PDA

View Full Version : Best and worse writing events in your life (2013)

Pushingfordream
12-28-2013, 08:34 AM
I was thinking we should all share our writing downfalls and achievements for this year... So best and worse writing edition!

Best:
Published two pieces
Started a literary blog

Worse:
Have written the same book 3 times, still not happy with result.

ZachJPayne
12-28-2013, 08:37 AM
Worst:
Starting at least 6 drafts of this book, and not finishing them.
Stumbling my way toward starting a writer/review blog and not doing much with it.

Best:
Dedicating myself to writing every day. I've written nearly 100,000 words since August 1, having not written a mere 15 days since then, 14 of those during a major depressive funk around my birthday.

Revitalizing my blog and devoting myself to posting more, reading more, and writing more reviews.

Dedicating myself to finishing this draft.

Joining AW.

Leaving an abusive home situation, and moving 800 miles away, getting accepted into a program founded by a NYT best-selling author in my preferred genre, and starting my life over.

Pushingfordream
12-28-2013, 08:39 AM
Worst:
Starting at least 6 drafts of this book, and not finishing them.
Stumbling my way toward starting a writer/review blog and not doing much with it.

Best:
Dedicating myself to writing every day. I've written nearly 100,000 words since August 1, having not written a mere 15 days since then, 14 of those during a major depressive funk around my birthday.

Revitalizing my blog and devoting myself to posting more, reading more, and writing more reviews.

Dedicating myself to finishing this draft.

Joining AW.

Leaving an abusive home situation, and moving 800 miles away, getting accepted into a program founded by a NYT best-selling author in my preferred genre, and starting my life over.

Zach I wish you the best, it sounds like your on a very good path and strong journey. I'm glad your a part of the forums!

JadeKnight
12-28-2013, 09:32 AM
Best: I managed to write 203k this year. Does that count? (last year I reached 242k)

Worse:
Went through draft 10 of the same story I've been working on for 8 in a half years and it's crappy.

chompers
12-28-2013, 10:53 AM
Best:
Wrote 32k in one day. And that story made me emotional, which is a big deal, because I'm not a crier.

Worst:
My WIP#1 made me want to stop writing altogether and I took 6 months off from writing before I came back.

blacbird
12-28-2013, 12:52 PM
I don't really have either, for this year: No significant good moments, no significant bad ones. Got some writing done, not enough, got standard rejections for everything submitted, no surprise there.

caw

writingale
12-28-2013, 06:51 PM
BEST
Winning a writing residency in Spain
Taking a plotting class at SavvyAuthors.com
Finishing a chapter book

WORST
Not able to go on that writing residency because of family issues
Not finishing (even half-way) the other 2 MG & YA manuscripts I had wanted to
Losing the will to write (or even focus) during those months my mother was sick with lung tumour - thank goodness it was temporary (and my mom got better )

R

williemeikle
12-28-2013, 07:01 PM
Best

Getting a charity cancer anthology together with some big horror names and actually getting money to the charity
Getting stories published in NATURE Futures and Starburst Magazine
Getting an illustrated hardcover collection of my Sherlock Holmes stories published by Dark Renaissance and it selling out.
My latest horror novel THE HOLE selling well.

Worst

Losing 6 months of ebook royalties on a dozen books when a publisher collapsed. ( He died and his estate was wrapped up without paying creditors.)
My latest fantasy western THE RAVINE sinking without trace and without even a single review on Amazon

Pushingfordream
12-28-2013, 11:09 PM
Best:
Wrote 32k in one day. And that story made me emotional, which is a big deal, because I'm not a crier.

Worst:
My WIP#1 made me want to stop writing altogether and I took 6 months off from writing before I came back.

32K in one day is amazing!

Siri Kirpal
12-28-2013, 11:18 PM
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Worst: Not much writing done

Best: Completed editing my memoir
Did lots of beta reading
ETA: A book I wrote a chapter for was accepted for publication

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Pushingfordream
12-28-2013, 11:30 PM
Best: I managed to write 203k this year. Does that count? (last year I reached 242k)

Worse:
Went through draft 10 of the same story I've been working on for 8 in a half years and it's crappy.

203K almost double what I wrote, so your doing pretty good. :)

Gnashchick
12-29-2013, 12:36 AM
Best: Had a piece of flash fiction accepted into a small-press anthology 4 hours after I submitted it.

Worst: Had a poem vanish into a black hole. Even queries to the editors as to its status have gone unanswered.

LJD
12-29-2013, 06:22 PM
BEST
I made my first sale! Sold a romance novella to an epub.

WORST
Querying my women's fiction novel is not going very well.
I write soooo slowly....

Putputt
12-29-2013, 06:49 PM
Best: Got an agent and went on sub (still waiting!).

Worst: Did not write and finish a new book. :( I have no idea where the year went.

Supergirlofnc
12-29-2013, 07:17 PM
Best: Signing with a wonderful agent who sold my book as a three book series to a major publisher! (I'll forever be in shock!)

Worst: Went to a conference where everything went wrong! Had a valet offer to 'fix' my hair for me on my way inside. Got a cold shoulder from one person and unsure why. Was asked if I'd accidentally walked away with a new friend's lucky charm. (I hadn't, and I helped find it where it had been dropped, but worried about it anyway because owner was such a nice individual!) Had an allergic reaction and my eye swelled up.

It was actually a really cool conference, and most of the people were wonderful. But things like that can be hard for me, and it shook my confidence some.

Pushingfordream
12-29-2013, 09:20 PM
Best: Signing with a wonderful agent who sold my book as a three book series to a major publisher! (I'll forever be in shock!)

That's absolutely amazing! Congrats!

Author CJ Black
12-29-2013, 09:26 PM
Best: Finishing my 95K fantasy romance.

Worst: Suddenly dropping off the writing map and seeing very few sales.
Haven't gotten an agent yet for the 95K fantasy romance.

Siri Kirpal
12-29-2013, 10:57 PM
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Congrats to everyone on the best moments!

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Putputt
12-30-2013, 12:12 AM

Worst: Went to a conference where everything went wrong! Had a valet offer to 'fix' my hair for me on my way inside. Got a cold shoulder from one person and unsure why. Was asked if I'd accidentally walked away with a new friend's lucky charm. (I hadn't, and I helped find it where it had been dropped, but worried about it anyway because owner was such a nice individual!) Had an allergic reaction and my eye swelled up.

It was actually a really cool conference, and most of the people were wonderful. But things like that can be hard for me, and it shook my confidence some.

How amazing!! The agent and book deal, not the snubbing at the conference. :)

beckethm
12-30-2013, 12:42 AM
BEST
Getting my first short story published.
Making the finals in one short story contest and earning an honorable mention in another.

WORST
Trunking the novel I'd been working on for three years.

But the worst turned out to be a huge positive, because it freed me to work on better and better stuff.

Congratulations to everyone else on your accomplishments in 2013!

Pushingfordream
12-30-2013, 02:34 AM
BEST
Getting my first short story published.
Making the finals in one short story contest and earning an honorable mention in another.

WORST
Trunking the novel I'd been working on for three years.

But the worst turned out to be a huge positive, because it freed me to work on better and better stuff.

Congratulations to everyone else on your accomplishments in 2013!

I got a short story for the first time published to! Cheers to us!

Motley
12-30-2013, 03:04 AM
Best: having the guts to submit 3 things and having 1 accepted.

Worst: losing about 3 months of writing and organizing when my computer died. (I now have daily backups to 2 places.)

A rather blah year for writing. 2014 will be better.

J.S.F.
12-30-2013, 03:07 AM
Worst had nothing to do with rejections. Found out I had high blood pressure which almost caused a stroke. I'll live...good news for all you AW'ers!

Seriously, check your BP. It can happen to anyone and they don't call it the 'silent killer' for nothing.

Also got rejected a couple of times and one publisher I never heard from again, which made me rage and then I forgot about it. It's over.

Best thing: Got published (digitally) with Death Bytes and signed two contracts for Lindsay versus the Marauders and its sequel, Lindsay, Jo, and the Tree of Forever. Twisted was also done this year, and all three should be ready between March and November next year although I'm not sure about the sequel to the first Lindsay novel. Maybe November or maybe early in 2015.

As well, may get Master Fantastic published, but I have a big rewrite on it which I'm doing now. Best of luck--and health--to everyone!

triceretops
12-30-2013, 04:06 AM
Best--attending the BEA two years in a row for two non-fiction books, sporting an author's badge--25 years ago--dozens of TV, radio and magazine spots--lime light galore. Most recently, taking a grand prize win in a novel writing contest (never won anything in my life). Selling the hell out of four books for a total 14 contract offers (plus three agent offers) and rejecting every damn one of them except for the highest advance bidder and best A-list agent. Total win-win all around

Worst--having not written a new book in two year (unheard of for me), and getting half way through a SF sequel and then dropping it like a stone. The most non-productive few years I've ever experienced. Having Demand Media Studios damn near fold, dry up and disappear from the freelance world. I pulled in $20,000 in one year while I was with them in their heyday. I still belong to the site but it's floundering and near complete collapse. I'm now with a lower paying client writing site, Texbroker, and typically making only $70 a week.

Anna Spargo-Ryan
12-30-2013, 04:15 AM
Best: Finished my first draft. Published lots of creative non-fiction. Invited to present a panel at a writing festival in 2014.

Worst: Fear that the writing in this draft is unsalvageable.

It was a pretty good writing year, which is lucky because in other ways it was a shocker.

Phaeal
12-30-2013, 07:18 PM
Worst: The editor who acquired my series left the house unexpectedly.

Best: Another editor at the house was already interested in the series and has proven to be, once again, just the eyes the first book needed.

Eli Hinze
01-03-2014, 08:52 PM

Aaaah! That's absolutely amazing!!! A huge congratulations! :D

Eli Hinze
01-03-2014, 08:54 PM
Worst:
Having to admit one of my (already available) books needed to be redone. (Though I suppose this is a blessing in disguise. Just sucks to realize it's not as good as I'd hoped.)

Best:
Self publishing my second book
Finishing the draft of my third book

Twinkie
01-07-2014, 07:17 AM
Congrats to everyone on the best stuff!

Worst: My critique group hates the main character in my WIP. After querying six agents (and receiving six rejections), I realized my 5-book YA series really needed to be 3 books, and the last one would have to be started over from scratch.

Best: I won a local essay contest and was published in the paper. Turning the 5 books into 3 turned out to be an easy fix (except I still have to rewrite the last one, but that prospect is not so terrifying now). I am SO PROUD OF and SO IN LOVE WITH my current work-in-progress.

Recklezz
01-10-2014, 12:11 AM
Worst.. has to be working for almost a full day, forgetting to save and then accedently closing Word and losing EVERYTHING :(

Best, finishing up my book =)