PDA

View Full Version : Your first week of the year goals...

atthebeach
12-30-2013, 08:48 AM
Ok, I know that many make New Years "resolutions". But do any of you have a goal for just the first week of the year?

Mine: to write or revise parts of my nf book as many hours as possible before we are all back to school (anyone else teach and find it tricky to fit time in to write while lesson planning?).

With a husband and 3 kids, I have to make time to fit this in during this break, but they are all getting excited to cheer mommy on as she types :)

It was so cute too- my 5th grade daughter was complaining because she had to read for five whole hours over this break. When I told her how I hope to almost/finish my entire book draft this week, her eyes widened. :)

I will of course return to reality when school begins again and I continue to juggle time for writing, but for now, I can focus on family time, and lots of typing typing typing...

If I am not too distracted by, oh, anything else. Even chocolate. But that is a worthwhile distraction, don't you think? Hmmm and a good mystery, and oh... :Headbang: Haha- so what are your first week goals?

ZachJPayne
12-30-2013, 09:43 AM
Get down to the gym.
Get somewhat closer to finishing this book.
Get moved into my new house.
Research more stuff on Grant Writing.

Almondjoy
12-30-2013, 10:15 AM
My goal is just to finish this first draft that I've been working on for such a long time. I have to go back to school after the first week of January, like you, and so, I want to finish this thing while I have the time.

How likely it is, I have no idea, but I'm sure as heck going to try. =)

Serene09
12-30-2013, 04:43 PM
I wish you guys all the best of luck for the new year.

My goal is to start and two new novels next year.
I'd also like to have my short stories finally published by March. That's my short term goal.

Wilde_at_heart
12-30-2013, 06:12 PM
I've taken some time off writing over Christmas and plan to do a straight read-through of one almost-polished novel keeping beside me the various notes/things to look for that various critters, etc. have pointed out to see if any of those things are still problems at all.

Phaeal
12-30-2013, 07:36 PM
Finish the extended outline for Book Three of current series.
Start Book Three with a bang, not a whimper.

:D

DimpDavis
12-30-2013, 08:37 PM
My goal for this week is to continue the revision of my novel.
It will be challenging, because the kids are still out of school. I have a hard time focusing with all the interruptions.
If I can get two chapters revised. I'll be happy.

brunoshouse
12-30-2013, 08:42 PM
develop a realistic writing schedule and work on the revision of my current WIP

Happy New Years to all

wampuscat
12-30-2013, 09:09 PM
My goal is to try to eliminate some of the stresses in my life so that I can focus more of my energy on things I want to do, like writing, instead of dealing with stuff I really don't care about.

Katrina S. Forest
12-30-2013, 10:09 PM
Well, if I want to stay on track with my whole 365 submissions thing, getting out 7 in that first week a would be a good start. (They'll all be short story submissions, I think, but we'll see.)

Gnashchick
12-30-2013, 10:15 PM
Week 1 of January goals:

Revisit a story I wrote in October and polish it up.
Review markets that are open and see which pieces might best fit where.
Finish reading an ARC and review it.
Go through my "ideas" file and see if anything begs for attention.
Locate another book shelf. The situation here is out of hand.
Make more lists. I like lists.

Research more stuff on Grant Writing.

Zach, I'm a grant writer during the daylight hours. Send me a PM and I can give you some resources.

LJD
12-30-2013, 10:34 PM
Finish the edits for the novella I sold.

Pushingfordream
12-30-2013, 10:43 PM
Week one: Get my memoir to 15,000/70,000 done. Write one more blog post.

Siri Kirpal
12-31-2013, 12:35 AM
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Finish the timeline and maybe the outline and maybe the character studies for a family saga that's clamoring to be written.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Pushingfordream
12-31-2013, 12:37 AM
Ok I'm adding 5K to my goal :)
I'm at 10,000/75,000
So my goal is to get to 20,000/75,000

AlexisA
12-31-2013, 05:06 AM
My goal is to formulate a compelling query letter and synopsis. That alone feels like I'm shooting for the moon, LOL.
AA

atthebeach
12-31-2013, 05:32 AM
This is great!!! You are all inspiring me to keep it going... I WILL make every minute count... Just keep saying that :)

I find I accomplish the most when I set both long-term and short-term goals, so I love seeing all of these. Keep it up!

JadeKnight
12-31-2013, 05:35 AM
For this week (and throughout the months of January) mostly outlining my novels and novellas so I can get to writing/working on them. Been a long while since I last sat down and really wrote something due to family, life and health situations that arose. But I'm determined to get a considerable amount of writing gone for 2014.

Mirth
01-01-2014, 12:31 AM
Write at least 500 words every day.

Walk for an hour every day.

And hopefully keep doing these things for the next 358 days. :Guitar:

Happy new year, AW!

Putputt
01-01-2014, 12:38 AM
Heh, nice thread. For some reason, I always forget that weekly goals are so much easier to achieve than yearly goals. :)

My goals for the first week of Jan:
Keep up the word wars frenzy I've been doing with fellow AWers. I've written over 3K a day for the past four days, and it would be purty amazeballs to keep it up until at least the first draft is done.

williemeikle
01-01-2014, 12:39 AM
I've got a novella to finish by the end of the week.

mrsmig
01-01-2014, 12:44 AM
In my "other life," I'd like to survive a week's worth of performances which will include a New Year's Eve gala performance, a Funders' Night gala performance, and a Pride Night gala performance, all with after-parties at which I should at least make a token appearance.

I finally got the juices flowing again on both my NaNo novel and book 3 of my series, so like Mirth above, I'd like to write at least a modest 500 words a day on either of them. (That walk sounds good, too - not sure I can do an hour but I could at least do a brisk 20 minutes.)

I'd also need to schedule a face-to-face with my agent, and it has to happen either this week or next, since I start rehearsing my next show during the day while still performing Show #1 at night. Consequently my free time will be both sparse and unpredictable.

Looking forward to the start of 2014. 2013 wasn't bad at all, but the idea of a fresh start always fills me with happy anticipation.

DragonHeart
01-01-2014, 08:56 PM
My first week goals:

Archive anything that needs to be archived. I make a new writing folder for each year so I'm not constantly looking at my old work. I do port anything currently in progress to the new folder, of course, and set up my new logs to keep track of progress for the year, word counts, submissions, etc. Again, anything in progress gets copied over. This goal is already completed, for my writing at least.

Make a general list of things I would like to accomplish for the year. For me this list includes finishing the 3 stories I carried over from last year, reading every day and non-writer type things including becoming a decent cook by the end of the year and possibly a job change. This list is partly completed.

And my non writing goal--cleaning! Cleaning out, dejunkifying, starting fresh. Last year I managed to cram it all into the week before the new year but due to work and such I've had to spread it out over 2 weeks instead. I'm very much a minimalist so anything that no longer has a purpose in my life is being trashed, donated or sold. Usually I keep on top of this, but once it hits the holiday season any semblance of organization tends to go out the window. The new year is a nice time to sort through it all.

DAMac
01-01-2014, 09:25 PM
Clear the decks of excess baggage. Change all my passwords. Put my draft in the drawer to let it ripen a little and start outlining second in the series.

tatygirl90
01-01-2014, 10:48 PM
My first goal is to finish the first chapter of this novella I just started.

My second goal is to finish up the fifth chapter in the Chloe book.

Anna Spargo-Ryan
01-02-2014, 01:20 AM
Rewrite my ending, before my partner goes back to work on Monday and I have to find a way to entertain my kids for the next four weeks!

lianna williamson
01-02-2014, 07:05 AM
My goal for this week is to write 500 words a day on my second draft. One day down, 6 to go!

Pushingfordream
01-02-2014, 07:06 AM
I'm 2,000 words done with my goal of 10,000 for the week.

Phoebs
01-02-2014, 07:25 AM
I have to return to college in two weeks. I hope to finish Part 1 of my new WIP, and get some BASIC revisions done on my previous novel (it's so rough I've been avoiding it like the plague).

It's been hard to be productive because I'm still recuperating from last semester......... #Excuses

#ExcuseThehHashtag
#AndICallMyselfAWriter
#OkImDoneIswear

Helix
01-02-2014, 07:30 AM
This doesn't sound like much of a goal, but it is for me! I want to establish my writing routine. If I can stick to it for one week, then I can stick to it for two. And if I can stick to it for two...

Eli Hinze
01-02-2014, 07:36 AM
- Editing 15 more pages of novel #1
- Einish editing 10 more pages of novel #3
- Read 1 book
- Finish (or at least get close to finishing) my current short story
- Paint the office
- Eat healthier
- Exercise at least twice this week

What can I say? I love making goal lists. c:

atthebeach
01-04-2014, 11:10 AM
I love reading these goals! How is your first week going?

I have been inspired, holding myself accountable to post here when the week is over. So a status update half way through- I am getting there- over 10,000 words done and more revised in nice form, but lots more left to revise, and also more to write. I press onward- all research is done, so I just need to get this nf draft completed one way or another...
I think I can ..I think I can... whoo whoo ...

LydiaBroderick
01-04-2014, 07:04 PM
My goal for this week is to start line edits and get my WIP sent out to a couple betas :)
Good luck everyone in achieving your goals! Happy New Year!

HobbitTon
01-04-2014, 10:41 PM
My goal is to hit 4000 words this week.

Pushingfordream
01-04-2014, 10:45 PM
done 7,000 of 10,000 words

atthebeach
01-05-2014, 08:41 AM
Done- 20,000 words - wahoo!!! There is still much work to do through next week, so I decided to extend the first week of the year. That's right- I believe it will end next Saturday, the 11th. Any takers? Great!!!

This is because my brain needs a break right now so I am not writing tomorrow- unless I wake up in the middle of the night again and just have to write -am I the only one who does that? I doubt it :)

So the first week of the year goals go on until next Saturday night-because in my fantasy world right now, that is a week into the new year, since school starts Monday, which is sort of like the year starting, so a week of school ends after that so... Oh nevermind. All that matters is that I will finish by next Saturday. And still finish in this first week of the year- because I said so. So there...

Ok, don't hit me too hard with that flyswatter. It's not my usual attitude, but my fingers are stuck in a crinkled position and make me cranky... Time to relax :)

Wishing I was really at the beach, toes in the sand, reading...

mrsmig
01-06-2014, 02:37 AM
At the end of the first week of January, I'm pleased to report that I was able to fulfill some of my goals. I survived the Week of Galas at my show and managed to knock out my 500 words a day (on average - some days I wrote less; some more). I even squeezed in 30 minutes of exercise on three of the days and scheduled that meeting with my agent.

I still didn't get quite as much done as I'd hoped, but it was a promising start to 2014.

Helen St. James
01-06-2014, 04:08 AM
I've had a long-standing tradition concerning not making New Year's Resolutions, but it seems this year that promise might only be one of semantics. After all, while I haven't said, "This year, I resolve to..." about any particular thing, I did manage to wait until just as 2014 rang in to start some rather sweeping changes. For instance...

... completing at least one novella per month.
... getting back into the gym and swimming a mile every day.
... taking some time to explore new directions in talent, such as re-learning how to play the piano.
... and so on.

The first week, however, has me looking at one goal alone: Finish novella number one. After that, we'll see where things go.

Anna Spargo-Ryan
01-06-2014, 04:56 AM
Rewrite my ending, before my partner goes back to work on Monday and I have to find a way to entertain my kids for the next four weeks!

Didn't quite get there :\ Still 2000-odd words to go, I think.

Eli Hinze
01-09-2014, 07:30 AM
1 - Editing 15 more pages of novel #1
2 - Finish editing 10 more pages of novel #3
3 - Read 1 book
4 - Finish (or at least get close to finishing) my current short story
5 - Paint the office
6 - Eat healthier
7 - Exercise at least twice this week

Checking in to update! :)
1 - Fell 6 pages short. Only edited 9. Hasn't been a great week for editing. . . ;.;
2 - Fell 3 pages short. . .
3 - Read 2 books, half way through 2 others
4 - Finished! c:
5 - Office is half-way done, but I'm been sick for days, so who can blame me?
6 - Started actually eating breakfast, (kinda? Eating some fruit, which is better than nothing), and am adding in vegetables and fruits to my diet regularly.
7 - Walked the dogs and worked the horses UwU

Hope the rest of the year goes well for everyone!

Putputt
01-09-2014, 11:48 AM
Heh, nice thread. For some reason, I always forget that weekly goals are so much easier to achieve than yearly goals. :)

My goals for the first week of Jan:
Keep up the word wars frenzy I've been doing with fellow AWers. I've written over 3K a day for the past four days, and it would be purty amazeballs to keep it up until at least the first draft is done.

Update:
I've slowed down to 2.5K a day. But I broke 30K yesterday, approx. 2 weeks after we started! :partyguy:

triceretops
01-09-2014, 12:06 PM
I have a young reader book that I'm waiting on--positive info from my agent--whether it's a sale or not. Waiting on a publisher after I outlined a dozen space topics for non-fiction articles. I've written more client articles in this past week than I have at any other time in a year. Second YA title is still out there on second round subs via agent, and I guess I'm waiting to hear on that too.

tri

ETA--got a raise and promotion in my freelance writing life.

The Scip
01-09-2014, 07:45 PM
I just finished my Master's degree in December. It's been over a year since I have written any thing other than school work with any regularity. I have a novel that I have been thinking about for a very long time but have not had the time to write it. My goal for 2014 is to get the novel finished. It has been sitting in my head for awhile and I feel like I've written fairly quickly because I already know how the story will go.

Siri Kirpal
01-09-2014, 10:48 PM
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Did complete the timeline. Have worked a tad on written character sketches and a lot on mental character formation. Have started writing.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

atthebeach
01-10-2014, 04:54 AM
I love seeing these updates! I have a long writing session planned for tomorrow and Saturday to end my "extended" first week of the year. I am looking forward to it!

This school week has been great, mainly getting ahead with lesson plans, and also creating syllabi for the university teaching that starts again here shortly. But that is why I count the first week through Saturday, so I can do my book writing then, and I will update after that...

Good luck, Tri- hoping for good news!

Eli- wow what a list of accomplishments already! Always good to aim high, but look at all you did do- wow :)

Siri, mrsmig, and PutPutt, what great starts to the new year!!!

Helen- great plan!

Anna- that is still a great start- wow!

Thescip - congrats on your MA, and best wishes on your goals!

atthebeach
01-13-2014, 12:28 AM
Just checking back in since we are well into January now. I made a lot of progress. The draft is not compete yet, but that is because I added a chapter- and it will be better for it.

Hurray to all of you on what you were able to do! Keep up the good work, and have a great year!!! On to my "January" goals now...