PDA

View Full Version : The hiding from the worthless people for the holidays thread. Aka- family craziness.

Fenika
12-24-2013, 07:17 AM
Well, as if Thanksgiving wasnt bad enough with my screw up sister trying to drink her cirrhosis self into a hospital bed and my mother policing her, now its my drama llama sister's most pathetic time of year.

I dont care so much about the stupid things she says but more how she goes around making everyone miserable and ruining otherwise nice holidays. She wont get help, and my mom thinks shes doing a great job managing issues.

And of course, I refuse to tiptoe around my Older sister anymore, so when she really tries to lay into me I put her right in her place, which upsets my mom. I dont care what my sister says but rather that shes stupid enough to keep trying to one up me. And then she cries to mom, mom is mad at me, and the fun really gets dis fun ctional.

And when I tell my mom Ill gladly spend xmas eve being scarce she flips out because the shitty day must be magical. My uncle already refused to come down. My mom lost it repeatedly over fking cookies yesterday. Yeah. Tis the fking crazy season.

On the bright side I mostly fixed my grandmas heartburn after picking her up and can spend time with her tomorrow before my sister joins us.

Yeshanu
12-24-2013, 07:24 AM
(((Hugs)))

Fenika
12-24-2013, 07:29 AM
What are the hug things with the comforting parenthesis around them? I know not what this is!

;) Thanks.

Yeshanu
12-24-2013, 07:33 AM
A virtual substitute for arms, of course. Here's another depiction:

:Hug2:

Fenika
12-24-2013, 07:34 AM

Fenika
12-24-2013, 06:18 PM
What, no one else?

My mom tried to force the magical happiness upon me before breakfast. Yes, a good lecture is what I needed. Now we can spread some holiday cheer!

So not gonna be around when my sister shows up.

Alpha Echo
12-24-2013, 06:21 PM
Well, I have just stopped visiting my mother. I haven't spoken to her in almost two years. I rarely see her side of the family, so I don't have to deal with the crazy part of my family. :)

**hugs** :)

Fenika
12-24-2013, 06:27 PM
Lucky :)

mirandashell
12-24-2013, 06:34 PM
This may be an insensitive question but..... why are spending time with your mom and sister at such a stressful time? If it was me, I'd go and see my mom afterwards. Sod Christmas.

Fenika
12-24-2013, 06:39 PM
I've been trying to tell my mom that it's too stressful and not fun for days now. When I tell her I won't be around for dinner today, she freaks and demands I be here so she can be 'happy' and we all can be 'happy' (read: miserable and fake).

So yes, Sod Christmas (Eve).

Maryn
12-24-2013, 07:32 PM
This is when you pull up your big girl panties so tight you almost give yourself a wedgie. "Mom," you say, "you know I love you and my sisters, but this much togetherness isn't making anyone happy or celebrating the holiday. Instead, it's making me unhappy and you stressed. So I won't be there until [name a time], and I'll be leaving at [another later time]. I'll do my very best to be pleasant and make this a nice holiday, but know ahead of time that if things get negative like they did at Thanksgiving, I'm going to leave early."

And stick to it. You mom, your sisters, and whoever else is there can marvel at how you're ruining Christmas, but you won't be there to hear it, or absorb their abuse and dysfunction.

Maryn, knowing this is easy for her to say

Kylabelle
12-24-2013, 08:00 PM
^I agree with Maryn here, including the part about how it's easy to say when you're not in the situation directly.

Still, it seems the best course. What a shame. I wish you a happy holiday anyway, somehow, Fenika, and to all who celebrate in the presence of those whose behavior and attitudes make our lives more difficult. :Hug2:

Fenika
12-24-2013, 08:04 PM
Oh, I'm already planning to not be around later. I am already here at mom's, but I'm hiding with my work upstairs :) It's finally peaceful.

Anyone want to hear my presentation on equine acupuncture and chiropractic? :D

(And where are the other sufferers. I'm sure you are out there!)

Kylabelle
12-24-2013, 08:12 PM
Me me me!

I live with my sister and brother-in-law. He is such a piece of work I cannot begin to describe how his attitudes and behavior patterns have soured the holiday here. Fortunately my sister and her three grown kids are wonderful and lovely people and so there is happiness in the spaces where it is allowed to exist. But Mr Grump "only cares about fixing his old cars" bro-in-law is definitely putting a cramp in the seasonal good feelings here.

Fenika, it's one reason why I posted, that I share some similar probs. But honestly right now I am too weary of it to give more details. Anyone who wishes to visit the Coffee Shop can no doubt find the whole story. :D

Glad you've retreated into your own space. Good for you.

Ona Mission
12-24-2013, 08:15 PM
Oh, Fen, we almost share a family.

This is why - well, one of several reasons, but it's a biggie - I moved 650 miles away 9 years ago and haven't seen any of them since.

The first 7 years were pretty easy. Past 2 have gotten a bit sentimental and shit...until I hear the gossip. I hang up 3 hours later grateful for the 650 miles of separation. Every year.

Fenika
12-24-2013, 08:20 PM
:Hug2: to my fellow sufferers (though moving far far away sounds nice, except not all my family is crazy).

Kylabelle
12-24-2013, 08:27 PM
:Hug2: to my fellow sufferers (though moving far far away sounds nice, except not all my family is crazy).

Yeah, well, I moved far away too, for years and years. Some of my family (with whom I later came to much better terms) is no longer around, but I honestly thought my sister was safe! I didn't figure on this new marriage of hers being such a wrench in the works.

*sigh*

jjdebenedictis
12-24-2013, 08:32 PM
I offer the comforting parentheses as well! I hope you and your family find a balance and are all as happy as is humanly possible, given the circumstances today. :)

(((((*hugs*)))))

Little Anonymous Me
12-24-2013, 08:35 PM
Aw, poor Fen. :Hug2: Sorry that you're stuck in your room, but at least you can lock the door and turn up the music. :tongue

I don't have crazy relatives to deal with. My father's side of the family hates my mother and by extension me, and likes to pretend they don't know us. So it is a small but relaxed Christmas in suddenly chilly Florida. :D

Hip-Hop-a-potamus
12-24-2013, 08:44 PM
I'm with ya, Fen. {{insert comforting parentheses here}}

I too have a dysfunctional family (of one). My father and brother have both passed away, but my mother is batshit crazy. I moved to Canada to get away from her (and didn't tell her).

Mothers can be very good at laying on the guilt and giving attitude, but I'm with Maryn. Once you get to a certain age, you can tell them what you will and will not do. If holidays are awful, don't go. If she continues to call you about it, take the phone off the hook. If she comes over to get you, don't answer the door.

Yeah, she and I may see things in black and white, but my mother threatened to shoot me before I moved away. I tend to not put up with family dysfunction anymore. At all.

Maryn
12-24-2013, 08:55 PM
I'm reminded of the many similar tales I'm seeing at AW and elsewhere. Kindred spirits whose families are impossible are abundant this time of year, even if they don't see this thread or choose not to share in just what way their families dysfunction.

I am reminded anew each holiday season how very fortunate I am that my family, both nuclear and extended, is at most selfish and annoying, certainly never worse. Whew! You all come to my house and we'll talk and laugh and eat and drink and have a lovely time of it.

Maryn, who wishes we'd all taken one of those Detroit houses and made an AW colony

Kylabelle
12-24-2013, 08:58 PM
Maryn, who wishes we'd all taken one of those Detroit houses and made an AW colony

Ooh what a good idea, is it too late?

:D:D:D

Brutal Mustang
12-24-2013, 09:08 PM
I have the opposite problem of Fenika. My folks are in central America, and I miss them! :cry:

PS. Fenika, I am interested in equine chiropractor stuff. I know of some horses that seem out-of-wack.

cornflake
12-24-2013, 09:46 PM
You can hide virtually - some relatives of mine used to call every year to inform people where they'd be "vacationing." Seems every year after a certain point, there were miraculous trips that couldn't be passed up around the holidays.

They'd just camp out at home and not answer the phone to avoid one relative, who the story was for, because saying 'we'd rather not be around you,' would invite nuclear fallout.

It seems extreme but it wasn't that big a deal really, and they had fun picking their imaginary destination and telling people, heh.

Can you try the accupuncture on yourself? ;) Is it possible to do accupuncture on oneself? That's weird, but if you could reach why wouldn't it work?

MaryMumsy
12-24-2013, 09:54 PM
:Hug2: to all of you dealing with problem relatives. We'll spend a few hours this evening with MIL and some others on that side of the family. Tomorrow we'll spend a few hours with my Dad at assisted living. Then tomorrow night, a nice peaceful dinner with just me and hubby and the cat.

MM

Fenika
12-24-2013, 09:58 PM
:) Detroit safehouse ftw.

And lots of horses have restrictions. Early chiropractic treatment is important so that joints stay healthy and mobile.

Brutal Mustang
12-25-2013, 01:07 AM
And lots of horses have restrictions. Early chiropractic treatment is important so that joints stay healthy and mobile.

My two are a bit stiff. Though I'm sure some of that is from the winter vacation they've been getting.

Fenika
12-25-2013, 01:11 AM
Core strength is important, but I'm sure they'd love a chiro/acupuncture session ;)

Darn, now I wish I had some horses to treat these next three days. I'm having withdraw. I'd much rather be out with horses or helping pets or something. There's too much good to be done to be listening to people spew crazy things about forced togetherness and watching them get drunk.

*sigh*

Brutal Mustang
12-25-2013, 03:08 AM
I wish you were working on my horses! They'd love that. They're the sort that don't care what you're doing with them as long as it's something.

Fenika
12-25-2013, 03:10 AM
:) They sound nice.

ZachJPayne
12-25-2013, 03:13 AM
I just moved 800 miles away from my family, just in time for the holidays.

Most of them are completely pissed that I'm not going to be there, but frankly, I'm overjoyed. This is the first time it's actually felt like Christmas. They're welcome to send checks and all the giftcards they want, but other than that . . . I really, truly don't care.

I may never go back to SoCal again :3

Sending hugs and warm thoughts for those who're struggling.

Rotes
12-25-2013, 03:27 AM
Is the roan in your picture your horse? If so, I am super jealous.
I'm terribly sorry to hear that. :/ Alcoholism is a very difficult thing. You cannot force her to get help, she has to make that decision for herself. Put your trust into the MD's involved.

If it makes you feel any better, my mother's family has porphyria. If Christmas ends up anything like thanksgiving, it will be a fun filled adventure fraught with episodes of abdominal pain and violent hallucinations. Oh yes, Everyone will want to talk about their sin issues as well. :P
YEHAW

Fenika
12-25-2013, 03:40 AM
Zach, I'm glad you got your Christmas back :)

The Red Dun Sabino in my av passed away a few years ago. She was a good mare. And more a honey dun than chestnut.

A few years ago I would get by with 'Well, at least I can listen to the absurd things people say when drunk.' Now it's just sad and insane and watching people go nuts over 'tradition/Christmas/family time/perceived ideas of what HAPPINESS must be for everyone involved' got old.

My family in Jersey doesn't have to deal with this crap. My uncle in Maryland does. My uncle in the Caribbean doesn't.

Go figure.

Kylabelle
12-25-2013, 03:43 AM
The Red Dun Sabino in my av passed away a few years ago. She was a good mare. And more a honey dun than chestnut.

Oh, now I understand the user title Ghost Horse. She is beautiful.

When we think of family... well, some of us count the four-leggeds among our family, and they are usually the saner ones.

Fenika
12-25-2013, 03:45 AM
Don't forget the two legged birds :)

I've known chickens to have more sense than some people.

Kylabelle
12-25-2013, 03:55 AM
Don't forget the two legged birds :)

I've known chickens to have more sense than some people.

Good point. :)

Zach, I also am glad you are feeling so empowered and expanded (I'm sort of guessing that but that's what it sounds like) from having made your move. I know it was a big risky step!

I've enjoyed lots of holidays alone; enough to find a kind of poignance also in looking at the groups and gatherings and knowing I'd really rather not be there but at the same time kind of wishing for a gathering I could feel that good with.... I don't think this is a rare feeling.

Rote, so you're in the presence of these folks, your family, right? Hang in there! I had been pretty neutral about being in a family scene this year, knowing my sister and her kids are fairly cool, but this bro in law is amazingly good at taking the fun out, for me at least. Right now, Christmas Eve, I feel like I am in the last part of a long trail and tomorrow is the end of the journey and then after that I can relax some. (Sister and bro in law both go back to work on Thursday and I will have some peace here again. Whew!)

Nothing here is as wild as some of what I'm seeing posted about, but my sister really wants to have it nice with her kids visiting, and he has a real hard time with order in the house, keeping things relatively clean, sitting down at a table to eat (he prefers to do his own thing and eat in bed all the time) and he is unable to talk about much except motors, cars, fixing stuff, and a little bit of 50s rock music but he doesn't ever talk about that much. Just the motors.

Very bizarre, IMO. Had NO idea what I was getting into.

He is also a control freak, and an incipient hoarder. I have to be careful not to cross him on which doors are open and which are closed, for example, or he'll find some way to make it an issue.

Meh, that's enough. It sucks my energy, focusing on it too much! And like I said, after tomorrow I believe I will have a break. (He's been home on vacation for 8 days now.)

:gaah

ETA: I thought this post had not posted because I got a "could not access" message from Firefox. Turned out the circuit that the router is on (in the other room) had blown. It blew because bro in law has turned the two small space heaters up to level 3 instead of leaving them at 2. Questions of safety aside, this turning them up is a perfect example of his controlling behavior. He knows perfectly well this blows the circuit. But he thinks they are "more efficient" set at 3. Maybe he forgot the last time it blew the circuit? Maybe he is just trying to get my goat? (Could be!)

This circuit also has the Christmas tree lights on it as well as the hall light.

Silly man.

Brutal Mustang
12-25-2013, 08:22 AM
Silly man.

Doesn't he know that turning up the central heat is more efficient than space heaters?

Kylabelle
12-25-2013, 08:29 AM
Doesn't he know that turning up the central heat is more efficient than space heaters?

It messes up his breathing too much, sister says. He can't handle it. Space heaters are the solution.

ETA: Okay, my brother in law could cause a total derail of this thread all by himself, because there is so much weird there. And it's not just a holidays problem, so I feel it's a little unfair of me to go on and on about him, sorry! Funny thing is, this is what happens IRL too, he takes up all the freakin space just by being so obnoxious bizarre weird!

Brutal Mustang
12-25-2013, 10:38 AM
It messes up his breathing too much, sister says. He can't handle it. Space heaters are the solution.

ETA: Okay, my brother in law could cause a total derail of this thread all by himself, because there is so much weird there. And it's not just a holidays problem, so I feel it's a little unfair of me to go on and on about him, sorry! Funny thing is, this is what happens IRL too, he takes up all the freakin space just by being so obnoxious bizarre weird!

Oh my. Sounds like a pansy.

mccardey
12-25-2013, 11:43 AM
Darlings - find your Happy Place. This (http://www.smh.com.au/national/antarctic-tourist-ship-trapped-by-sea-ice-20131225-2zwjr.html) is a good one.

:Hug2: to you all. Happy Christmas from me :)

lastlittlebird
12-25-2013, 12:14 PM
Ugh, sisters, amirite?

We actually had a fairly good Christmas up until now. Lots of family traveled to be here and it's the first time I've been on speaking terms with my sister for a while.

Then she threw a tantrum because her (7 year old) son wasn't paying enough attention to her (he was playing with the other kids).
She locked herself in her room all day, which was probably not a bad thing, although everyone kept asking where she was, and now that the rest of the family has gone she's emerged and made the poor kid cry after he had such a good day by laying some kind of guilt trip on him.

She keeps threatening to leave because we "don't want her here anyway." Mum keeps saying, no, don't be silly, it's Christmas, we don't want you to leave...
um, yes. Yes we do. I do, anyway. I want to sit down and enjoy cheesy films and leftover cheesecake in peace. I actually worked all day to help make sure everything went smoothly.

Oh well, at least we are not at the hospital or the police station this year. It's actually been relatively pretty good. And the food was amazing. And most of the company was good.

Hugs to everyone who is having rough holidays. Thank goodness Christmas only comes once per year!

Fenika
12-25-2013, 04:55 PM
Amen.

Things are currently quiet. I'm trying to figure out a good place to go study later- any ideas?!?

(I'm well past college days but I have to study for work :) )

Kylabelle
12-25-2013, 05:01 PM
Lastlittlebird! How nice to encounter you here though gosh, I could have wished for a happier circumstance. But yeah, I was just thinking, I would so much rather be alone today, than this. And I also have been working to make things nice for everyone else. :)

Kylabelle
12-25-2013, 05:06 PM
From mccardey's link:

Professor Turney didn't seem too bothered by being stranded. On Twitter, he wrote on Christmas Day: ''Heavy ice. Beautiful; light wind. Only -1degC. All well. Merry Xmas everyone from AAE.''

(That's the Australasian Antarctic Expedition)

Um. Did you mean to link this? Fascinating story, lovely rescue success, and I am happy NOT to be there. :D:D:D:D

Ol' Fashioned Girl
12-25-2013, 06:28 PM
This is when you pull up your big girl panties so tight you almost give yourself a wedgie. "Mom," you say, "you know I love you and my sisters, but this much togetherness isn't making anyone happy or celebrating the holiday. Instead, it's making me unhappy and you stressed. So I won't be there until [name a time], and I'll be leaving at [another later time]. I'll do my very best to be pleasant and make this a nice holiday, but know ahead of time that if things get negative like they did at Thanksgiving, I'm going to leave early."

And stick to it. You mom, your sisters, and whoever else is there can marvel at how you're ruining Christmas, but you won't be there to hear it, or absorb their abuse and dysfunction.

Maryn, knowing this is easy for her to say

QFT.

Ol' Boy and I stopped the madness years ago. My sister's family is... gah. Let's just say every year was so unpleasant, it ruined two months of every year with my dread of both Thanksgiving and Christmas. We declared an end to it. Now we dine with friends who are either orphaned or of a like sentiment at Thanksgiving; and at Christmas, we make the rounds dropping off gifts for the kids. We made arrangements loooong ago for the adults to donate to charities in lieu of gifts to us and we would do the same. Today, Ol' Boy and I cook dinner here and enjoy the day in peace.

Was it easy to break the Cycle of Madness? No. Was it worth it? Oh, yeah.

regdog
12-25-2013, 08:44 PM
I stay home with my Aunt. A couple of neighbors we like stopped by for brief visits.
I haven't celebrated with the rest of the family for years and probably never will. Anti-social, maybe, but it ensures I enjoy my holidays.

Blinkk
12-25-2013, 09:02 PM
Hugs to everyone whose having family probs. :( My bro is a drinker and my pops has anger issues, and my mom enables both of them. Good thing I moved 3 thousand miles across the content. :D

Unfortunately, I'm a little lonely this Christmas, but then I realize I've got the internet and I've got ALL OF YOU right at my fingertips, so all I need next is a nice warm cup of mocha coffee and google docs and I'm golden. And a presentation on equine acupuncture and chiropractic. That stuff is valuable.

Putputt
12-25-2013, 09:21 PM
Ugh, sisters, amirite?

We actually had a fairly good Christmas up until now. Lots of family traveled to be here and it's the first time I've been on speaking terms with my sister for a while.

Then she threw a tantrum because her (7 year old) son wasn't paying enough attention to her (he was playing with the other kids).
She locked herself in her room all day, which was probably not a bad thing, although everyone kept asking where she was, and now that the rest of the family has gone she's emerged and made the poor kid cry after he had such a good day by laying some kind of guilt trip on him.

She keeps threatening to leave because we "don't want her here anyway." Mum keeps saying, no, don't be silly, it's Christmas, we don't want you to leave...
um, yes. Yes we do. I do, anyway. I want to sit down and enjoy cheesy films and leftover cheesecake in peace. I actually worked all day to help make sure everything went smoothly.

Oh well, at least we are not at the hospital or the police station this year. It's actually been relatively pretty good. And the food was amazing. And most of the company was good.

Hugs to everyone who is having rough holidays. Thank goodness Christmas only comes once per year!

Her poor son! :( That makes me so sad because the little boy probably thought he's done something wrong. :(

Hugs to everyone with family problems. I have the opposite problem, which is that the rest of the hippo brood is on the other side of the world, in Indonesia...but Skype helps. I wish all of you lots of hugs and hot, chocolatey drinks! :Hug2:

Fenika
12-25-2013, 09:27 PM
The drama llama and her pothead toy have gone north!

Grandma is reading my copy of Healing with Whole Foods and taking notes. Mom is upstairs. I'm taking a break from baking.

Well, preparing to bake. The cookie dough is in the fridge and the pumpkin muffins are half way prepped. All gluten free :)

Blinkk
12-25-2013, 09:39 PM
Well, preparing to bake. The cookie dough is in the fridge and the pumpkin muffins are half way prepped. All gluten free :)

I love to bake. My peeps asked me to make chocolate lava cakes (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/molten-lava-cakes-recipe/index.html). I'm also making gratuitous shortbread cookies, just cause. But alas, none of it is gluten free. I've been wanting to try a gluten free diet for a month and see how it goes. But not the Christmas month. xD

Ken
12-25-2013, 10:05 PM

... perhaps a bit of cyanide in his eggnog ?

j/k !

Fenika
12-25-2013, 10:11 PM
GF is good for a lot of people because of what we've done to wheat and all the stuff we process it with. The body can only take so much.

Kylabelle
12-25-2013, 10:51 PM
Blinkk, because my sister works in a health food store and brings home lots of stuff, I know there are baking mixes that are both gluten free and also actually good. Lots of different wheat flour substitutes have been tested and tried, so it's possible to do about anything. You do have to learn what works and what doesn't, and I am not knowledgeable about that.

Ken, :roll: Yeah, except right now I feel too sorry for him. I appreciate the sentiment, though. :D:D:D

Fenika, Healing With Whole Foods is one of my all time favorite books.

I am exhausted from everything today. It's over, except for some cleanup, and I have to take something over to our neighbor Willy who is alone this year. And then, that's it.

whew.

Ken
12-25-2013, 11:18 PM
... good holidays everyone.

"To thyself, be enough."

Fenika
12-26-2013, 12:21 AM
I feel sick :(

I prolly shouldn't have eaten all those oatmeal raisin with chocolate chip cookies ;)

And when I finally got over the worse of the sugar headache, I prolly shouldn't have had another half a cookie :evil

Kylabelle
12-26-2013, 12:59 AM
Aww, sorry you feel sick. Those cookies (of whatever flavor) will do it to ya every time. They are right fiends.

:D

I'm just exhausted. I probably said that already. Too tired to remember.

shakeysix
12-26-2013, 01:13 AM
I was in the middle of preparing a festive Mexican fruit salad when my middle and youngest daughters had a blow up. I was putting up with my idiot brother and asshole bro-in-law just fine but this was the icing on the Christmas cake. Screw the presents, screw the family dinner--cheese sandwiches in the peace of my own home. I'll try again next year for goodwill to men and bickering daughters--s6

Kylabelle
12-26-2013, 01:43 AM
:Thumbs:

Blinkk
12-26-2013, 02:31 AM
I feel sick :(

I prolly shouldn't have eaten all those oatmeal raisin with chocolate chip cookies ;)

And when I finally got over the worse of the sugar headache, I prolly shouldn't have had another half a cookie :evil

*comforts*
But you did the right thing. The headache is worth it.

Fenika
12-26-2013, 03:18 AM
Totally worth it :)

And now I feel much better, just in time to stuff myself stupid with xmas duck.

Looks like it's still just me, mom, and grandma for the rest of the night. Hurrah!

Ona Mission
12-26-2013, 04:34 AM
Giggle time. And happy holidays, pooks. Oh, it gets good. Trust me. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InYvRyX2Fu4)

Kylabelle
12-26-2013, 05:20 AM
:e2faint:

I'm eating pecans and chocolate and wondering if I've really survived or not.

Fenika
12-26-2013, 05:22 AM
Hey, it's smooth sailing from here on out. Minor post holiday retail craziness, which will rapidly stabilize to a normal level of nutty, a little icky bump for Single's Awareness Day in February, and then months of freedom.

Until Black Friday moves to the day after Halloween in 2014.

Kylabelle
12-26-2013, 05:25 AM
LOL. Took me a few to get what Singles Awareness Day is. I am that wiped out.

Yes things will improve greatly here because bro in law goes back to work tomorrow. So I look forward to having hours and hours every day without craziness other than that of my own devising.

mccardey
12-26-2013, 05:26 AM
You did well, kids :)

Fenika
12-26-2013, 05:44 AM
We survived :) It wasn't pretty, but we survived.

Except those who hid. Some may have been lonely, but they had sanity.

cornflake
12-26-2013, 06:00 AM
Have you gotten that whipped cream out of your fur? I made spiked hot cocoa before and I'm a lil worried about the crazed look in your eyes there Kyla.

Kylabelle
12-26-2013, 06:05 AM
LOL! I keep thinking there must be a fish down in there, somewhere....

MaryMumsy
12-26-2013, 06:20 AM
Giggle time. And happy holidays, pooks. Oh, it gets good. Trust me. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InYvRyX2Fu4)

:Jaw:

Too funny.

MM

Blinkk
12-26-2013, 06:27 AM

Aw, that was cute and fuzzy and HILARIOUS and awesome all around. :D Thanks for sharing.

mario_c
12-26-2013, 06:28 AM
Ah family gatherings - if useful for nothing else, a glowing reminder of why we rent. Take all my money, keep me away from these people another year...

lastlittlebird
12-26-2013, 09:10 AM
Her poor son! :( That makes me so sad because the little boy probably thought he's done something wrong. :(

Oh he's very smart and loving and he understands his mother has problems (and she doesn't have custody of him, he was here because it was our turn for Christmas this year). He's the only grandchild on both sides so he's supported and adored by a lot of people.
It did make me sad (and angry) as well because in the moment he was very upset, but she apologized sincerely to him and us today and I've decided to try and let it go completely.
She is actually trying really hard to overcome her mental illness and having so many relatives here for Christmas was always going to be very difficult for her.

Thank you for so many lovely messages of support and for providing a place for me to vent a little on the day and in the moment. I'm hesitant to be too optimistic, but I think, in the long run, our little family is finally starting to heal, so that's a very nice Christmas present.

I hope everyone else survived as well! Lots of love to you all. :Hug2:

ZachJPayne
12-26-2013, 09:18 AM
It's over, thank the Gods.

I managed to sleep in until 11 AM, for the first time since I moved. Then I stayed in my room on the computer all day, emerging only to eat and drink. Tomorrow, I get to leave the house and have other establishments be open.

Ken
12-26-2013, 04:22 PM

... nice vid. Mariah Carey looks cute. Something a bit different about her though can't quite figure out what ?

Fenika
12-26-2013, 04:58 PM

Today is aquarium day with friends. Huzzah!

Blinkk
12-26-2013, 07:58 PM

Today is aquarium day with friends. Huzzah!

Not sure what an aquarium day is, but it sounds fun. Are goldfish involved?

shakeysix
12-26-2013, 09:08 PM
Shedd's Aquarium in Chicago? I love that place.

Today I must drive 30 miles to retrieve my half assembled salad--pineapple, pomegranate, bananas, oranges, beets, jicama, limes, and most especially the six dollar bottle of anise seed--from my sister's kitchen. Her kid is 1,300 miles away so she cannot understand why I let mine get to me. I'll probably get a lecture on motherhood. Folks with only one long distance kid know so much.

Oh, well, I'm not in the hospital with a stroke. There has been no real break in the family--just a cooling off period so far. Anyone up for Ensalada de Noche Buena? There is going to be one hell of an abundance--s6

Kylabelle
12-26-2013, 09:29 PM
I'd love some of your salad, Shakes. :D It sounds utterly awesome.

I hope you can retrieve it and all its parts without too much emotional labor and verbal jousting.

Fenika
12-26-2013, 09:33 PM
Camden NJ Aquarium. There may be goldfish about but theyd be for feeding ;)

Blinkk
12-26-2013, 10:08 PM
Camden NJ Aquarium. There may be goldfish about but theyd be for feeding ;)

oh, have fun. :D Say hi to the sharks for me.

shakeysix
12-26-2013, 10:26 PM
Sea horses? Do they have sea horses? --s6

mccardey
12-26-2013, 11:19 PM
Not sure what an aquarium day is, but it sounds fun. Are goldfish involved?

Australia has goldfish (http://www.watoday.com.au/environment/save-our-swan/giant-feral-goldfish-invade-was-river-systems-20131011-2vcwk.html)...

mirandashell
12-27-2013, 12:03 AM
Bloody Hell! We're gonna need a bigger bowl!

Blinkk
12-27-2013, 12:11 AM
We're just two lost souls living in a fish bowl

Blinkk
12-27-2013, 12:12 AM
Australia has goldfish (http://www.watoday.com.au/environment/save-our-swan/giant-feral-goldfish-invade-was-river-systems-20131011-2vcwk.html)...

THAT'S NOT PHOTOSHOPPED?!

mccardey
12-27-2013, 12:24 AM
THAT'S NOT PHOTOSHOPPED?!

It's not photoshopped, but for all we really know the guy might only be three or four inches tall.

MaryMumsy
12-27-2013, 12:30 AM

The one in the photo is not a goldfish, it is a carp. Don't you people read? ;)

Actually, if you have ever seen a koi pond, those are goldfish. But the goldfish most people have in bowls are only about 2 inches long.

MM

Blinkk
12-27-2013, 12:58 AM
oh, lol. Why it is a carp. Back to the eggnog.

Koi are goldfish? I thought koi were koi, and goldfish were goldfish...?

Time for Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koi#Differences_from_goldfish):

Goldfish (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldfish) were developed in China (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/China) more than a thousand years ago by selectively breeding (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_breeding) Prussian carp for color mutations (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutation). By the Song Dynasty (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Song_Dynasty) (960 – 1279), yellow, orange, white, and red-and-white colorations had been developed. Goldfish (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldfish) (Carassius auratus) and Prussian carp (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prussian_carp) (Carassius gibelio) are now considered different species. Goldfish were introduced to Japan in the 16th century and to Europe in the 17th century.[3] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koi#cite_note-bristol-3) Koi, on the other hand, were developed from common carp (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_carp) in Japan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan) in the 1820s. Koi are domesticated common carp (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_carp) (Cyprinus carpio) that are selected or culled (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culling) for color; they are not a different species, and will revert to the original coloration within a few generations if allowed to breed freely.Wow, these forums teach me so much.

mccardey
12-27-2013, 12:59 AM
The one in the photo is not a goldfish, it is a carp. Don't you people read? ;)

Actually, if you have ever seen a koi pond, those are goldfish. But the goldfish most people have in bowls are only about 2 inches long.

MM

Goldfish are a species of carp, aren't they? Which is why they're prone to grow like that in the wild.

That's my understanding.

quickWit
12-27-2013, 01:01 AM
mmm, delicious goldfish...

mccardey
12-27-2013, 01:16 AM
mmm, delicious goldfish...

He'd have you for an entree....

;)

mirandashell
12-27-2013, 01:32 AM
Would he have his nuts for starters?

mccardey
12-27-2013, 01:38 AM
Would he have his nuts for starters?

I'm so not touching that one...

mirandashell
12-27-2013, 03:21 AM
Not even with pickle?

Ona Mission
12-27-2013, 06:55 AM
Too salty.

Fenika
12-27-2013, 04:50 PM
Ah, like all good threads, we've flown off the rails.

:)

Ona Mission
12-27-2013, 04:57 PM
And just like in all good threads, it's time to blame qW .:roll:

quickWit
12-27-2013, 05:30 PM
I blame mccardey. She started it.

Kylabelle
12-27-2013, 05:35 PM
^No, clearly, clearly, it was your nuts of power.

Ona Mission
12-27-2013, 05:46 PM
*pats Kyla's kitty*

Shut it, bunneh.

*glares*

Kylabelle
12-27-2013, 06:02 PM
*pats Kyla's kitty*

Shut it, bunneh.

*glares*

D..did I...say something...wrong?

:chair