PDA

View Full Version : Etiquette and/or overthinking.

Giant Baby
12-30-2013, 06:58 AM
Do authors (first-time or otherwise) typically send their agents a gift when a book* deal is secured? If so, is there anything that's generally well-received/traditional? (Bottle of wine? Pen? Box full of hand-buzzers and whoopee cushions?)

I know it's business, and there's a 15% payday already written in and all of that. But, I'm curious whether others do this... and if it is common, what's been appreciated.

Eternally, etc.,

GB

mccardey
12-30-2013, 07:04 AM
When a book is sold, do you mean? I didn't do that, but on release I sent a bottle of champagne to my copy-editor. Because of ellipses...

ETA: I have taken three attempts to get this answer right. 'cause that's just the kind of guy I am.

Giant Baby
12-30-2013, 07:18 AM
When a book is sold, do you mean? I didn't do that, but on release I sent a bottle of champagne to my copy-editor. Because of ellipses...

Thank you, mccardey! Yes, I mean when a book is sold.

I like the idea of upon release. (Comma issues, you know. The gift tally could rise...) <-- ellipses just for you

mccardey
12-30-2013, 07:23 AM
*gasp*

Thank you! I love those ellipses!!!

(,,,) These are for you. I picked them myself. :Hug2:

Giant Baby
12-30-2013, 07:29 AM
*gasp*

Thank you! I love those ellipses!!!

(,,,) These are for you. I picked them myself. :Hug2:

Oh... Those are NICE! I want to try them on like shoes!! :e2arms:

Siri Kirpal
12-31-2013, 12:42 AM
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Someone else had a thread about that. Once a book is sold, it's fine to give a gift if you want to, but it isn't necessary or expected. What you give should depend on the agent's tastes. (The one agent I stalked while she had my full commented with enthusiasm on a client who gave her macaroons. Said agent declined to offer rep, but with suggestions of where else to look.)

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

DahlELama
12-31-2013, 09:41 AM
All those things are totally at an author's discretion, and may depend on the relationship you have with your agent. I didn't get one for my former agent post-book deal, but I did just get a Christmas gift for my current agent. (Macarons, actually, so I wonder if that was me you saw her tweeting about ;)) Some people send cards, some send more personal gifts, some send nothing at all. It's really whatever you want and feel comfortable with!

quicklime
12-31-2013, 10:58 AM
I'll send Janet something, but only once she sells my stuff so I don't come off as a total kiss-ass.

more an apology/thank you for putting up with my shit.

Chris P
12-31-2013, 11:22 AM
I've heard it's a big no-no to send a gift at querying or submission, but I don't see any problem with sending something when the book is sold or released. I've not gotten there yet, but I imagine it will depend on the relationship you have with your agent.

And folks? Ellipses are supposed to be spaced: . . . not ...

The offense rests, Your Honor.

Old Hack
12-31-2013, 01:20 PM
And folks? Ellipses are supposed to be spaced: . . . not ...

The offense rests, Your Honor.

That's not always the case, Chris. It all depends on a publication's house style.

Cathy C
12-31-2013, 04:55 PM
Do authors (first-time or otherwise) typically send their agents a gift when a book* deal is secured? If so, is there anything that's generally well-received/traditional? (Bottle of wine? Pen? Box full of hand-buzzers and whoopee cushions?)

I know it's business, and there's a 15% payday already written in and all of that. But, I'm curious whether others do this... and if it is common, what's been appreciated.

Eternally, etc.,

GB

I did, but then I send gifts to my agent and editor sometimes for no reason at all. :)

Giant Baby
01-02-2014, 05:35 AM
Thanks, everyone! These are just the sorts of responses I was hoping for. Feeling more comfortable now.

Happy New Year!!

GB