• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Speculative Fiction Short Story Beta Wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com
Hey all. I'm looking for someone to go over my short stories - they tend to be fantasy or science fiction, and around 5-8k. I tend to produce two a month, so I'm looking for a permanent swapping arrangement. I am of course happy to beta someone else's work in return, but only short stories please.

I have specific things I'm looking for:

Description - I tend to be too sparse in my narrative description. It's a known issue, but I really need someone to highlight where the lack of description becomes confusing. I'm not very good at spotting it.

Overall structure/conclusion: Short stories are something I've had to work quite hard at to keep short (previous shorts have mutated into 80K novels), so I need someone who knows a bit about structure to let me know if what I've written feels like it is just a chapter in a longer story, or actually feels like a short story.

In return I can offer:

I'm quite good at characters. I also work well as a first pass beta - pointing out where I was confused by your narrative and why. I tend to point out phrases that throw me out of the story (so some line editing), but I'm not going to be your person for grammar and spelling.

I'm also useful for wounds, what injury can do to the body, recovery times, ect, as I'm currently a student paramedic. I don't know everything there is to know, but I should be somewhat useful.

PM/reply to this message and we can swap a few words and see if we're a good match. If not, we can move on, no hard feelings. If we work out, then I hope to establish a long partnership.

Thank you,

Sian

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.