• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

A Fix For Those Who Are Suffering...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JFitchett92

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all,

I don't usually tread these grounds, but I recently overcame a three month bout of writer's block and thought I would share my antidote.

To summerise in four words: Stephen King's 'On Writing'

This is the book that helped me. It may help you, or it may not, but it wasn't the book that helped really, more the content included.

It started while I was reading Stephen King's 'Misery', which follows the story of an imprisoned author who is forced to write for his number one fan. Around the middle, the MC begins to enjoy the rush of writing again, and goes into detail of what is running through his mind. This helped get the mental cogs going in terms of my own writing, and that's when I started reading On Writing.

The difference with On Writing is that it focusses even more on the workings of a novelist's mind. The in depth detail of his mind (and his explanations on how better to use yours) really helped pull me out of the quicksand of writer's block and also helped improve my writing. It got my blood flowing and rushing and before I knew it my fingers were gliding across the keyboard again.

Just thought I'd throw it out there and hopefully it will help someone break free of the wretched block!

Best of luck!

midazolam

Registered
Reaction score
This is a great suggestion - thanks for sharing. I read ON WRITING years ago, but I think it may be time for another read. It always helps me to gain insight into another writer's process.

I do have to ask about your signature, though - you enjoyed every single book you read this year?? I started about 60 books and finished maybe half of them. Even Stephen King disappointed me this year (attempted to read three of his, 2 were DNF).

It was a tough year in books for me, which may at least partially explain my writer's block.

Anna Spargo-Ryan

Just pokin' about
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.annaspargoryan.com
This is a great suggestion - thanks for sharing. I read ON WRITING years ago, but I think it may be time for another read. It always helps me to gain insight into another writer's process.

I do have to ask about your signature, though - you enjoyed every single book you read this year?? I started about 60 books and finished maybe half of them. Even Stephen King disappointed me this year (attempted to read three of his, 2 were DNF).

It was a tough year in books for me, which may at least partially explain my writer's block.

I wondered this, too! I also finished about half of the books I started this year. Amazing feat to love all of them.

And I love On Writing. It doesn't help me with blockages, but it reminds me what I love about writing.

johnlmonk

Registered
Reaction score
Random seed...

In computer science there's the idea of a "random seed" for randomizers to seem like they are making actual random numbers, which feed the needs of the programmer. Sitting in an empty room with white walls and a keyboard doesn't do it for me when writer's block has taken hold. To combat it, I like to go to Starbucks and write on my laptop on one of the cushy chairs. Seeing different people come in and out, and the music, and refills, etc., does wonders for my internal random seed.

Cheers

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
Meh. On Writing did nothing for me but it was an entertaining read. I have my little toolbox tricks to get me past writer's block. Reading, whether unfortunate or fortunate, is not one of them.

dondomat

Banned
Reaction score
Meh. On Writing did nothing for me but it was an entertaining read. I have my little toolbox tricks to get me past writer's block. Reading, whether unfortunate or fortunate, is not one of them.

Agree on the Meh and the 'but it was entertaining' sentiment. Glad it helped, of course. My little toolbox revolves around reading, big time. Once I find someone whose style, at that very point in time, unleashes me for a while, I begin overflowing.

71writer

Registered
Reaction score
I really enjoyed "On Writing" and learned a great deal from it. Now if I would just apply what I learned. :)

JFitchett92

Registered
Reaction score

I don't know, maybe it was just good choice. A lot of what I read was books I'd seen on the shelves for years but never really picked up. I enjoyed them all, but there is only a handful I'd read again. I was disappointed with a few, one of them being a Stephen King, but I mostly made it to the end of each one. Some I smashed through in a matter of days, others took weeks or even months to finish. It takes a lot for me to put a book down, I'm a very curious person and hate leaving a book unfinished. I have to know what happens, even if I end up hating the ending.

I was distracting myself from my writing mostly so this year I won't be reading as much, but I do intend to try the Song of Ice and Fire novels at some point.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
For some reason, On Writing remains perpetually on my "to read one day" list. Really should pick it up some time!
It's a quick read. Nothing groundbreaking, but it's honest and entertaining. It's good to be reminded that famous writers are in the same boat as us whenever they start a new project, and we all have our own customizable box of tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.