistics work, or they were determined to make a specific point no matter what.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
I'd expect they'd list any from Carina separately, although I can't be sure if they have. Carina and Harlequin are run as separate businesses, aren't they?

Carina royalty cheques come in a Harlequin envelope, so they're not COMPLETELY separate... I don't know quite where the line is drawn.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad so many self-published books are best selling!

Why are you specifically glad about self-published books hitting the best-seller lists?

I'll put it another way: what would you conclude if I were to say, "I'm glad so many trade-published books are best selling!"?

alexaherself

Wordsmith and shoechick
Registered
Reaction score
(I know you're not asking me but) I suspect that generally people feel, on some level, that the fact that some self-published books undeniably become best-sellers "gives them more chance".

It may sometimes be missing the point that most (clearly not all) self-published books that become best-sellers probably have to be good enough to have been able to find a traditional publisher anyway, had their authors chosen that route instead. But clearly many people feel that (regardless of the extent to which the feeling might actually be a logical one)?

The realities are surely that ...

(i) some types of books ("well-defined sub-genres, popular with Kindle readers, shorter lengths"?) are far better suited to self-publication than others, and ...

(ii) most self-published books actually had no chance at all of being traditionally published and in any case make very few sales indeed?

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Wow - isn't 2 posts/threads rather a small sample-size from which to be drawing such conclusions?
confused-smiley-013.gif
You got in there before I edited my post; sorry. :) The sock had started another thread recently, but it is now goooooone.

Status
Not open for further replies.