• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Young Adult Historical Fantasy--Betas Wanted (Possible critique partner?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HDHunter

Imagine ...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
hdhunter.wordpress.com
I'm looking for beta readers (and possibly a critique partner) to read over the first few chapters of my WIP Risin' Sun, which I am currently doing a rewrite of. The description is below. Please message me if you're interested! :)

RISIN’ SUN is a young adult fantasy adventure told in the accounts of three participants (one intentional, two unintentional): Lily, a young aristocrat with a penchant for trouble; Liam, her not-so-adventurous brother; and Jasper, a prince from another world with a job to do—until a pair of unassuming siblings and a mysterious harpy woman throw his plans completely off course.

Gabriel “Jasper” Andrew is given very specific instructions: go to Earth, find acceptable child candidates, and bring them back to Trigon where they will be housed in the castle’s dungeon for ‘safe-keeping.’ Ask no questions. Tell no one. Since he’s been successful four times already, he (guardedly) expects just as much ease and perfection when he targets a fifth child. But his task proves a bit more difficult than he anticipates: his new target has a sister—one that Jasper finds himself inexplicably attracted to.

Lily Towell has an issue with authority, which leads her to disregard anything that is considered proper and expected of a young lady in the late 19th century Great Britain. Her preferred pastimes include daydreaming, sleeping during lessons, and making a game of manipulating her younger (and, in her opinion, quite inferior) brother, Liam. But when she meets Jasper, her comfortable life (and by default, her brother’s life) is thrown into turmoil. Without the princely attire he hates, Jasper appears, to her, as nothing more than a ‘homeless’ wanderer who swears he’s from a different dimension: a ‘great square’ of worlds, including Earth, that are connected and collectively called Eonia. Lily passes it off as rubbish; as a proper young lady, she can’t be bothered with some filthy, itinerant boy or his fairytale nonsense.

But after an accidental encounter with Ixchel, a poorly-aged harpy with a saggy stomach and really bad breath, Lily and Liam find themselves in a world far different from their own—one that houses both their wildest dreams and their darkest nightmares, a place home to all of the storybook creatures they thought (or rather, hoped) didn’t exist. As if the trauma of being in a place where humans aren’t at the top of the food chain isn’t enough, Lily and Liam have a bigger problem: Jasper, the red-headed, freckle-faced vagabond, has only been to this world in books, and he’s their only hope of getting home … assuming they can survive long enough for him to remember the way. Throw in a few dragons; Jasper’s unpredictable, newly-afflicted brother, Seth; and a vampyre queen with an agenda of her own, and their chances of making it off of Obscurus alive begin to look unfortunately slim …

Risin’ Sun is a dark fairytale full of magic and mischief, beauties and beasts—and just a touch of nonsense.

WriteRex

Registered
Reaction score
At this point, you only have five posts. Please contribute more to the AbsoluteWrite forum until you have at least 50 posts before asking for beta-readers and critiques. For starters, I would highly recommend that you play word games. They're great post-boosters, and they never cost much effort at all besides a couple of minutes spent on them.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
At this point, you only have five posts. Please contribute more to the AbsoluteWrite forum until you have at least 50 posts before asking for beta-readers and critiques. For starters, I would highly recommend that you play word games. They're great post-boosters, and they never cost much effort at all besides a couple of minutes spent on them.

I don't believe this is correct - anyone is welcome to post in betas.

I may be off but that's afaik.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
I don't believe this is correct - anyone is welcome to post in betas.

I may be off but that's afaik.

It is generally considered acceptable to suggest that someone spend a little more time on the forums, especially critting in the SYW forums, before asking for betas. Give people some time to get to know you, work your way up to 50 posts and post samples in SYW: you'll get more beta offers that way. :)

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
It is generally considered acceptable to suggest that someone spend a little more time on the forums, especially critting in the SYW forums, before asking for betas. Give people some time to get to know you, work your way up to 50 posts and post samples in SYW: you'll get more beta offers that way. :)

That someone would likely get more offers or have more luck looking for a beta or crit partner if he or she participated and spent time, sure.

It was saying that someone needed 50 posts before asking for betas that stopped me - I thought the 50-post rule was only for SYW. Not that encouraging interaction or suggesting someone would be more likely to find a beta with more posts was off, but that there was a requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.