Resources for Islamic practical medicine of the middle ages?

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
For a Fantasy novel I have kept this essay close-by, as I'm basing the medical practise of the order which gives the MC a place to stay on medieval Islamic medicine.

http://www.webmedcentral.com/wmcpdf/Article_WMC003549.pdf

As I understand it, Islamic medicine of the time were far, far ahead of European medicine, particularly when it came to hygiene and techniques.

In fact, modern European medicine comes in part or in whole from the Islamic tradition after the interactions and the reconquista of the Iberian peninsula when much of the literature of Galen and Avicenna came into the hands of the Christian Iberians.

But what I haven't been able to find, at least not in English, is a description of the practicalities of Islamic medicine. Like, how did they treat wounds? What were their pre- and after-care like?

Do I have to read Avicenna myself, or is there a resource you know of that in a simple drool-proof language could describe these things?

Thank you!

Last edited:

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
My understanding is that the Romans were fairly well advanced in medicine, which they learned from the greeks and Egyptians, long before Islam came along.

But yes, I have to agree that Medicine in the Middle East was more advanced than in most of Europe...

TheNighSwan

Banned
Reaction score
Europeans in the middle ages weren't particularly unhygienic, they bathed pretty often; this changed mostly with the transition to the Renaissance, were bathing came to be seen as unhealthy, and not actually without reason: from the 14th century onward to the 18th century, pandemics of bubonic plague struck Europe regularly and repeatedly (Venice saw something like 22 plague outbreaks over the course of less than two centuries); and it so happens that bathing can worsen the symptoms of bubonic plague, and is therefore counter-indicated.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
Thanks all. :)

Europeans in the middle ages weren't particularly unhygienic, they bathed pretty often; this changed mostly with the transition to the Renaissance, were bathing came to be seen as unhealthy, and not actually without reason: from the 14th century onward to the 18th century, pandemics of bubonic plague struck Europe regularly and repeatedly (Venice saw something like 22 plague outbreaks over the course of less than two centuries); and it so happens that bathing can worsen the symptoms of bubonic plague, and is therefore counter-indicated.

I was talking about medical hygiene mostly where the Islamic physicians cleaned wounds and had patients in clean wards. They did invent proper hospitals, after all. Instead of stuffing the wounded in straw filled, lice infested dungeons, and putting cow patties and such on wounds. :)

Deleted member 42

Islamic nations still had hot and cold running water post Romans, and understood how to construct and maintain sewers, for instance.

For an interesting view of the West see Ahmad_ibn_Fadlan and Ahmad_ibn_Rustah.