PDA

View Full Version : Tagalog/Filipino translation help

slhuang
12-28-2013, 06:54 PM
Hi all! I'm looking for a the way a native speaker would say,

"I believe in your teapot"

the same way a person would say, "I believe in God." (The reference is to Russell's teapot (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell%27s_teapot), if the context is necessary.)

I'm seeking a Tagalog/Filipino translation (or a different Philippine language, but let me know which one you're giving me :)). The character was born in the Philippines and now speaks a large variety of languages; this one might or might not be his mother tongue.

Google Translate eventually gave me, "Mayroon akong pananampalataya sa iyong tsarera" but I'm not sure how close this is (my first few tries back-translated to, "I believe your teapot," which is not what I wanted to say . . .).

Thanks in advance!

ap123
12-28-2013, 08:33 PM
From a friend fluent in Tagalog:

"Naniniwala ako sa tsarera mo"

slhuang
12-28-2013, 08:35 PM
From a friend fluent in Tagalog:

"Naniniwala ako sa tsarera mo"

You are AMAZING.

:Hail:

Thank you SO much!!! And please thank your friend for me and tell him/her that s/he is splendiferous and awesome!!!! :heart: :heart: :heart:

ap123
12-28-2013, 08:40 PM
There are strange, unexpected bonuses and connections that come from being a reefer (reef tank hobbyist). ;)

:ROFL:

slhuang
12-28-2013, 08:44 PM
There are strange, unexpected bonuses and connections that come from being a reefer (reef tank hobbyist). ;)

:ROFL:

Is this, like, building a coral reef in a tank? That sounds AWESOME! :D (And do you have pictures?)

books2thesky
12-28-2013, 08:46 PM
If the person were being deliberately mock-formal or mock-solemn, he might say "Sumasampalataya ako sa iyong tsarera", a twist on the first line of the Tagalog translation of the Apostles' Creed, "I believe in God" = "Sumasampalataya ako sa Diyos". This means "I believe" specifically in the religious sense and is a phrase basically used only in church (i.e. it would be a clearly deliberate play on the Apostles' Creed).

If he isn't being deliberately formal, he might say "Naniniwala ako sa iyong tsarera". This is more colloquial/conversational, and it means "I believe" in a more general sense, but a person might use it to refer to religious belief, e.g. "Naniniwala ako sa Diyos" ("I believe in God").

EDIT:
After seeing the response above -- "Naniniwala ako sa tsarera mo" and "sa iyong tsarera" are equally correct for the conversational version ("tsarera mo" is too colloquial for the formal version though). Also, "naniniwala" was my first instinct as well as ap123's friend's; like I said, "sumasampalataya" is ONLY used in church, so I had to rack my brains a bit to remember how the Apostles' Creed goes in Tagalog. Again, it would really be a deliberate choice on the character's part if he used it.

ap123
12-28-2013, 08:48 PM
Is this, like, building a coral reef in a tank? That sounds AWESOME! :D (And do you have pictures?)

Yes, and yes. Photos on Mrs Fringe ;)

slhuang
12-28-2013, 09:02 PM
If the person were being deliberately mock-formal or mock-solemn, he might say "Sumasampalataya ako sa iyong tsarera", a twist on the first line of the Tagalog translation of the Apostles' Creed, "I believe in God" = "Sumasampalataya ako sa Diyos". This means "I believe" specifically in the religious sense and is a phrase basically used only in church (i.e. it would be a clearly deliberate play on the Apostles' Creed).

If he isn't being deliberately formal, he might say "Naniniwala ako sa iyong tsarera". This is more colloquial/conversational, and it means "I believe" in a more general sense, but a person might use it to refer to religious belief, e.g. "Naniniwala ako sa Diyos" ("I believe in God").

EDIT:
After seeing the response above -- "Naniniwala ako sa tsarera mo" and "sa iyong tsarera" are equally correct for the conversational version ("tsarera mo" is too colloquial for the formal version though). Also, "naniniwala" was my first instinct as well as ap123's friend's; like I said, "sumasampalataya" is ONLY used in church, so I had to rack my brains a bit to remember how the Apostles' Creed goes in Tagalog. Again, it would really be a deliberate choice on the character's part if he used it.

:Jaw:

This is INCREDIBLE. Thank you so so so so much!!!!

I love the twist on the Apostles' Creed! That is actually so perfect for the situation it's not even funny. Omg, you are wonderful! :hooray:

Also, I see you're relatively new around these parts, so :welcome:! AW is a magnificent community. I'm so glad you've joined us! :D