PDA

View Full Version : What's the first e-book you bought for your kindle?

Channy
12-26-2013, 09:37 PM
One of the downsides I realized when first coming to AW was all these fantabulous stories.... available as e-book only. Sigh. So for a month and a half I've looked on longingly at all these books and pondering about buying a kindle... but I didn't want a kindle. (And sure, I could send it to my computer and read as a pdf but that's not how you read a book! Not unless you're beta'ing it.) Besides, most trade books were close to the same price, some are even more expensive than their paperback editions! And I like the feel of a book, the look of it on my shelf..

But! Not anymore. Boyfriend got me a kindle paperwhite for Christmas. What was the first thing I did?

I searched rapidly for that book. That one book that I saw on my first day on AW almost two years ago, read the blurb of and wanted to read more than any other e-book. I found Sage Collins' (I can't remember her AW screenname >_<) book Love Sucks and downloaded it to the kindle immediately. I can't wait. :D

(A lot of small publisher paperbacks are available as e-book at cheaper rates too, so that was a pleasant surprise. I can save a lot on those whereas the big houses with the same price, I'll probably still buy physical copies).

So what was your first? Was it someone from AW that you wanted so badly to read? Did you wait long for it?

Chris P
12-26-2013, 09:52 PM
I just got my first Kindle for Christmas as well. However, I've been reading books (that I've NOT been betaing ;)) on the laptop for a couple years. I got sick of hauling paper all over the place, especially to Africa! Ebooks weigh nothing. Then, once I got sick of having to sit in one position since the laptop is clunky, I asked Ssebo Claus for a Kindle.

I'm not sure what the first ebook I downloaded was. The first site I went to was www.manybooks.net, which offers hundreds if not thousands of public domain classics, mostly from Guttenberg Project. Therefore my first download might have been War and Peace (my all-time favorite) but just as easily might have been Ulysses, Moby Dick, or one of several obscure titles I happened across on that site.

Once I got my Kindle set up, I finished reading The Beautiful and the Damned by F Scott Fitzgerald, but I am now about halfway through Please Laugh at my Funeral by AW's own Cole McRae (Sorry Cole, I can't remember your AW username!) which he offered as a free download some time back.

zenjenn
12-26-2013, 10:46 PM
My Kindle (I just have a basic one) actually ends up being used for children's fiction more than anything. My kids are voracious readers. Kids have all the time in the world to read, and the books they read are often short! Needless to say, there's almost always a time one of my kids is complaining they have nothing to read, as they are finished with their library picks. So, we use our Amazon Prime membership to find something else.

The first book I downloaded was the first "Books of Elsewhere" book. :)

For myself, I've become an audio book addict. It allows me to 'read' while exercising, driving, doing dishes/laundry, cleaning, etc.

stormie
12-26-2013, 10:56 PM
My husband bought me a Kindle Fire last year. And an Amazon gift card to go with it.

MY first book was one of my all-time favorites: The Cider House Rules by John Irving. I also immedtiately downloaded a free cookbook app called "Chef Tap." Whenever you see a recipe on your Kindle (like on FB or on some site), you click "share" then "Chef Tap," and imports it to your saved recipes in Chef Tap. It'll hold up to 100 recipes for free.

thothguard51
12-26-2013, 11:18 PM
I had Kindle for the PC long before I got my Kindle fire two years ago. Using my Kindle for the PC to download a lot of free SP books taught me not to flood my Kindle PC with free books.

I think the first paid books I down loaded on my kindle were books by AC Crispin, quickly followed by a couple from Victoria Strauss. But the biggest sales for me are a lot of books by Bernard Cornwell, all of his Saxon, Heretic, and Arthurian novels.

Since then, I have bought other books by authors I enjoy and respect for their story telling. I have also bought a few SP books that were recommended to me by people I know, follow, or are members here at AW. I do not trust Goodread reviews or recommendations. I repeat, I DO NOT TRUST GOODREADS...

Snowstorm
12-26-2013, 11:39 PM
My first one to download was Pride and Prejudice.

Deirdre
12-26-2013, 11:58 PM
I don't have a Kindle, and I mostly read in iBooks, but I'm hoping I can play along. :)

What switched me over to reading e-books was the publisher Pragmatic Programmers, who published both in paper and e-book formats. One of the advantages was that you could buy a "beta book," as a book was being written, in e-format. Oh, and after publication? They'll now punt an updated e-book directly into your Dropbox. How cool is that?

That was June 2005.

While I bought 30 or so fiction titles between then and when I truly switched, it wasn't until iBooks came out on the iPad that I was truly sold that this was the way things should be from now on.

Oh, and I read about 300 titles this year. Every one of them an e-book.

mrsmig
12-27-2013, 02:31 AM
I've been reading off my 'Droid phone for a couple of years now, and the first book I downloaded onto it was R.L. Stevenson's Treasure Island. I'd somehow managed to miss it on required reading lists all through school, and since I'd recently gotten a hard copy of Edward Chupak's Silver, I wanted to read the original first. I also downloaded a couple of self-published books by friends of mine, a self-pubbed novel by a fellow AWer, and a small-press publication by another friend.

I finally got my first Kindle about a month ago. My first download on it was an AWer's self-pubbed story collection, which I have yet to finish - I got waylaid by Neil Gaiman's The Ocean At The End of the Lane, which my husband gave to me as an early Christmas gift.

Brightdreamer
12-27-2013, 02:50 AM
The first title I read on my Kindle was Treasure Island, by Robert Louis Stevenson. It was a public domain freebie; I wanted to test the thing without paying money.It was such a thrill, clicking the Buy Now button on my PC and having it show up on my Kindle mere seconds later.

That was two years ago. Since then, I've only paid for maybe three books - the rest were free downloads. If my income level rises, I'd like to buy more.

vagough
12-27-2013, 03:48 PM
My Kindle was also a Christmas gift three years ago. First book downloaded was Charles Dickens's A Christmas Carol, followed soon after by multiple other non-Christmas-themed things. . . .

Ms_Sassypants
12-27-2013, 05:26 PM
If I have a kindle, I would totally buy both of Toby Tate's (popgun something I think is his AW name?) Lilith and Black Church!

But I don't have a kindle... maybe in future!

thothguard51
12-27-2013, 06:21 PM
If I have a kindle, I would totally buy both of Toby Tate's (popgun something I think is his AW name?) Lilith and Black Church!

But I don't have a kindle... maybe in future!

You can get Kindle for the PC. Its free...

Lythande
12-27-2013, 07:09 PM
I use the android app on my tablet and computer (I do have an old Kindle, but it's mostly a paperweight) and like so many others it's mostly loaded with Guttenburg books. The reason I got the app originally though was so that I could buy 'The Wuzzles' and 'The Virgin and the Volcano', the final two short stories I hadn't read about the fairly obscure character I'm named for.

Then for an actual book it was 'Endurance', the Ernest Shackleton story. Love that book.

virtue_summer
12-27-2013, 08:45 PM
I'd read a few ebooks before Christmas using Kindle for PC, including one by an AWer, but I don't really like reading on my computer. Then my brother and his wife got me a Kindle for Christmas. I think my brother wanted his back because I kept stealing it. The first book I bought for my actual Kindle was NOS4A2 by Joe Hill. The second was The Shadowy Horses by Susanna Kearsley. Both are books I've been wanting to read by authors I really like.

ebbrown
12-27-2013, 09:26 PM
Gone With the Wind. It had been years since I'd last read it, so I thought it was a good choice for my first download.
For a long time, I bought the Kindle version and the Print version of everything. Now I reserve the print version for books I want to put on my office bookshelf.
I enjoy my Kindle, but there is something about the scent of an old hardcover book. Looking up at the rows on a floor-to-ceiling bookcase and wondering which one to pull out next...well, that's like a little slice of heaven to me.
So yes, I was happy when Amazon started the Matchbook program. ;)

Keythsea
01-06-2014, 12:10 AM
The first book I got for my Kindle? Wow...I would have to say "The Book Of Five Rings" by Musashi. I got a bunch of public domain stuff first. The first bought book would have to be..."Shocked" by Amy Valenti.

Several hundred of books later...

Wind Ann Wise
01-18-2015, 12:22 AM
The Complete Adventures Of Sherlock Holmes. It's one of the few that will always remain on there. (And I've read it on there several times!)