Do agents care if you have an MFA?

lianna williamson

Registered
Reaction score
Apologies if this has been asked and answered before; I couldn't find a thread about it looking 5 pages back, so I decided to go ahead and ask:

Do agents give a crap if you have an MFA in Fiction Writing? I do, and from a respected program, but: a) that was 15 years ago; and, b) the program had/has a heavy LitFic emphasis, and I now write Science Fiction.

Does it come off as irrelevant eyeroll-inducing braggery to mention it, or is it something agents want to know about?

Thanks!

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
It won't hurt to mention it, but the writing that you're handing to them matters most.

Last edited:

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Apologies if this has been asked and answered before; I couldn't find a thread about it looking 5 pages back, so I decided to go ahead and ask:

Do agents give a crap if you have an MFA in Fiction Writing? I do, and from a respected program, but: a) that was 15 years ago; and, b) the program had/has a heavy LitFic emphasis, and I now write Science Fiction.

Does it come off as irrelevant eyeroll-inducing braggery to mention it, or is it something agents want to know about?

Thanks!
I don't think most would roll their eyes at it. I would just include it in your bio with no fan fair. It won't overly impress them but it won't be completely unimpressive either it might make them look twice, if you are lucky.

I put my Masters in English Literature (hons) on anything I submit. I might as well. :Shrug: I put it right next to my placings in erotic romance fiction awards in my bio.

I don't expect anyone to be particularly impressed, but hopefully editors won't sneer it the way many employers do.

They are relevant credentials, but won't help if the manuscript how no market potential.

At best it might make an agent pick it out of the slush hoping it has some potential.

Last edited:

rac

Registered
Reaction score
It can't hurt to mention it, but I would just in passing. As the others have said, it's the writing that counts. A strong opening and good writing will win their attention.