Homelessness

sadbeautifultragic

Registered
Reaction score
Happy holidays, everyone!

In my current project my MC is a homeless boy (no set age but like 19/early 20s I guess), and much of the story centers around that.

I was homeless for about a month (in California) but I was quite young, and all I really remember is we were in a shelter and my dad and older brother (who was 17) had to be separated from me, my little brother, and my mom, so I guess the shelter was separated by gender unless you were a mom, then you could have your kids with you in this special section? Am I just making things up or is this sort of how it works at some shelters? I can't really speak to any of my family members about that kind of thing so that's why I'm here. If anybody has experience in a shelter or just knows more stuff about it, that would be really helpful to hear, too.

Apart from life in a shelter, I've done a lot of research but there are some more specific questions I have: what are the "best" places to sleep/go during the day? In my city, there is this bridge that halfway overlooks a street and the other half leads down to the levy. There's a spacious area underneath the bridge that unless you've accidentally fallen through the entrance which is pretty hidden, you probably don't know about. It's dirty but pretty spacious and I, 5'2 on a good day, can stand up/walk around in it. An ex boyfriend and I even put blankets down and left them there once and made it like our place, and the blankets/our stuff were never stolen or anything. Would this be a realistic place to sleep if you weren't in a shelter (my MC doesn't get himself to a shelter until around halfway through)? Obviously the weather would make it less desirable being outside and everything, but if worse came to worst.

Also, how difficult is it to get a job while homeless? I'm very young right now and the only job I've ever had my mom did most of the work for me, so I don't even know if most applications require a home address or telephone number or whatever. What are some other ways you can go about getting money? Odd jobs I guess, and do people ever just go door to door asking if people need any work done? I know a girl who did that in 9th grade to raise money for a trip she couldn't afford and ended up finding some work, but I feel like a lot of people would be assholes about it which would make my MC not want to risk it.

Last, how do people generally treat the homeless? I haven't been exposed to many people who don't show a lot of empathy and kindness because I guess I just choose the right friends to have and got lucky with my family, but obviously I know it's out there.

Thank you so much. Anything else anyone has to say is also greatly appreciated. :)

Last edited:

Sirena of Glamis

May be a tyrannical Scottish king
Registered
Reaction score
I think a lot of what you're asking depends on the age and appearance of your MC. People might be more inclined to let a boy of 12-15 mow their lawn for a few bucks than a young man in his 20s. As for getting a job, I think he could probably bluff his way through some of the application process, but if he hasn't showered in a while, or if he's looking like he just came off the streets, it'll be a lot harder from him to get a job. First impressions do matter. He might be able to get the odd job here and there, but if he's starting to look like he hasn't been attending to his personal hygiene, people will be more inclined to turn him away. You know what I mean?

As for how people treat the homeless, they typically ignore them. "Homeless" has become pretty much synonymous with "crook," "crazy," "worthless bum," and most people don't want to even acknowledge people like that exist. I live in a city with a huge homeless population (especially kids in their teens or early twenties) and whenever I see them downtown, people usually walk straight on past them as if they're not even there. Some of them might play guitar for tips, but even then, people just ignore them. It's easier to pretend the problem isn't there than to face it.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Some resources about LA homeless (mind you it's different in different cities) to google:

Jovenes Inc
PATH shelters
My Friend's Place

NY times just did a ridiculously heartbreaking long story on a little girl who is homeless in NYC, which I highly recommend. Shelters are all different--short or long term, family or individual, etc. services for the poor are really stretched to the limit these days--you can't even get on a waiting list for Section 8 housing anymore in LA, food pantries can't keep up with demand, and shelters are full. In small towns the situation might be better?

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Under a bridge is indeed a good place. I used to live in Salem OR and the homeless there basically had the area under the bridge as their turf. The police would check on them to make sure they were okay, but wouldn't turn them out (unless they were breaking the law).

Smart homeless use the public library as a place to hang out during the day. It's dry, has water and restrooms, chairs for reading or napping in, not to mention books and programs. Malls are another good day place.

Some homeless have cardboard signs requesting work. In cities near farms, they sometimes get rides to work as daily helpers with harvests, etc.

Eugene has a community day room with showers and kitchen for homeless and low income folks. It has "warming shelters" for sleeping when the weather goes below freezing.

Salem has the Salvation Army, the Union Mission (which requires church attendance) and the SOS (Salem Outreach Shelter). Both the outreach shelter and the Salvation Army have a rotating system (you can only stay a certain number of days, except in extreme weather). There's also the "hospitality network" with the churches rotating which ones host homeless families.

We know people who have gotten out of homelessness, but not sure how they did it. I think, though, it might have been through a church.

Hope that helps.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh! This morning I was reading an La Times article about a new rule (people without Train tickets can't sit in union Station) because over 100 homeless people were living there nightly and some were hassling travelers. It said that there are 4000 shelter beds in LA and 57000 homeless people--that's shelter for less than 10% of those who need it.