PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to register a new copyright for a revised edition of same title?

HistorySleuth
12-22-2013, 09:30 AM
I have several questions. I hope you can help. I am doing a revised edition of the book below through Amazon for Createspace and KDP. (Plus Nook, iBooks etc.)

Here is the copyright info for our book from the US copyright office as follows
Type of Work:Text
Registration Number / Date:TX0005343357 / 2001-02-07
Title:Bread & butter / by Cindy Amrhein & Ellen Lea Bachorski.
Description:213 p.
Copyright Claimant:Cindy Amrhein, 1957- & Ellen Lea Bachorski, 1959-
Date of Creation:2000
Date of Publication:2001-01-16

NamesAmrhein, Cindy, 1957- (http://cocatalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?SC=Author&SEQ=20121030161115&PID=sBk_KIIoU8gRh4oUh7UY8nWf2pXm&SA=Amrhein,+Cindy,+1957-)

Bachorski, Ellen Lea, 1959- (http://cocatalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?SC=Author&SEQ=20121030161115&PID=sBk_KIIoU8gRh4oUh7UY8nWf2pXm&SA=Bachorski,+Ellen+Lea,+1959-)

The full title is actually Bread & Butter: The Murders of Polly Frisch. (I'm not sure how to correct that with them) It is an 1860s non-fiction true crime. It was self-published through Morris Publishing (off-set printer) and had no ISBN. It is on file with the Library of Congress.

Do I need to apply for a new copyright or just put the new date after the old one? I'm changing punctuation, typos, and awkward sentences. I have a couple pages of new content. It will have a new cover too as we used Morris Publishing's stock art at the time.

2) I purchased a block of ISBNs. Although I hear it's not necessary for ebooks, I still want to put one on the Kindle edition (aside from the POD of course). I understand that MOBI file is for Kindle, are the other readers universal or are they all different file types too? Do the ISBNs go by file type for eBooks?

3) I have a Createspace user account. Do I need a separate one for KDP?

Any guidance is much appreciated.

Cindy

(PS. The edition in my siggy is the first edition, 2nd printing.)

Medievalist
12-22-2013, 08:02 PM
The couple of pages of new content suggest yes.

There should be instructions on LOC about an updated registration.

HistorySleuth
12-23-2013, 03:05 AM
Dah, I should have thought to look there.:e2hammer:Thanks Medievalist.

So that leaves the questions, do I need a separate ISBN for each type of ebook file? And do I need a seperate user acount for createspace and KDP if they're both through Amazon?

Medievalist
12-23-2013, 03:43 AM
So that leaves the questions, do I need a separate ISBN for each type of ebook file? And do I need a seperate user acount for createspace and KDP if they're both through Amazon?

Yes, to both, if I'm understanding your question.

Each edition of a particular printed book needs a unique ISBN.

Each digital file format (i.e. epub or .pad or .mobi) needs to have a unique ISBN.

merrihiatt
12-23-2013, 04:04 AM
And do I need a seperate user acount for createspace and KDP if they're both through Amazon?

You can format your book for CreateSpace and have them reformat it for Kindle, but you will want to track those sales. You do that from your Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing dashboard, which you will need an account for. Personally, I like to format my paperback and e-books separately so no wayward code ends up in the e-book causing issues. I write in Word, save as web page filtered, use MobiPocket to convert the html document (which is the one I upload to Amazon KDP). For CS, i write in Word and save as a PDF (which is the one I upload to CS).

HistorySleuth
12-23-2013, 09:15 AM
Thanks again Medievalist, that makes sense. I have a block of 10 ISBNs so I'll be all good.

Good tips merrihiatt. Word is horrible about carrying format over into anything. I'm not worried about the physical book layout, I do that kind of stuff all the time. The MOBI on the other hand, may take me a bit. I will give your suggestions a try. I also downloaded Calibre and Sigil to experiment with as I have pictures too and I'm not sure how easy that's going to be.