Questions about explosions

valerielynn

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.booksie.com
I've decided to rewrite my first chapter. The original plan was to have a car accident in the first chapter but that's not really working out because I need all of my characters in or around the same area because something big is going to happen. So I've decided to have some kind of an explosion in the first chapter, which is an idea that I visited once but decided against, and now I am re-visiting it.

This explosion will take place in a building, and it will be some kind of an event that the Senator is holding. At least 4 of my characters will end up dying (including the senator) in this explosion and at least 3 of my characters will be injured.

I don't really know anything about explosions so I have a lot of questions. My first question is when there is an explosion is there or can there be a fire that follows? What type of injuries can occur from an explosion? I don't want my characters who end up injured to lose any kind of limb. I just want them to be injured enough to the point where they may need surgery or just a short hospital stay.

This explosion is no accident and it's caused by someone who is after the Senator and his family. So since this explosion is caused by someone what could set the device to go off? Would something or somebody have to trigger it or a timer? The only thing I know about explosions is from what I've seen on TV shows and I'm sure some of things that I've seen isn't even really how explosions work. Anything you can tell me about explosions or explosive devices would be very helpful!