• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

It Helps Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

INTPwriter

Registered
Reaction score
I've been a lurker since I've joined quite some time ago and don't post much. But, I know what it's like to have writer's block and I can relate to how frustrating it can be.

These are just a couple things that really help me get back on track and have actually helped me think of new ideas and twists. Hopefully, they help at least one person.

1. Turn on some music. As creative people, I think having another source of creative influence helps prompt ideas. I usually open another tab in my browser and go to Youtube and search for either "Epic music" or "cyberpunk music". There are a ton of listings that provide hours of "inspiring" music depending on your genre. I normally plug in my earbuds and just listen for a while without thinking of writing. Ideas seem to just come.

2. I get my drink on. Yes, I'm talking about indulging a little in fine spirits. I happen to like Captain Morgan Spiced Rum mixed with Diet Dr. Pepper. I get a bit of a buzz and it helps just to loosen me up a bit and take me away from structure. I think I get too wound up with trying to make things right, that I inhibit my creativity. A little tipsy feeling helps loosen me up a bit.

I know these me seem like odd ways of tackling writer's block, but they honestly do help me a bit.

Just my .02 from a newbie.

Turhan

Someone
Registered
Reaction score
Thanx!

I'm a 'newbie' too and just discovered Captain Morgan's spiced rum recently when a friend brought some over to my house.

I have a question about Youtube, aren't there a lot of commercials going on between songs that would throw off your chain of thought/creativity? Anytime I listen to something on there, there's a commercial between songs that kind of ruins the mood for me.

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
I said this on another thread, too...

Make the writing environment as comfortable as possible. Really. I mean, if you were reading a book or playing a video game, wouldn't the couch be cozy and the pillows at your back set just right? The temp. of the room is good and the food or drinks are handy?

Then you play the crap out of that video games for hours and hours, right? Or read until your eyelids droop.

So do the same for the writing place. Lighting. Food. Music. Make it enticing. Make it so comfortable that once your butt's in the chair, you don't want to leave. If there are external distractions - spouse, kids, parents, friends - leave the phone out in the hall and put headphones on.

I don't usually get writer's block or writer's can't-write-today-syndrome, but when I do, I make sure the writing spot is perfect.

(But not so perfect that I get drowsy and doze off.)

Last edited:

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
Good tip on the music. Sometimes I lose emotional connection with a project; I'm working with it intellectually, but have lost the excitement. Music helps me rediscover the emotional roots that made the idea appeal to me in the first place, and reminds me what I want to communicate to the reader.

And, just enough alcohol helps. Enough to lubricate the ol' brain, but not enough to inebriate. (Though, even when drunk, I tend to retain impeccable typing and grammar skills. When I see one of my old posts on AW, I can't always tell whether I was drunk or sober at the time.)

I'd add: Get out of your own head. This probably means getting out of the house, taking a walk or a drive. Look at the world.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.