My first novel is ready to query!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaggedEdge

I can do this
Registered
Reaction score
I just had to share my happiness. Last year at this time I was halfway through the rough draft - my first ever - and was puzzling over a big plot twist. It was making me rather grumpy and I remember driving through the snow on New Year's Day thinking, 'well, if nothing else, this time next year, I'll have a finished manuscript.' After a year of writing, finding critique partners, and multiple revisions, that prediction has come true. I thought I was done in August and sent a couple test queries and entered a contest, but then I had second thoughts about its readiness. I've since cut 12,000 words and completely overhauled my query.

So here I am nearing New Year's again. I could keep revising forever, I'm sure, but I'm making it my goal to stop messing with it and start querying in January. After all, I have new projects I can't wait to give my full attention to. :D

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations! I'm really happy for you. I hope to be in the same place sometime next year :)

wampuscat

Recovering adjective addict
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations! And good for you for having the patience to perfect before querying! Best of luck!

Phoebs

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations. That sounds like it was a lot of work. Puzzling over big plot twists is the worst...... Glad you made it through with a result that you're proud of.

RaggedEdge

I can do this
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the kind thoughts, everyone!

I just brought down my word count to 90K after removing another big chunk that really only served as a seed for what would be a sequel. It's funny what you get attached to and are slow to see as extraneous, but I'm slowly getting much better at that!

Almondjoy

Keep moving forward <3
Registered
Reaction score
Yay for learning to cut the things that are extraneous! It's a hard thing to learn, but it's necessary. =)

I wish you the best of luck with your querying! Keep everyone here at AW updated! <3

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations and good luck! :)

ploafman

Registered
Reaction score
Make sure to polish the query and make it short and interesting.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
CGs on finishing! Glad you have new project to tackle -- nothing better than working on the next one while the last one is making its sometimes lengthy rounds.

BMajor

Probably judging you.
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats! Best of luck as you push forward :D

quix689

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.quix689.wordpress.com
Congratulations! That's awesome! I'm so jealous. I have a bunch of finished drafts, but none of them are in the querying stages yet. Although one is really close. Hopefully this time next year I'll be where you are. :)

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Good job! Especially knowing to be patient to make it properly ready! May you get a speedy response. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.