PDA

View Full Version : Do you guys have a bucket list?

Susie
12-24-2013, 01:57 AM
Just wondered if you had one 'n if you fulfilled any stuff on your list. :) I don't but have fulfilled some of my dreams.

Maryn
12-24-2013, 02:06 AM
I'm like you, Susie. No formal list, but in the course of my life I've managed to fulfill some dreams. While there are still things I'd enjoy doing, if I were to be hit by a bus I wouldn't be leaving this world with a list of things undone. Except the laundry, of course.

Maryn, luckier than many

Susie
12-24-2013, 02:18 AM
That sounds great, Maryn! Luv your post, specially the part about 'except the laundry, of course...' My sentiments exactly! :) Happy holly-days to you 'n all!

PorterStarrByrd
12-24-2013, 03:18 AM
I have one, but don't have to write it down. The voices keep track of it for me and keep adding to it. They tell me I'm going to visit a puffin next year or get another colonoscopy if I don't. They are very demanding with lots of penalties.

Susie
12-24-2013, 04:12 AM
Pls. Porter, visit a puffin. I don't think you want a colonoscopy for Xmas or any other time. :D

KellyAssauer
12-24-2013, 05:30 AM
Nope. Sorry. No bucket list here.
Bucket still means mop to me, and I'm all against that!

;)

Jehhillenberg
12-24-2013, 05:39 AM
Hmm, guess I should actually write one out.

Mr Flibble
12-24-2013, 05:54 AM
I have a list of buckets.

Does that count?

ap123
12-24-2013, 06:02 AM
No bucket list.

But if I had one, I'm certain it would involve owning a washer and dryer. That would be a beautiful experience.

Mr Flibble
12-24-2013, 06:04 AM
OK
I gotta ask

So how do you do your washing now?

GardeningMomma
12-24-2013, 06:05 AM
I usually like to set the bar low so I am sure to succeed, but I must confess the whole bucket list idea fascinates me.

I'm so fly by the seat of my pants that I've always just fulfilled whatever whims I had until I had kids, though, so I'm not sure what would go on it.

(I sure know how to cast myself in a good light, huh?)

ap123
12-24-2013, 06:07 AM
No bucket list.

But if I had one, I'm certain it would involve owning a washer and dryer. That would be a beautiful experience.

The laundry room of my building.

But my own washer and dryer…blissful sigh.

Mr Flibble
12-24-2013, 06:11 AM
The laundry room of my building.

But my own washer and dryer…blissful sigh.

Oh right - I was envisaging handwashing an stuff
laundrettes used to be all over the place here -- I used one when I was married to my first husband, there were loads to chose from -- but I don't even know where the nearest one is now. Everyone has their own, I guess? (Flats here don't have a communal laundry room, thought they might have a communal washing line)

ap123
12-24-2013, 06:16 AM
Ha, it's true, it could be much worse. *Now imagining myself beating laundry against a rock.*

Then I'd have to develop a bucket list that = move to Hawaii. Bathing suits only, laundry solved.

OJCade
12-24-2013, 06:20 AM
I do - it gets longer and longer every year. But I've managed to cross some stuff off it, so that's good. Been to Paris, walked the Milford Track, gone parachuting... that sort of thing.

I don't expect ever to complete it (where's the fun in having nothing left to dream about?) but it's a reminder to myself not to get stuck in a rut.

The one thing I absolutely want to cross off this coming year: learn to scuba dive. I think that would be fun.

Susie
12-24-2013, 07:25 AM
great posts, guys. Keep 'um coming! :) There's :Cake:s in it for you! :)

Yeshanu
12-24-2013, 07:34 AM
My "bucket" list:

1) Fix the bucket.
2) Don't kick it.

:D

Brightdreamer
12-24-2013, 07:48 AM
My "bucket" list:

1) Fix the bucket.
2) Don't kick it.

Dang it, is there still a hole in that bucket?

I told Henry to fix that ages ago!

Yeshanu
12-24-2013, 08:01 AM
Dang it, is there still a hole in that bucket?

I told Henry to fix that ages ago!

With what shall he fix it? :D

On a serious note, I don't have a bucket list. It would only make me depressed, because I'll never have enough time and money to do everything worth doing in the world.

Instead, I have a list of five things I want to accomplish in the next five or ten years, and I am going to do something every day to make those goals happen. Along the way, I'll also take advantages of experiences that I never would have put on a list, but which are exhilirating nonetheless.

Things I've done that I never would have thought to put on a list if you'd asked my (much) younger self:

Fired a rifle (and won competitions), jumped off a cliff, scuba dive amongst shipwrecks, go to a bar to support some of my friends and their band who were being scouted by EMI (this was done with a whole busload of elderly church folks, btw), gone on a two-week wilderness canoe trip, organized a national conference for theological students, preached in front of my seminary principal and a lot of my professors (not in a classroom setting, but in a real worship service)...

Life is an adventure. The adventure continues, with or without a list. I think not having a list is more fun. :)

KellyAssauer
12-24-2013, 08:32 AM
I've come up with this so far:

keep head out of bucket during holidays...

It's not a list.
It's more of a goal.

Brightdreamer
12-24-2013, 08:35 AM
I've come up with this so far:

keep head out of bucket during holidays...

It's not a list.
It's more of a goal.

Buckets don't work.

Here's a better way to avoid conflict during the holidays (http://www.pleated-jeans.com/2013/12/18/how-to-avoid-conflict-with-your-family-during-the-holidays/). (Minor language warning)

PorterStarrByrd
12-24-2013, 08:37 AM
Pez Museum check
World's Largest Jackalope check
World's largest garlic Garland check
Visit all 50 states just need Alaska
International Vinegar Museum check
Mustard Museum
Be a cowboy check
Spoil grandkids check
Get book published
Umpire a World Championship check
get into a hall of fame check
go amethyst hunting check
go thunder egg hunting check
go tourmaline hunting
go metal detecting
See Niagra Falls check
See the grand canyon check
kiss a playmate of the month check
See the Alamo check
See Mt Rushmore check
Stop at Wall Drugs check
attend a mountain oyster festival check
Attend the international fiddle festival check
make maple syrup check
so many more undone and done
visit the potato museum check

benbradley
12-24-2013, 09:02 AM
It's been suggested that I should go to Dragon*Con, as I live in the area (or near enough, I drive to Atlanta often enough), it doesn't cost THAT much, and I must know at least a dozen people I've met in person, and dozens more online, who regularly attend.

I've only glanced at all the different tracks, and it's so big and has so much interesting stuff (even discounting the tons of stuff I'm not interested in) that I'll have a hard time deciding between various things I want to attend.

Porter's list reminds me, there's some vintage computer museum in California I want to visit, IIRC one of the Babbage machines that were made in the last decade or so is on permanent display there, as well as other stuff I want to see.

I've been to several of the Smithsonian buildings in DC, but that was when I was 12 years old. I want to go back.

Chris P
12-24-2013, 09:16 AM
A couple years ago I came across a career aspiration statement I wrote for a program I applied to (and was accepted to) when I was 17. In it, I said I wanted to go to graduate school, work in pollution monitoring and abatement, conduct new product safety and efficacy testing, plan and execute scientific experiments, and a few other things I can't think of right now. Not on the list but in my heart was getting married, having a comfortable house in a quiet suburb, and if children were part of that life then so be it.

I had accomplished ALL of these things by the time I was 40. I found the letter when I was cleaning out the house after the divorce, when I was looking for a new job because I'd accomplished everything I could in the current one, and saw the door wide open to the second half of my life.

So here I am, in the Peace Corps in Africa which I'd wanted to do since I was 8 years old, turning my eyes to what's next for me in August when my term expires, with bigger dreams than ever before--not only for work life, but also writing and romance.

My God, it's been a great life and it's only getting better.

Susie
12-24-2013, 09:26 AM
super posts, guys. Thx! Happy holidays! Keep posting, pls. :)

Caitlin Black
12-24-2013, 09:41 AM
I don't necessarily have a bucket list... But a fellow AWer turned me on to this thing called "101 things to do in 1001 days". The premise is simple: make a list of 101 things you want to do, and you then have 1001 days to do it in. (It's a good idea to write down the end date, or else you'll quickly lose track.)

So I have a variety of things on there. I've done something like 25 of the goals, and it's not been an entire year quite yet. But the thing I liked about it was that I had a 3-years-ish timeline to do things in, instead of the nebulous "some day". I probably won't do all of them - but it's been fun so far. :)

And *most* of the goals I made are things that I can achieve at this point in my life. Something that would take a long time - well those things aren't on this particular list, exactly.

Alpha Echo
12-24-2013, 08:11 PM
I don't have a list. I used to. Crossed some things off. I've realized a lot of the things I'd like to do, I never will be able to do. I want to travel the world, but my husband is not a traveler, so it most likely won't happen.

Lorcroftlegacy
12-24-2013, 10:22 PM
I have one, but the only thing I've crossed off is number 48: write a book.
1 down 124 to go.
The items on the list are incredibly varied. The list contains such items as:
Getting my novel published
Solving the Rubik's Cube
Attempting stand up comedy
Watching the Detroit Red Wings win the Stanley Cup
As well as a number of other things that I really don't feel like mentioning at this time.

Ambrosia
12-24-2013, 10:42 PM
I never made one because I plan to live forever.

PorterStarrByrd
12-24-2013, 10:44 PM
Yeah one more ...

see everyone on this thread have a Merry Christmas and a happy new year

stormie
12-24-2013, 10:47 PM
I've never thought of having a bucket list. I'm too afraid I wouldn't accomplish anything on it.

But here are a few things I can think of off the top of my head:

Visit the Pacific coast of the US. Take a month and drive along the coastline, from SoCal to Washington state.

Or someday visit Italy and England.

Or work as a museum docent or an interpretor at a living museum (historical village)

To live more simply. Sometimes I think I'm too materialistic.

Kitty Pryde
12-24-2013, 11:15 PM
I have a list, but it's not really on paper anywhere. One thing I crossed off my list this summer was to get on the jumbotron at a pro sports game. My school had extra tickets to the Sparks game at Staples Center and they gave them to me. We were dancing like maniacs with our jerseys and foam fingers, so I had to work quite hard to achieve it!

Some others I hope to do in the next five years:

-bike tour through England

-my first century bike ride (I've done 96 miles so 100 miles won't be too bad!)

-one more sailing trip with my parents

-teach all my classes for a day wearing a crazy costume

-run a half marathon (and then add 'run a marathon' to my list)

-ski Whistler

-oh yeah, have my novel published I guess!

stormie
12-24-2013, 11:25 PM
-teach all my classes for a day wearing a crazy costume

A friend of mine did that and the kids (biology high school classes) loved it. So go for it!

Kitty Pryde
12-24-2013, 11:28 PM
A friend of mine did that and the kids (biology high school classes) loved it. So go for it!

I teach math. It has been suggested by some of my nerdier students that I might be the Mathemagician (from phantom tollbooth), which would be a great costume. I need a generic Merlin ish costume to decorate. Or I could dress up as a Pie, but that might be inconvenient.

Caitlin Black
12-24-2013, 11:52 PM
Solving the Rubik's Cube

This one jumped out at me. I know a guy who can solve the Rubik's Cube. Apparently he learned by going on Google. There are "codes" for how to solve it. It still takes 5+ minutes, but that's the slower, easier way. Apparently there are far more complicated "codes" where you can solve it in under a minute.

So that's what I'd suggest - do some quick Googling, and write down the easier codes. I'm pretty sure to solve it without help would require a massive amount of complicated math.

:)

ETA: Maybe Kitty Pryde, our resident Mathemagician could help you with the math. :D

benbradley
12-25-2013, 01:17 AM
This one jumped out at me. I know a guy who can solve the Rubik's Cube. Apparently he learned by going on Google.
I've seen a few "cubing" videos - there's a guy who solves ... actually, there are many Professor videos:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Rubik%27s+Professor

There are "codes" for how to solve it. It still takes 5+ minutes, but that's the slower, easier way. Apparently there are far more complicated "codes" where you can solve it in under a minute.

So that's what I'd suggest - do some quick Googling, and write down the easier codes. I'm pretty sure to solve it without help would require a massive amount of complicated math.

ETA: Maybe Kitty Pryde, our resident Mathemagician could help you with the math. :D
I solved it circa 1979-1980 (when this thing was first marketed and the Cube and its spinoffs were wildly popular for a short time) after owning it for six months, and reading some hints in the Mathematical Games column in Scientific American (there was a later cover article on the Cube). The main hint is to look for "macros." A macro is a sequence of moves, usually 5 to 7, that does something - often if you do it and then do its mirror image, often rotated by 90 degrees or a multiple, you will be left with a small number (like three) of changed cubes.

Once i found a method I practiced it, and could do it in three minutes regularly. My best time was 2:30, but there were teenagers (okay, I was an old guy in my early 20s) in TV contests who could do it in 30 seconds. I don't think they had as advanced algorithms back then as exist now, they just learned to do the similar macros at blinding speeds.

I remember how to do most of it, but there's one sequence I had of about 13 moves that I don't quite remember, and that keeps me from solving it nowadays.

I might suggest NOT looking up solutions online, but trying from what I wrote above, and see if you can solve it yourself without any more hints. If you do, it'll feel like a much bigger accomplishment. :-)

The "mathematics" behind the Rubik's Cube is Group Theory, but I don't think it's of much help, unless perhaps you already know it very well (named the pieces in a circle starting with a corner piece: a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h and i, - when you rotate it, the corner pieces rotate - a goes to c, which goes to e, which goes to g, which then goes to the original a's position. The side pieces rotate the similarly. But this is obvious by observation...):
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_theory

That's another thing that is/was kinda on my list, get a degree in mathematics (or more precisely, get the knowledge one would get while earning the degree), but my high school life was messed up to the point I was lucky to get into college at all, and it only offered engineering degrees. In the past ten years I read "Journey to Genius" which I think is a great book on mathematics and its history - if I had read it in high school it might have motivated me to want a math degree, but it wasn't even published until after I was out of college. I did want to do something in science, probably physics, but engineering was (almost) close enough.

Susie
12-25-2013, 03:10 AM
So interesting posts, guys. Way2go. Calls for par-tay :Cake:s. Xmas is almost here. I'm getting excited 'bout it :D

Susie
12-25-2013, 04:30 AM
There must be mo' buckets in this place, I'm sure :D *hint* :)

Kylabelle
12-25-2013, 04:31 AM
Susie my dear, there is no bucket big enough for my list.

Happy happy Christmas to ya, and hey, I am about to kick over 8000 posts! tee hee

Susie
12-25-2013, 07:32 AM
:roll:s Too funneh, Kyla! :Hug2:s

ZachJPayne
12-25-2013, 07:47 AM
No formal, list, really.

I've been so much of a passive observer in life, that normal things would be huge accomplishments. Fall in love with somebody who loves me, be kissed, make love, get married, have a family. Those would probably fill up my list -- and be as much as a challenge for me as "climb everest" or "land on the moon" would be for normal folk.

Valar Morghulis, Valar Dohaeris. That's all I can really expect out of life, yanno?

J.S.F.
12-25-2013, 07:57 AM
Having almost kicked the bucket from a medicinal overdose when I was 33--I'll be fifty-two in a matter of days, and feel free to wish me Happy Birthday on January 1st--yeah, really!--I have no bucket list wishes, save a few.

1. Watch my kids grow up, get married, and hold my grandchildren.

2. Write a bestseller. (Yeah...riiiiiiiiiiight.) I've been published before and will be again, but I'd love to write a bestseller, have my ugly mug plastered all over the papers and online and be feted for my deeds.

Hey, a guy can dream, right?

3. Go and visit Skartaris one day, either with my family or alone. I guess that's enough.

Brightdreamer
12-25-2013, 08:24 AM
1. Watch my kids grow up, get married, and hold my grandchildren.

Good call. Children are messy - let someone else hold 'em... ;)

J.S.F.
12-25-2013, 08:38 AM
Good call. Children are messy - let someone else hold 'em... ;)
---

That's what my wife is for...

spamwarrior
12-26-2013, 06:47 AM
I do! Of sorts. On that list is graduating with my PhD (maybe this is more a life goal in general?), publishing a scholarly type book, running a review publication, and visiting England, Japan, and the West Coast of the USA.

KellyAssauer
12-26-2013, 07:02 AM
*crosses off saying:*

Spammy! :Hug2:

one more time... ;)

J.S.F.
12-26-2013, 07:19 AM
Forgot to add something. Being issued the 'Ban Certificate' by Andre was pretty awesome, but to figure somewhere in Kelly A's sig would be just as awesome, if not awesomer. (Is that a word? If it ain't, I just inwented it!)

And with that, back to writing 'The Incredible Granny Awesomesauce'.